Help setting up FM3 with Airstep/Widi Master combo

Edrod

Power User
Hi everyone,

I received my Airstep today and unfortunately, it's been a bit of a headache. I've been able to use the Airstep in Reaper and Youtube so far. Took a little bit of trial and error but it's reasonably simple. The part that I'm struggling the most is when trying to pair the Airstep to the FM3 using the Widi Master.

I have the Widi Master (has recent firmware) in the In/Out midi of the FM3 per Widi manual.

The airstep is in pairing mode but it won't pair to anything

If I use the Airstep app, the Airstep will pair to my phone and not the FM3.

I've tried using Midi Ble Connect but I'm a bit lost since I can't get it to pair with the FM3.

Thank you for your time,

Eddi

Are you not required to also have a Widi Master on the Airstep (out) for this scenario? The Airstep would need to support Midi BT to directly connect to the Widi master. As far as I know only Mac devices and iPads have this built-in.

I currently have my Airstep controlling my FM3 over Bluetooth midi. I am using a Yamaha BT midi adaptor, but the Midi Master should work the same (I have one, so will try it later). I use Midimittr on my iPad to create the necessary connections.

And I just tried it . . . . Widi Master works also. The annoying thing about the Widi Master is that the OUT - IN cable jack is pressed right up against the power cable.

I’m not familiar with the WIDI Master. But I do know that FracPad works great with a certain Yamaha Bluetooth adapter, and no t so well with other adapters. So Bluetooth-to-MIDI adapters do not perform equally.

If I use the Airstep app, the Airstep will pair to my phone and not the FM3.
Airstep can only be connected to one bluetooth device at a time. Make sure you disconnect the bluetooth connection from your phone. Then you should be able to pair the Airstep with the WIDI.

Are you not required to also have a Widi Master on the Airstep (out) for this scenario? The Airstep would need to support Midi BT to directly connect to the Widi master. As far as I know only Mac devices and iPads have this built-in.
My understanding is that the Airstep should pair with the widi

And I just tried it . . . . Widi Master works also. The annoying thing about the Widi Master is that the OUT - IN cable jack is pressed right up against the power cable.
Yeah i found this quite annoying for lack of a better word. I found an iPad, I'm going to try the Midimttr that you ym suggested

Airstep can only be connected to one bluetooth device at a time. Make sure you disconnect the bluetooth connection from your phone. Then you should be able to pair the Airstep with the WIDI.
The problem is that if won't connect automatically :(

Sorry to revive an old thread. Was searching on setting up my WIDI Master and this came up.
Am also facing this problem of the IN cable jack hitting the IEC power plug. Just checking if it’s safe to just force the OUT DIN pin in.

Make sure both CME WIDI Master and Airstep are on their latest firmware. Airstep latest firmware can connect up to 3 devices simultaneously.

You will also need to make an adapter to fix FM3 + WIDI Master issue where FM3 feeds too high voltage to the WIDI. Do a search and you will find the thread with instructions.

You should then be able to make a config in the CME WIDI app where you can assign Airstep. You should not have to manually connect the CME to your phone or tablet any time but just use the WIDI app to connect.

Unfortunately i gave up shortly after this thread and just went with the midi cable.
I see. I got the FracPad to work with my iRig setup but decided to go back to USB/Mac since I am already using cables anyway. Was able to also connect via the Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI dongle but kept losing the connection intermittently. Thought I’d try out the CME WIDI Master instead.

Make sure both CME WIDI Master and Airstep are on their latest firmware. Airstep latest firmware can connect up to 3 devices simultaneously.

You will also need to make an adapter to fix FM3 + WIDI Master issue where FM3 feeds too high voltage to the WIDI. Do a search and you will find the thread with instructions.

You should then be able to make a config in the CME WIDI app where you can assign Airstep. You should not have to manually connect the CME to your phone or tablet any time but just use the WIDI app to connect.
Just read the thread about the Master Out plug heating up. Will give the adapter a try when time permits. May also solve my problem of the Master Out plug fighting for space with the power plug.

Just read the thread about the Master Out plug heating up. Will give the adapter a try when time permits. May also solve my problem of the Master Out plug fighting for space with the power plug.
Yeah I need to build one of those too. Getting it out from right next to the power plug is definitely helpful.

Just checking if it’s safe to just force the OUT DIN pin in.
I have the Xvive MD-1 Bluetooth MIDI dongle and the way the "Out" part of the dongle is designed with a 1/8" jack that the "In" part of the dongle plugs into, means the FM3's power cable is directly in the way. I ended up getting a very short extension cable that I use now because it's also a splitter, but yes, I was able to safely "force" it in with no damage. I don't know your unit that well, but there's a little play. Of course, this is unsanctioned, unofficial advice :)

I have the Xvive MD-1 Bluetooth MIDI dongle and the way the "Out" part of the dongle is designed with a 1/8" jack that the "In" part of the dongle plugs into, means the FM3's power cable is directly in the way. I ended up getting a very short extension cable that I use now because it's also a splitter, but yes, I was able to safely "force" it in with no damage. I don't know your unit that well, but there's a little play. Of course, this is unsanctioned, unofficial advice :)

Does your FM3 power the MD1 (the MD1 flashes blue)?

Does your FM3 power the MD1 (the MD1 flashes blue)?
Yep; so what I have to do is open up the Bluetooth setting on my iPad and then as soon as I plug the dongle into the FM3's MIDI Out/Thru jack, I have to immediately start trying to tap on it in the iPad's Bluetooth menu to connect - if I wait even a few seconds, it won't connect. Then I plug the other part of the dongle into the FM3's MIDI In jack. The part of the dongle that connects to the FM3's MIDI Out/Thru jack is connected to a splitter; this allows me to send the "thru' signal to my keyboard.

So yeah, aside from some slight initial connection frustrations and a relatively clunky-looking dongle/splitter mess, the thing works great and I've had very few problems with it after maybe a couple dozen gigs (can't remember exactly when I started using the dongle).

Back
Top Bottom