Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to avoid doctors rooms etc. To avoid catching but also lessen their burden. I bought a pulse oxymeter cheap on ebay so i can check my blood oxygen saturation levels at home. The flu doesnt affect saturation levels but covid -19 can. SpO2 goes below 94% and i go to doctor for lung MRI.
And the doctor will schedule it 2 weeks out by which time, if it's coronavirus, your immune system will deal with it already, one way or another. It's not like MRI machines sit idle.

It's nothing of the sort. Shit, they don't even know the mechanism of action of most existing drugs, and diagnosis for anything off the beaten path is just guessing most of the time. Don't get me started on dietology and psychology / psychiatry either. People practicing (and charging a lot of money!) in those fields have no fucking clue whatsoever. Both my wife and I have been misdiagnosed with some severe, incurable shit, which threw us for a loop before we figured out that an MRI can, in fact, result in a complete mis-diagnosis. My wife in particular was told she has like 5 years until she'll need a wheelchair due to a spinal cord abnormality. As you can imagine we took the news pretty hard. Yet in a repeat MRI 2 years later another doctor did not see this (incurable!) "abnormality".

Stop treating doctors as these infallible oracles that know WTF they're doing 100% of the time. Just because they paid $300K for their diploma and studied for a decade to get it doesn't mean they're infallible. At best, they know what they're doing most of the time. At worst, they can cause harm: medical errors are the third most prevalent cause of death in the US, right after heart disease and cancer.

That's not to say you should take your medical advice from a forum or, god forbid, Facebook. Doctor is still your best option 100% of the time, medical error fatality rate notwithstanding. It's just to say that it's not as precise a science as people make it out to be.
my mom died 15 years ago because a nurse made a mistake and cut her so she bled to death. i said bye to her before work in her hospital room at 9am like every morning, and rushed back at 3pm to find her dead.

i don't have an intrinsic trust in doctors.

but they're the ones providing data, so we have to get it from somewhere right?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, Chris.

I'm actually looking forward to the day when they can say with confidence "take this pill and it'll cure your condition in a week, guaranteed". But we're very, very far from that point at the moment. In fact only very few drugs actually cure diseases (one that comes to mind is that $80K drug for hepatitis C). Most either only temporarily alleviate the symptoms, or at best help your body deal with the issue.

my mom died 15 years ago because a nurse made a mistake and cut her so she bled to death. i said bye to her before work in her hospital room at 9am like every morning, and rushed back at 3pm to find her dead.

That is really horrible, very sorry.

I'm actually looking forward to the day when they can say with confidence "take this pill and it'll cure your condition in a week, guaranteed". But we're very, very far from that point at the moment. In fact only very few drugs actually cure diseases (one that comes to mind is that $80K drug for hepatitis C). Most either only temporarily alleviate the symptoms, or at best help your body deal with the issue.
I had a close relative who got cured with the 80k hep C drug (harvoni). Co-pay was 87 cents.

regardless of beliefs in data, i'd rather hear things and make my own judgments, rather than not listening to anything. again, take it for what it is and make your own decisions about things. i'm not saying i 100% trust everything in these videos. i watch for the facts/numbers, not really their opinions.

here are the channels i've been watching:

3.4% fatality rate with the risk rising exponentially at 50 then 60 then 70 and 80!

If you really want to read about something scary look up the flu epidemic in 1918. My grandmother told me when she was a child in this rural area they would find entire family's dead. More deaths than all wars combined from ww1 and up. Some estimate 20% of the earth's population at that time!?

3.4% fatality rate with the risk rising exponentially at 50 then 60 then 70 and 80!

If you really want to read about something scary look up the flu epidemic in 1918. My grandmother told me when she was a child in this rural area they would find entire family's dead. More deaths than all wars combined from ww1 and up. Some estimate 20% of the earth's population at that time!?

Such things have been the norm throughout human history, in in many ways it helps cull the herd. It may sound mean, but Darwinism has its positives as well. We have moved to a mentality where absolutely everyone must be kept alive for every second possible, which is a very expensive proposition. Something like 70% of Americans have their first operation in their last week of life in a desperate attempt to stay alive against all odds to the contrary.

Bad decisions and carelessness from Dr.s and medical personal at hospitals in this region contributed to the death of both my parents. It was several years apart and they both did have existing medical conditions though, mostly from previously smoking, and bad choice of diet. Who would have guessed tobacco and processed food could be bad for you. FDA? hmmmm

Such things have been the norm throughout human history, in in many ways it helps cull the herd. It may sound mean, but Darwinism has its positives as well. We have moved to a mentality where absolutely everyone must be kept alive for every second possible, which is a very expensive proposition. Something like 70% of Americans have their first operation in their last week of life in a desperate attempt to stay alive against all odds to the contrary.

One thing for certain, things will not stay the same.

The Thanos snap is coming, whether by nature or some idiot in a lab somewhere.

And if they don't at least try, then people scream "death panels" and there are lawsuits, etc. The right to a dignified death is something that our society hasn't come to terms with. I know I'd rather have a close relative pass peacefully than scared, in pain, while their family members yell for someone to stick yet another tube in them.

Last edited:
Yea, today was my last day in the office until the end of March. Sent the whole team home for 3+ weeks.

Corporate announced the closing of our branch at the beginning of January before any of this virus stuff. Last Friday was my last day. Maybe it's a blessing?

Just to remind folks: in 1918 we did not yet have penicillin. Not only was medicine pretty laughably bad back then, most people didn’t have any access to it either. A lot of the stuff that’s survivable today was a death sentence back then.

Just to remind folks: in 1918 we did not yet have penicillin. Not only was medicine pretty laughably bad back then, most people didn’t have any access to it either. A lot of the stuff that’s survivable today was a death sentence back then.
Antibiotics do not work against a virus. The 1918 flu pandemic (Spanish Flu) was causes by the influenza virus, not a bacteria.

Everyone who is saying "it's just a flu, bro" is in for a rude awakening.

I didn't say they do. This is just to give people a perspective of how bad medicine was 102 years ago. Antivirals weren't a thing until 1960s, and ones that actually work only appeared in the 90s.

Everyone who expects the Spanish Flu of 1918 and millions of fatalities that come with that is also wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom