help solving crackling sound

I forgot to put in that the Axe is going into a Matrix GT1000 power amp then out to the Marshall cabs.I hear the crackling through both FOH and cabs on all of the presets I have tried including factory ones

This one does it on the Scene 5 (lead boost).

Just at home, through computer monitors (from the headphone out jack - I lowered the volume on the Axe II, thinking at first that was the problem)

Attachments

• Screaming Plexi - MK.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
I forgot to put in that the Axe is going into a Matrix GT1000 power amp then out to the Marshall cabs.I hear the crackling through both FOH and cabs on all of the presets I have tried including factory ones

Please contact support. It sounds as though your unit has developed a defect. The beta testers tested this firmware extensively with factory presets and this issue was never reported. Therefore the only logical conclusion is that it is isolated to your unit.

I'll re-check my preset. I've been using this for many software revisions - first time I had an issue - obviously, I wasn't looking at the clip indicator!

Thanks for the insight!

Ok,I will contact support tomorrow,is there a number to call or do I message them?

See our website.

Of course it just may be output clipping. If the output clip light goes on at all then you are at the threshold of clipping. Try turning down the level in the amp block and see if it goes away.

I just added the compressor today and bypassed the wah for now. There was a great thread on sustain and compression I was trying out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With all due respect to the Admin at Fractal,I didn't change any presets before the upgrade to 13.02 and didn't have this issue before upgrading.As I previously stated my CPU usage on my largest preset is 79%,and nothing is clipping on the front panel.So to simply say its our fault when multiple people are having a similar issue is not what I would expect to hear when we are seeking help solving a problem that may or may not be the fault of the user.I am not running Ultrares or anything different from previous updates,my presets are the same as before updating,and I went to the extent of eliminating blocks making the presets smaller to see if this would make a difference and it didn't.Evertime upon startup regardless of which preset I am using I hear the crackling.After playing for awhile and switching through presets the crackling goes away.

If applicable, check your batteries. I had that issue pop up just last night. Tweaked a Mesa Subway Blues preset to my own personal satisfaction complete with UltraRes blend (two cabs in parallel) took my wife out for dinner and BAM! Came back home to a cracklin distorted preset.

Turns out the 9v feeding my EMG Active-X was just in its death rattle stage.

IOW - first look for the obvious stuff as the root cause, then the state of the art box that makes yer musical life worth liv'in! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a side note to people who start developing a paranoita about this, im having a crackle sound now and then if i use asio4all drivers, instead of my asio firebox drivers. Never had a crackle with my audio interface stock drivers. That's also worth a check...

And there's also the crossover distortion tube amps do. You hear it best on light crunch tones playing a chord that you let ring and fade out. There's this crackling that becomes more apparent and suddenly stops. Some amps do it more than others.

It's driving me nuts. I wish I could have it fade more gradually. But don't let this derail the thread.

Just checking if this may be one of those things.

A recording of the crackle may be useful.

And there's also the crossover distortion tube amps do. You hear it best on light crunch tones playing a chord that you let ring and fade out. There's this crackling that becomes more apparent and suddenly stops. Some amps do it more than others.

It's driving me nuts. I wish I could have it fade more gradually. But don't let this derail the thread.

Just checking if this may be one of those things.

A recording of the crackle may be useful.
This is what I thought they might be talking about also. Real amps do it, especially those in the high gain category I believe.

The device lets you monitor CPU usage. If you are over 90% you are playing with fire.

Cliff, what about scaling so that 100% CPU display usage is in reality 90% (or a safe level)? I know this is more of a "psicological" issue, but it may help a lot. If you go up to 105%/110% display CPU usage it is somehow expected to have problem! :)

I had this after extensive reprogramming following upgrading to the new FW. After replacing all connections, I re-bootted the Axe and the crackles went away.

In Russian IT communities, this is known by a technical term that translates as "Dancing with Tambourines".

It's driving me nuts. I wish I could have it fade more gradually.

This is what tube amps do. I had been waiting for its modeling and kept on bickering about it for a long time (must be years I think) and finally it is in the AxeFX. This is what makes this unit the most authentic modeler available to me. When you listen to old school records (take early AC/DC for example) you can hear that crackling when Angus' guitar rings out. It could be smoother in the AxeFX, that may be true, but this is complaining on a very high level...

Back to topic.

This is what tube amps do. I had been waiting for its modeling and kept on bickering about it for a long time (must be years I think) and finally it is in the AxeFX. This is what makes this unit the most authentic modeler available to me. When you listen to old school records (take early AC/DC for example) you can hear that crackling when Angus' guitar rings out. It could be smoother in the AxeFX, that may be true, but this is complaining on a very high level...

Back to topic.

You can adjust the crossover distortion withe Power Tube Bias parameter.

Back to topic.
Thank you for the compliment. Nice to know I can reach a high level on something. ;)

I know. Real amps do it. It makes the tone cut through. Got it.

I don't mind it as much on crunchier tones, although I still hear it. It's this noise that seems to be frequency independent, i.e. not changing with the notes I play and it's the suddenly stopping and not fading out gradually and musically that's the most bugging part.

I'll try the bias. Tried the triode hardness and ideal mode, that didn't get me there. But this isn't my thread, I'll start one when I get around to figuring this out.

Back to the topic!

Back
Top Bottom