HELP - Setting up FC-12 w/ fav Axe-Fx 3 Presets (Layout?) + Mission Pedal Help

chaos83p

This community was really helpful the last time I had an issue a while back on the AxeFx2. You guys were awesome, so I'm appealing to you again...

I have:
Axe Fx 3
Axe Edit 3
FC 12
Mission Engineering Pedals - - (One) Black spring-loaded SP-1, (One) Chrome SP-1

ISSUE NUMBER # 1
The first issue is how to get my favorite presets from the AxeFx3 into the FC12 in a layout that is functional to me. Back on the old GT-10, this was silly simple. I marked presets as 'favorites', touched the desired footswitch I wanted to assign to on the controller and dialed the wheel to the desired favorite. Save, repeat, done. I want to end up with the following setup (just like on the old GT-10). 1 - favorite clean tone. 2 - favorite acoustic tone. 3 - favorite crunch tone. 4 - favorite metal rhythm tone. It seems to me that Layout number 7 on the FC or in Axe Edit is the most conducive to accomplishing this - but I'm confused whether I "copy" this layout to a new location (say 'Layout #10, unsure if that's possible) and how to do that. I don't like overwriting system/factory settings, given the consequences of micro-management during updates, losing whatever was in the system spot I overwrite, etc. I'd like to simply have my own USER layout somewhere that gives me this simple setup above. How the heck do I do this? I don't see a way to "favorite" presets on the Axe3, and AxeEdit confuses me as well. I'm sure this is very simple given the complicated things I read about you guys doing - so would greatly appreciate any help setting me straight. I can play my ass off, but the technical / software part of these devices leaves me feeling a bit deflated.

--> Can anyone tell me how to create my own USER layout and assign my favorite presets to it? Again, without overwriting any system stuff.

ISSUE NUMBER 2 (if I need to post this elsewhere, happy to do so - but figured I'd lay them both out here given what I THINK should be the straightforward response to issue 1).

I have 2 mission engineering pedals. Model SP-1s. One is spring-loaded, one is not. EACH pedal has 2 STEREO outs. This allows you to push down each pedal and it triggers a switch. My thought was to connect OUT2 of each pedal into the FC switch input, and allow each pedal to turn from one effect controller, into another. I'm not sure if that's the proper terminology - but here is the goal..... I want the spring-loaded SP-1 (let's call it the 'Black' SP-1) to be a WAH pedal. I want WAH to happen every time I press the black pedal, in whatever preset I'm on. If I decide to press the black pedal down and activate it's SWITCH, then I want it to become a WHAMMY pedal. I want whammy to happen every time I work the pedal from there on out - - up until I activate the switch again (where it turns back into a WAH). If the pedal is not depressed, there should be no effect on signal. Same deal with the other Mission pedal (let's call it the 'Chrome' SP-1). I want this one to control 2 effects - HARMONY (i.e. - duplicating my guitar signal and transposing into 4ths or 7ths, I think this is the same PITCH 'Block' as the Whammy above). Maybe rolling the pedal could change the interval - but I'm not concerned with that right now - I just want it to simply turn on right now). Lastly, the switched-function for the chrome pedal would be maybe a volume boost for solos (or an effect to be named later). Long story, short....2 pedals, to control 4 effects.

I currently have a TRS cable going from OUT2 of each pedal (as both outs on the SP-1s are stereo I believe) into 1 end of a stereo breakout cable that is coming out of Switch 1/2 and Switch 3/4 of the FC respectively. The breakout cables have a male TRS to dual female TS....switch splits the FCs switch jacks into separate jacks. The TRS cable from black pedal OUT2 is plugged into one of these breakouts from switch 1/2. And the TRS cable from the chrome pedal is plugged into one of these breakouts from switch 3/4. I have no idea whether a TRS cable from the pedal into a TS female on the FC will screw something up - but I'm all ears if I need to connect differently.

---> Any ideas from the community on how to get these pedals working to control the 4 effects described above? Thanks to all in advance for your help, as I'm stumped!!!

