Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't "call anyone names" I'm merely stating an observation. That observation is it's OK to use the word Chinese if ordering/eating Chinese food but not OK to use it in reference to this Chinese virus...sorry, that's a weak argument. I despise political correctness.
"weak minds" while quoting another forum member is absolutely an aspersion, cast. You'll note no one is calling you names based on your position in the debate.

This thread has mostly served its therapeutic role for me and I’ll be stepping back. That said, OMG stay away from broadcast news on the left or right!! There are some genuine idiot-guests on those programs right now. Regarding news, I’ve gone as center as I can with Reuter’s app on my phone, but even there the content is not 100% insanity-free.
I tried consuming equal doses of Fox and CNN to try to obtain balance, but it doesn't really work out.

Meanwhile, this trusted Canadian news outlet reported this way back in January, and it's still true:
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/0...preading-10000-times-faster-than-coronavirus/

We have to remember that a common side effect of shelter in place... is going to be irritability, and anger.
So we shouldn't get to worked up

The other side of the coin is not to take much of anything personal right now. I was going to reply to
certain things and then caught myself remembering what you just said.
I'd rather someone vent here (within FF rules) on the internet than on those they are sheltering with!

I've fallen behind here and can't catch up now, but there's this:
"If you don't qualify for MA unemployment benefits, see if you qualify for federal disaster unemployment assistance. This is NEW and includes freelancers, independent contractors, small business owners, et al: https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/597 "

From here:

We have to remember that a common side effect of shelter in place... is going to be irritability, and anger.
So we shouldn't get to worked up

I've been hearing couples complaining that they never want to be sheltering-in place with each other ever again after this experience.

Population of South Korea is about 1/7th of the US (if you include the illegals). Their total number of deaths so far is 111. Their total number of cases is 9K. Even if all of the remaining 5700 patients die (very unlikely), that's 5800 dead per 50M, or 113 people per million. If we are in the same conservative ball park, that's 40K dead. I don't see "millions" here.
Your thought process seems to be, "Korea and US have a similar level of medicine, so we'll get a proportional amount of deaths in the US as in Korea." This completely ignores the difference in response to the epidemic, and I have no idea how you even justify that. At any rate, by your logic, the total # of cases in the US should taper off around 9k * 7 = 63k. We'll see very soon if it's true or not.

Good news finally. The number of new cases in Italy has decreased for the second day in a row. This shows that containment is possible but requires extreme measures.

Today in Italy it didn't decrease, but it is at about the 5 day mean, so this is some good news. They might be past the exponential part of the epi curve are now in the linear phase, which is still bad, but a sign of progress.

At this point there are obviously some hot spots and some cool spots. Lombardy, Madrid, and New York City are raging and health care facilities are overloaded. Extreme measures will be required to get things under control in those spots. On the other hand, Germany has a surprisingly low number of deaths compared to its neighbors.

That sounds to me like the couples are probably with the wrong person then....

Not necessarily. Assuming you are married, when you said "I do" I don't think it included
being able to spend 24/7 with that person while the world you both knew crumbles around you.

And ftr:
Goodfellas is in my top 10.
My top 10.

I've fallen behind here and can't catch up now, but there's this:
"If you don't qualify for MA unemployment benefits, see if you qualify for federal disaster unemployment assistance. This is NEW and includes freelancers, independent contractors, small business owners, et al:

Thank you for this information, but I’m not seeing anything in regards to independent contractors on the Federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance page.

Edit: Never mind. I found it.

Last edited:
Yes, this has been fairly civilized so far.

Let's stay away from pointing out problems with news agencies. And lay off personal attacks.

It is interesting about how people will react over time to being in close quarters. I know my boss was actually ORDERED by his wife to 'you need to go to the office'. (it's not closed, but all were encouraged to WFH). That speaks volumes. He's not an easy man to work for (one of those 'work is my life' types) and I expect that he brings that level of intensity to his family when he doesn't have the constant work outlet.

There is inevitable tension with being cooped up. I don't care how compatible you are. Add the increased tension about this whole thing, and the cracks are going to show. No one is immune (natch.). For my part, I make sure that there is plenty of time in the day where me and the twin girls are away from each other. Preferably doing some project or focused activity. I've had limited success as they tend to hunker down with screens.

But I did force them to re-mulch my front yard.

Italy's reported new cases are down again, 3 days in a row. Not quite as much as the day before, but still in the right direction. A glimmer of hope!

March 19-20, delta 5,986
March 20-21, delta 6,557
March 21-22, delta 5,560
March 22-23, delta 4,789

Apparently, 'patient 1' in Italy was just released from hospital after 18 days in ICU.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...patient-no-1-leaves-hospital-after-a-month-of

This story speaks for itself!!! :cry:

"Priest, 72, dies after giving up ventilator to younger coronavirus patient in Italy"

https://globalnews.ca/news/6723885/italian-priest-gives-up-ventilator/

Last edited:
He's not an easy man to work for (one of those 'work is my life' types) and I expect that he brings that level of intensity to his family when he doesn't have the constant work

[/QUOTE]

I'd love to work for Cliff... and I'm not implying your saying you don't

Unfortunately, the smartest people I mingle with are at work.

These people show you so many things that you can incorporate into your own life, and you become better rounded.

Its difficult to be surrounded by people that dont think and behave or care... the same way you do... you feel the frustration constantly... and unless you manage people or are responsible for people... or your trying to accomplish something and you need the help... there can be a disconnect.
When you have kids.. you see that ones are different smarter ...etc. and you can sympathize with that while still having a great deal of frustration..
... but when you are running a business... it's a different situation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom