Help! Something's wrong with my Axe-Fx III and I can't figure it out. High pitched squeal

Thanks for the suggestion, not a USB ground loop though unfortunately feedback present in stand alone mode. I don't use the FX3 as an interface, I run all audio into an Apollo.

The FX3 is literally the only piece of gear I own that generates noise like this. I've heard similar things on the Helix and Kemper and to my ears it sounds digital. I was hoping that perhaps it was EMI noise, but it's present everywhere. Tried a bunch of different guitars and pickup configurations, passive / active pups, silent P90's, swapped out cables, swapped power outlets / power conditioners, moved rack / unit away from all electrical devices, tried wireless / non wireless.

I get it, most wouldn't notice it and nobody wants to hear that their FX3 might have a similar issue, but it's there and it's on the Fractal. I will also say it could just be my unit, who knows. For live shows or mucking around the FX3 is phenomenal, I love it it's a beast. However, in a studio environment it's a big problem, and I've moved mine all over the place to different studios and locations, same issue every where I go to the point where I have to replicate in analogue.
Could you share a recording of what it sounds like?

I think I've just encountered this problem. See attached sample. There's some strange high-frequency digital noise, slightly more prevalent on the right side of the stereo field.

It takes a few listens to identify it, but it's hard to unhear once you hear it. It's an unwelcomed "digital scratchiness". I noticed it both last night and this morning.

Some facts which may be relevant:

1. The MP3 is in 44.1k, but I recall recording this at 48k. Not sure where the conversion happened.

2. My interface is a Prism Sound Titan, and I used the Titan's clock during recording. The Titan unit is connected via SPDIF to the Axe Fx 3, and via audiophile USB cable to my computer.

3. I think the Titan's buffer was set at 200. I'm not sure what the Axe Fx 3's buffer is, but I don't believe I've modified it from the OEM standard.

4. The USB connection between the AXE Fx 3 and computer is only being used for AxeEdit.

5. There was no signal clipping between the Axe Fx 3 and Titan, or between the Titan and my computer, as far as I could tell.

6. The Axe Fx 3's firmware is up to date, and the latest version of AxeEdit was installed.

Attachments

• Funstuff3.zip
    304.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I think I've just encountered this problem. See attached sample. There's some strange high-frequency digital noise, slightly more prevalent on the right side of the stereo field.

It takes a few listens to identify it, but it's hard to unhear once you hear it. It's an unwelcomed "digital scratchiness". I noticed it both last night and this morning.

Some facts which may be relevant:

1. The MP3 is in 44.1k, but I recall recording this at 48k. Not sure where the conversion happened.

2. My interface is a Prism Sound Titan, and I used the Titan's clock during recording. The Titan unit is connected via SPDIF to the Axe Fx 3, and via audiophile USB cable to my computer.

3. I think the Titan's buffer was set at 200. I'm not sure what the Axe Fx 3's buffer is, but I don't believe I've modified it from the OEM standard.

4. The USB connection between the AXE Fx 3 and computer is only being used for AxeEdit.

5. There was no signal clipping between the Axe Fx 3 and Titan, or between the Titan and my computer, as far as I could tell.

6. The Axe Fx 3's firmware is up to date, and the latest version of AxeEdit was installed.
Since you’re only using the USB for Axe Edit, Unplug the AxeFX USB from the PC and re-record a piece or two to see if it comes back.

Since you’re only using the USB for Axe Edit, Unplug the AxeFX USB from the PC and re-record a piece or two to see if it comes back.
I just re-recorded the riff with and without the USB cable plugged into the Axe Fx 3. No difference.

However, it turns out that exporting to MP3 vs WAV had a large effect, with the HF digital noise being much less pronounced in WAV.

The HF digital noise was also emphasized more in my Linkline in-ear headphones plugged into my phone, when compared with my Sennheiser HD 599 SE headphones plugged into my Prism Sound Titan.

EQ tweaks within the AxeFx 3 and my outboard Elysia Xfilter helped, but I couldn't remove the HF noise entirely. It was still especially noticeable in my Linkline in-ear headphones.

I don't have enough experience with real amps to know whether the HF noise is an accurate model of analogue high-end "sizzle". If it is, I'd personally prefer less of whatever that noise is.

I'm an Axe III owner since November last year and since the day I got my Axe it's been periodically doing this high pitch effect over music and pretty much anything I play back from my computer (but not guitar sounds from the Axe itself).

I really really really am hoping there's just something on my end that is wrong because I don't want to pay a bunch of money to send it for repair (under warranty) just for them to not happen to experience the problem (it's intermittent) and have to pay again to send it back. As you'll see if you read on, I've changed everything, from the computer, to the cables (usb and power) as well as tried on multiple ports on different computers (and different operating systems, too), and the problem persists...

