Help: suddenly a weird bzzz over notes...

trb

Experienced
Hi All

Everything was fine with FW10.12 and now FW11b : great souding on my gear .

And just after changing strings, i was tunning on the Axe and I heard a "bzzz" coming over the notes...:( See in this sample with 3 notes, open strings, Eb tunning):
https://soundcloud.com/bruno-trebucq/weird-bzz

I can hear it through :
- the OUT 1 in stereo throught my 2 GM50s and FR Cabs
- the SPDIF out to my audio interface and speakers, monitors
- the headphones: a little less pronounced...?

So I tested many possibilities:
- I changed the presets to test: more pronounced on distorsion, not related to presets
- I applied a Clear Sys
- made a reset on Axe in Utilities
- reload the FW11

=> Nothing changes: the bzzz over notes remains. can hear too on chords.

Do you have any ideas: electrical installation in house, FW11 (?), Axe issues (sniff...), something else to test or to do ?
Thanks for your help.

Are you sure it is not your bridge or saddles rattling? It sounds very much like loose saddles? Or even quite bad fret buzzing?

Got another guitar you can try through the Axe-FX to eliminate that possibility?

Sounds like a guitar setup issue to me. Can you hear your strings buzzing upon playing when you're not plugged into anything (ie. take the Axe out of the equation)? If so, increase your action.

Hi all
thanks for you replies.
Well I juste changed strings on 2 guitars and have 2 others guitars with "old strings". In both cases I got this "bzzz", that I didn't had previously...
Even if the action is not perfect on my guitar (leading sometimes to fret buzzing) in this particular case I pay attention not to have any "fret issues" when I play a note. And I had that buzz i didn't have yesterday.

If we exclude guitars issue, do you think it can comes from electrical trouble in house or an Axe issue (is it possible ?) ?

to continue: Still buzzing....
taking into account your comments on bridge, fret bad sounds or guitar actions too low, I take another guitar with a good setup and play again 3 notes and 2 chords.

https://soundcloud.com/bruno-trebucq/buzz-chord
https://soundcloud.com/bruno-trebucq/buzz-2

We can hear the buzz in both. More pronounced with the chords what's more. BTW, I tried in another room in my house to avoid "local electrical" power issue => still buzzing.

What do you think about ?
thanks so much again to help me understanding and solving...
I was so pleased to play my Axe with an awesome tone with these FWs !

To my ears the buzzing is much less pronounced in the clips where you use a different guitar. But maybe the distortion is fooling me here, because aside from the guitar being a little out of tune I don't hear much that I find strange or unexpected? You could try a comparison of both guitars with a clean preset, but I'm not convinced the issue isn't related to the guitar itself.

Perhaps someone with more experienced Axe ears can chime in as well?

Last edited:
hi all
thanks again for your feed back
I tried my Axe at my guitar teacher home this evening and there was no "bzzz" on disto, using the same presets... I know the electrical power distribution in my house is not really stable varying from 195v to 225v (french voltage)... and it's a cause of many electrical issues I have. so for music with the axe...? I don't know, may be influencing...
So I'll check that with Electrical company to solve that stability point.

Nevertheless in parallel i will apply tomorrow what you suggested with clean patches , back to 10.12, etc, along with disto patches and be back to you to share the status.
will keep you informed, and thanks.

Electrical problems are weird. While I was working for an Internet Service Provider, back in those days we had to connect via land line, I received a call from a user complaining his connection dropped from time to time. I went to his apartment and after spending 2 hours trying to find the cause, we discovered that every time someone hit the elevator's button, the connection dropped. And we only discovered this because he lived in a top floor apartment, close to the elevator's engine. They called an electrical engineer and the problem was fixed.

If it wasn't doing it in another location with the same unit and same preset it's obviously an issue with the environment of some sort.

hi all
thanks again for your feed back
I tried my Axe at my guitar teacher home this evening and there was no "bzzz" on disto, using the same presets... I know the electrical power distribution in my house is not really stable varying from 195v to 225v (french voltage)... and it's a cause of many electrical issues I have. so for music with the axe...? I don't know, may be influencing...
So I'll check that with Electrical company to solve that stability point.

Nevertheless in parallel i will apply tomorrow what you suggested with clean patches , back to 10.12, etc, along with disto patches and be back to you to share the status.
will keep you informed, and thanks.

Watch the movie " Taken".
He has some good advice about electrical supply problems in there.

trb said:
I know the electrical power distribution in my house is not really stable varying from 195v to 225v (french voltage)
:shock
Something like this could solve the problem (watch out, very expensive!): Furman P1400 AR E. It has a voltage regulation, which the cheaper Furman models don't have.

skintone1 said:
Watch the movie " Taken".
He has some good advice about electrical supply problems in there.
:lol

Thanks for your contributions.

Harrr : the "Taken" solution .....!!:lol... still some instabilities in voltage too !!!

Well about your comments:
- my guitar tuning: yes Chris, a bad flat tunning (didn't tune it correctly before my samples... sorry for that)
- 10.12: so i load back the 10.12: the same small weird bzzz => get back to FW11b (it was too, the opportunity to confirm the 11b is far better in dynamic, etc.. !)
- Clean sound: NO bzzz on cleans amps
- crunch / disto: a lie bzzz, but clearly some amps ar more sensitive to that bzzz ... some none, some a little...

So as a conclusion, and as I'm a bit used to, there are certainely still some electrical issues (had the same kind of behavior with tube amps previously...fixed some). A good power conditionner may help certainely like the Furman you mentionned StillBruch, but glooopppss, a bit pricey....
I have to work on my house electrical that's clear: check with Electrical company and fix it as far as possible .
Will keep you informed.

Back
Top Bottom