HELP! Tempos constantly changing when switching scenes / presets

fractalz

Power User
What it says on the tin. I have a few presets where I have set the tempo and want that to drive delays and such. every time I come back it seems like there at a different tempo. I have tap tempo set up so I can use that, but I really wanted to be set when I go in. MFC is not in axefx mode this is per another discussion thread where I wanted to use preset mapping

I do not use tap tempo. but I think it is global. I pretty sure when you set it on one preset and then change it on another preset when you go back to the first it will be at the tempo of the second.

Tap tempo is always available. It will always update the global tempo when you tap in a new tempo unless an external MIDI beat clock overrides it. The "Tempo To Use" setting in the tempo menu controls what happens to the tempo when a preset loads. If set to Global, the tempo changes to the current global tempo, which is the tempo you last tapped in on any preset or the tempo from an external MIDI beat clock. If set to Preset, anytime a preset is loaded, the tempo will change to whatever tempo was set when that preset was last saved. If you want the tempo to always recall a pre-saved setting, use the Preset setting. If you want the tempo to use the last tempo you tapped in or an external clock tempo, set it to Global. Keep in mind that this settings is stored per preset, so setting it to Global only affects the loading of the current preset and you have to save the preset for the setting to stick. Preset is the default setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
If you know the exact tempo you want, you can also save your fx in the preset with ms values instead of tempo divisions. Then it will always be exactly where you want it.

If you know the exact tempo you want, you can also save your fx in the preset with ms values instead of tempo divisions. Then it will always be exactly where you want it.

I want to start with the written tempo, but we often deviate at the start or within the song. So, start at a specified tempo, but have the ability to tap to sync to the current tempo.

Tap tempo is always available. It will always update the global tempo when you tap in a new tempo unless an external MIDI beat clock overrides it. The "Tempo To Use" setting in the tempo menu controls what happens to the tempo when a preset loads. If set to Global, the tempo changes to the current global tempo, which is the tempo you last tapped in on any preset or the tempo from an external MIDI beat clock. If set to Preset, anytime a preset is loaded, the tempo will change to whatever tempo was set when that preset was last saved. If you want the tempo to always recall a pre-saved setting, use the Preset setting. If you want the tempo to use the last tempo you tapped in or an external clock tempo, set it to Global. Keep in mind that this settings is stored per preset, so setting it to Global only affects the loading of the current preset and you have to save the preset for the setting to stick. Preset is the default setting.

"Tempo To Use" is set to "Preset Tempo". But, it is not always what I have it set to. I'll upload my MFC config in a minute.

Here is my MFC config. Per another thread, I'm not using the MFC in AxeFX Mode, and I suspect this has something to do with the behavior I'm seeing.

I'm using the PC functions of the IA switches and manual mapping mode on the Axe to allow me to send two PCs for each switch, one for ON and one for OFF. I'm not sure if this requires me putting the entire MFC into non-AxeFX mode... Maybe I just need to set the IA switches to AxeFX command = NONE?

In the current configuration, the MFC does not flash the tempo, nor does the tuner show up on the display. That is OK since I have another tuner in line with my guitar.

I have "Send Realtime SysEx" set to "All" on the AxeFX.

Attachments

• MFC-American Idiot_v2.syx
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
OK - I think I have this figured out.

My first clue was that when switching to some presets, the "Edited" light would come on. Then, I noticed that when I set things to AxeFX mode, the tempos were all over the place and pressing IA16 didn't always send MIDI data.

It appears that IA16 (where I had assigned tempo) is broken and is sending spurious messages. I switched tempo to IA17 and things seem better.

Hopefully things will go better in rehearsal tonight and I can get the MFC worked on after the run.

Back
Top Bottom