Here is a video showing me switching between the Axe and the speakers on my LG (screen) monitor which happens to also have speakers:
[LINK BELOW]
I have looked around and haven't seen anyone that's describing my exact problem. But it's been happening since version 1.16 from when I got the Axe.

It drove me so crazy that I recently reinstalled windows and installing things for the Axe was the very first thing I did after a fresh/clean install and the problem persists.

Here is another video where switching to another device clears it when I switch back to the Axe III:
[LINK BELOW]

Sometimes when listening to music it does this for just a few seconds then goes back to normal, good, sounding audio. Other times it will just do this squeaky thing persistently. Seems to be clerable by unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in.

Here's another video where I noticed that sometimes I'm able to knock it loose by switching the buffer size:
[LINK BELOW

Here's another video where a new thing has been happening where the input will just appear and disappear randomly like a flickering lightbulb:
[LINK BELOW

If I turn the axefx off and turn it on again, I have to go around the back and remove the usb cable and plug it in again before the computer will detect the input. as far as I understand that's not how a class compliant device is supposed to function:
[LINK BELOW

I tried with 2 other computers (so making 3 computers total that I've been able to replicate it with) - similar results:

The first one (my workstation server) was immediately squealing upon being plugged in to the axe:
[LINK BELOW

The second one is a new one: the axe won't make any sound at all or even recognize the driver. The video shows me installing the driver and restarting and the axe still not being detected:
[LINK BELOW

----

So, again, the problem is it's gonna cost a lot of money to send it in for repair especially if they don't experience the problem. Sometimes it works for days without any issue, and other times it's constant and I can't get it to stop.

My best guess is that it's a world clock problem of some kind.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I re-read the terms and forum rules before posting so I apologize in advance if I did something procedural wrong in making this post.

----

LINK FOR VIDEOS:
The forum wouldn't let me post all those links so here is the post but without the links redacted.

been there bro.

Try this bro, search ifi usb ground loop eliminator. and use external power supply. it solved mine.

Strange.
Have you tried switching your clock master to the Axe FX?
Can you change your sample rate to 48K on your Titan?
Also, “200” is an odd buffer size. Where does that number come from?
What recording software are you using?

Personally I’m suspect of the term “audiophile USB cable”. Have you tried swapping that one with a different cable?

C'est effectivement très utile ! J'ai suspecté une horloge mondiale défectueuse comme problème avec l'unité. Même si j'utilise uniquement l'AX comme interface audio (et rien d'autre : aucun autre équipement ni horloge extérieure), il est très utile d'entendre que quelqu'un d'autre a déjà entendu ce problème.

Aussi: j'ai juste pu y arriver avec une taille de tampon ASIO de 2048:

donc je pense qu'il est sûr de dire que cela n'a rien à voir avec la taille de la mémoire tampon ASIO. Vous pouvez voir que changer à peu près n'importe quel paramètre (dans ce cas, j'ai changé la taille du tampon USB, mais j'aurais pu changer la taille du tampon ASIO, ou changer l'horloge mondiale sur NO CLOCK puis de nouveau sur INTERNAL pour obtenir le même effet) faire en sorte que tout redevienne normal.

That's actually very helpful! I have suspected a faulty world clock as the problem with the unit. Even though I'm only using the AXE as an audio interface (and nothing else: no other equipment or outside clock) it's very helpful to hear that someone else has heard this problem before.

Also: I was just able to get it to happen with an ASIO Buffer size of 2048:

so I think it's safe to say that it's nothing to do with the ASIO buffer size. You can see that changing pretty much any setting (in this case I changed the USB Buffer Size, but I could have changed the ASIO buffer size, or switched the world clock to NO CLOCK and then back to INTERNAL to get the same effect) will make anything go back to normal.

why don't you adjust the usb to 256

Same problem here. The playback audio will suddenly be filled with this painful high frequency grinding hash. No buffer size setting will fix it, either on the unit or the DAW. It's happened since I first got the III, and none of my other audio interfaces have the problem. It only happens during playback, never when I'm just playing guitar. It inevitably causes me to smash my spacebar and scream expletives.

I've tried using different cables, different USB ports, reinstalling the drivers, and anything else I could think of. The intermittent problem persists.

I also have considered sending it in, but also fear that they would simply say they couldn't find anything wrong with it or that the repair would be expensive.

Thanks for all the recent responses and inquiries, which I've responded to below.