You don't have to use all the layouts and you can change them without any real worries because they are very easy to edit and the default factory settings are well documented (and likely downloadable so you wouldn't have to even 'reprogram the settings, just load the defaults if you decided you need them back)
Once you begin to alter them to your preferences you will understand this and not be worried.

To use all 6 of the FC6's switches for choices in each layout instead of some of them for navigation I make use of 4 external momentary switches as Stand In switches to give me constant access to things I know I want to always be one press away from happening. One of those switches is for my Drive 1 block. Tap it and it toggles between active and bypass. Hold that same switch in for a moment and you toggle between that block's channel A or B
So if Drive 1 block's channel A is a Tube Screamer it become, for example, a Fuzz/Face (Drive 1 block channel B) if you hold it down
...tap toggles bypass state....holding it changes it to a different variation of the block type by changing the block's channel to A,B,C or D
So each block can be more than one 'pedal'.

The other 3 stand in switches do double duty too. Tap switch 2 brings up a Presets page, holding it in brings up the Looper page....
Switch 3.... Tap Tempo... hold it and the Tuner opens up....hold again...Tuner closes and you are back to the switch being in Tap Tempo waiting for you to tap it for your next tempo change...

I have the FC6 set up to starts up showing that 'Preset' layout with all 6 buttons showing a preset from a bank of 6. If I don't see the preset I want, instead of tapping one of those 6 choices to go to that preset, I can bank up and down by holding the top right preset button on that layout to display the previous bank of 6 presets (bank down) and conversely, holding the bottom right preset switch in displays the next bank of 6 (bank up).

So you could use a 'preset page' to have all your 'favorites' ready to go and have banks full of favorites.

If you select a preset from the preset layout page it does two things right away, it automatically loads that preset as the active one in Axe/FxIII and the FC6 layout changes to the Effects layout page giving me access to toggle the bypass state or channel state of some of the effects blocks in that now active preset.
I have Delay, Pitch, Reverb, Rotary and some kind of modulation in almost every preset I make so those I keep as global toggles, holding instead of just tapping an effects foot switch will change to a different channel.
The stand In switches are always there for me to go back to the Preset page, or Looper, or Tuner....and go back to Effects page...etc.etc.

I haven't even decided how to use stand in switch #4 because I have so much already covered! And haven't even created any Scenes yet!

As for your expression pedals, I think there is a way is to assign the wah block and whammy to an exclusive group together so they don't both come on at same time and the motion of the pedal moving will auto activate the block. You'll have to get more help there, I haven't used it yet.

Last edited:
Randombastage - thanks for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to reply, I really do. It sounds like you have your setup doing some cool things, however - as a non-technical person, what I'm looking for is detailed instructions on HOW to do these things. Especially setting the Mission pedals up for WHAMMY.

For example...
1) plug a TS cable from Mission pedal A's OUT1 into FC12 SWITCH 1. Note: TRS cable or TRS-to-TS/TS won't work (<--- example)
2) on the Axe3, press 'Menu' ---> 'Option 1000' --> 'Option 2000'
3) change 'x' setting to 'Y' , change another to setting from 1 to 10 (or season to taste)
4) repeat for OUT2 of Mission pedal A, but into FC12 SWITCH 2 and change setting 'x' to 'Z', etc, etc

Does that make sense? I'm looking for a process I can reference and repeat in figuring this out. I figure anyone who has pedals connected to this thing -OR- who uses WHAMMY would be able to regurgitate the steps in a heartbeat - but for me, I'm completely stuck. I was never very good at the Axe Fx menus or settings, going all the back to the original unit. I'm a player - but again, not technical AT ALL. The blocks, the connections to them and how to order them is COMPLETELY over my head. I just like the great tones and amps that come from the unit. So, I want to connect my 2 mission pedals and have them auto-engage to control the effects above (specifically WHAMMY).

Is it at all possible to provide step by step instructions like above?

You ever get this figured out? I figured out how to use my SP-1 as a wha by both using 1.) the auto engage, which is not what I wanted, and by 2.) turning it on via the switch, which is how I like to engage it. But it would be cool to have wha work by auto engage and then whammy or something else turned on with the switch. I can tell you how to set up the SP-1 switch to turn on the wha if you haven't figured that out yet.

Back
Top Bottom