I recently ran a test comparing: (a) the Titan's buffer at 200 vs 1024; (b) Prism Titan's clock and A/D with the Axe Fx 3's clock and A/D; and (c) all samples in both WAV and MP3.

Here are my findings and conclusions. The HF noise appeared in all samples, and were again emphasized through my Linkline in-ear headphones plugged into my phone.

The EQ settings were tweaked from my original test to lower the higher bands. For the latest test, it took me a few listens at high volume to identify the HF noise. As previously stated, I don't have enough real-amp experience to conclude whether the HF noise is an accurate model of high-end sizzle vs digital noise, but either way, it's unpleasant and I'd like less of it.

I've attached just the MP3 of my tests, since the WAV was too big to upload. The first sample is with the Titan's buffer at 200 using Titan's A/D and clock. The second sample is with the Titan's buffer at 1024 using Titan's A/D and clock. The third sample is with the Titan's buffer at 1024 using the Axe Fx 3's A/D and clock.

been there bro.

Try this bro, search ifi usb ground loop eliminator. and use external power supply. it solved mine.
I don't see how this would help since the HF noise was present when the USB cable was unplugged from the Axe FX 3.

What recording software are you using?
Cubase 10.

Can you change your sample rate to 48K on your Titan?
The sample rate is 48k within the Titan, Axe Fx 3, and Cubase. The conversion to 44.1 happens when I export to MP3.

Strange.
Have you tried switching your clock master to the Axe FX?
Yes. The HF noise is still present when going analogue into the Axe Fx and using the Axe Fx's clock.

“200” is an odd buffer size. Where does that number come from?
The 200 buffer size was within my Titan interface. I chose it arbitrarily for a prior latency test and just forgot to change it back to my usual 1024. I've recently re-run the test at 1024, and the HF noise still appeared.

Personally I’m suspect of the term “audiophile USB cable”. Have you tried swapping that one with a different cable?
Yes. I bought the audiophile USB cable for use between my Titan and my computer, just a couple weeks ago. I was hoping it would eliminate the HF noise issue, but it had no perceptible affect on the HF noise. In fact, according to the common audiophile dogma, the new USB cable would have a positive affect on live-stream data integrity.

Attachments

• Funstuff7a.zip
    490.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for all the recent responses and inquiries, which I've responded to below.

I recently ran a test comparing: (a) the Titan's buffer at 200 vs 1024; (b) Prism Titan's clock and A/D with the Axe Fx 3's clock and A/D; and (c) all samples in both WAV and MP3.

Here are my findings and conclusions. The HF noise appeared in all samples, and were again emphasized through my Linkline in-ear headphones plugged into my phone.

The EQ settings were tweaked from my original test to lower the higher bands. For the latest test, it took me a few listens at high volume to identify the HF noise. As previously stated, I don't have enough real-amp experience to conclude whether the HF noise is an accurate model of high-end sizzle vs digital noise, but either way, it's unpleasant and I'd like less of it.

I've attached just the MP3 of my tests, since the WAV was too big to upload. The first sample is with the Titan's buffer at 200 using Titan's A/D and clock. The second sample is with the Titan's buffer at 1024 using Titan's A/D and clock. The third sample is with the Titan's buffer at 1024 using the Axe Fx 3's A/D and clock.

I don't see how this would help since the HF noise was present when the USB cable was unplugged from the Axe FX 3.

Cubase 10.

The sample rate is 48k within the Titan, Axe Fx 3, and Cubase. The conversion to 44.1 happens when I export to MP3.

Yes. The HF noise is still present when going analogue into the Axe Fx and using the Axe Fx's clock.

The 200 buffer size was within my Titan interface. I chose it arbitrarily for a prior latency test and just forgot to change it back to my usual 1024. I've recently re-run the test at 1024, and the HF noise still appeared.

Yes. I bought the audiophile USB cable for use between my Titan and my computer, just a couple weeks ago. I was hoping it would eliminate the HF noise issue, but it had no perceptible affect on the HF noise. In fact, according to the common audiophile dogma, the new USB cable would have a positive affect on live-stream data integrity.
When you playback the audio without conversion through Cubase, is the noise still there?

Just to add to this thread.

I've also been experiencing this high frequency pitch/distortion. I'm also mostly experiencing it when viewing YouTube videos. It seems to come and go, lasting between a few seconds or a couple of minutes before resolving on it's own. If I try to stop the YouTube video and push the video back a couple a few seconds and replay from the new position it tends to kick itself out of this issue (sometimes, takes a couple of tries).

Mine is an Axe Fx III Mk1, FW 17 (This was also happening on 16.xx so that's not the issue, don't know about previous FW, see below).

The USB buffer was set to 512, I have now bumped it up all the way to 2048 and I am tracking to see if it helps. I also tried bumping the USB buffer size in Axe edit (Setup -> audio tab) up to 256 from the 32 it was on (not sure if that's even applicable to USB input but what the hell).

Previously I wasn't using the Axe Fx as an audio interface. It was plugged with analog XLR to my RME UFX II which has always been rock solid with the same PC and USB input. The RME has now moved to a different PC so I was planning to rely solely on the Axe Fx as a combined Guitar Processor and USB playback device from the PC.

I've tried updating the USB driver to the latest version 5.21 -> 5.22 but that also made no difference.

I will keep my fingers crossed that the increased buffer will solve or at least significantly reduce the frequency (pun intended) of these artifacts (Don't hear them on the guitar signal when I try playing along with the YouTube even while it's happening, it's strictly only the USB audio from the PC).

Also, a side comment, being an electrical engineer myself, I'm very familiar with the common Dev comment of "It never occurs on my unit, so there"...
A. Can we please for once skip that stage in the debug process? It's amazing how common that response seems to be.
B. Unless you are going provide your unit and actual setup to be used to everyone complaining about this issue than it's not really all that helpful.

I'm probably coming across more snarky than I intended, but I've heard it during my work life so much I've become sensitized to it as a sore point.

Also, in case anyone was wandering what the other 6 Stages of Debug (Despair) you're in luck:

1. [Customer complaint] ->
2. "You are wrong, it doesn't happen on my unit so there!" ->
3. "Wait something is really strange here..." ->
4. "I don't understand what the hell is going on!" ->
5. "Oh... I think I see what the problem is.." ->
6. "How the hell did it ever work in the first place??" ->
7. [SOLUTION]

Just like to say that I still love this device very much, and have no real problems with it aside from this particular issue.
Really happy with my purchase for the last year plus that I've had it.

If I'm at high volume, I plug my ears and hit the spacebar with my elbow every time I start playback because I never know when I'm going to get blasted with this noise. If I'm using headphones, I'll pull them away from my ears and hit the spacebar with my elbow. It's infuriating.

When you playback the audio without conversion through Cubase, is the noise still there?
It's less prominent when I play live, without conversion through Cubase. However, in this case I'm only playing one track with stereo widening effects. The audio files from Cubase have double tracked guitars.

I've also been experiencing this high frequency pitch/distortion. I'm also mostly experiencing it when viewing YouTube videos. It seems to come and go, lasting between a few seconds or a couple of minutes before resolving on it's own. If I try to stop the YouTube video and push the video back a couple a few seconds and replay from the new position it tends to kick itself out of this issue (sometimes, takes a couple of tries).
Your HF noise problem is different from mine. Mine relates to distortion quality. Yours has to do with using the Axe Fx 3 as an interface via USB. I encountered your problem before as well - using a separate USB interface fixed the issue.

@yeky83 check out

Basically, changing the buffer size can sometimes knock it loose, but it doesn't matter what the buffer size is. In the video, you see it happening with a buffer of 512 and not with a buffer of 32, for example.

Thanks for the suggestion! any other ideas?

not with the fasusbaudio control panel but in the axis you go to io audio then usb buffer size me I put it at 256 I reproduced your problem at 8 and 16 and even 32 buffet size everything depends on your computer I hope it will be fine for you

This happens to me every now and then. It sounds like aliasing, very unpleasant. I can get rid of it by restarting the Axe, or sometimes unplugging the USB and plugging it back in. Maybe switching Audio inputs on my Mac would also resolve it. It may have something to do with the sample rate, as the Axe is fixed at 48 and most music these days is 44.1. Never happens in a project though, only when I'm listening to YouTube or Apple Music. Never tried changing the buffer size when the aliasing occurs, only when I get pops and clicks in a project.

Is the issue specific to a Mac machine? I use a PC with an RME interface using the AES out from the Axe III. Never had the issue.

No, I'm having it on PC (at least the issue I'm complaining about earlier in the thread). It only occurs when the Axe III is the USB audio interface not when you connect through an analog or digital interface to a different USB audio interface. I can state that thus far, since I changed the buffer size in the Axe Edit to maximum it has not repeated but I did have an issue where I lost all audio at one point from the USB and had to reset the Axe to free it up. I tried changing the fasusbaudio control panel back down to 256 (leaving the Axe Edit at maximum and I'm still tracking this issue but thus far it's been behaving well).

Really curious about this. I'm about to upgrade to the MK2 Turbo (even though I'm perfectly happy with my Axe 2), and these kind of little problems scare me.

Could this be some kind of microphonic coil whine? Often found in graphics cards:

Back
Top Bottom