help setting up a patch with dual cabs

frankiev

Experienced
I should probably know how to do this by now,however... .I want to try setting up my patches using two cabs blended together . Im just not too clear on how to do that . Im assuming after the amp you split the signal to the two cabs ,but Im not too clear on the best way(s) to adjust the mix . Can someone whos done this help me out
Thanks

Well, you can either (1) split the signal to two rows, one each with a cab block, or (2) use a stere cab block, and select different models for the left and right. The latter is simpler, but the former gives you more control (you can put different effects on one cab than you put on the other).

If you've never played with two cabs, I suggest trying both options (two cab blocks on two different rows, and a single stereo cab block). If you're running into a stereo rig, don't forget to play around with the panning in both cases.

Daniel

Thanks for the info . Whats the best way to split the signal if I want to use two rows to two cabs . Can I just split it right from the input or is it better to use an effect.

I find the stereo cab to be problematic because there is always some cross talk or some kind of bleed from one side to the other. If you really want to be able to audition to separate cabs in detail it's better to use 2 mono cabs.

How do you do it? Create a very simple patch to test. Using 2 rows connect all of the shunts from end to end on both rows so you have direct signal. You can select the shunt and keep pressing enter or hold enter and it will quickly make all of the connections.

Once that is done start at the fourth shunt - the reason for this is you may want to add effects in front of the amp at a later date and then you won't have to mess with moving stuff around so much - now select an amp and a cab in the first row. Do the same on the bottom row, try using a completely different amp and cab. Now you'll hear 2 amps and cabinets.

One thing that you should do also is go into edit mode on the cabs and set the bypass mode to mute instead of thru. That way you can work on one side of the sound at a time by muting either cabinet. This would also be a good time to set your panning for each cab.

If you only wanted to use one amp sent to 2 cabinets you could easily do that. Get rid the amp on the bottom row, leave the cab. Now leave the top amp connected to it's cab on the top row but make another connection and attach it to the bottom cab. You'll then need to connect cab 2's output back up to the top row in the shunt that follows the top cab.

You'll hear one amp going to 2 cabs.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your tweakathon.

DZ

There shouldn't be any crosstalk using a stereo cab block with cabs panned panned fully left & right. There's a pan control for each and the default values are about halfway toward center from min/max.

I agree that there shouldn't be any crosstalk, yet there is. If you pan hard left and right and have each cabinet set to mute in the bypass mode one side always has some bleed that you cannot get rid of. I thought I might have been the only one with that problem but my friend Matman on this forum has experienced the very same issues. That is why I rarely use the stereo cabs.

DZ

dweezil zappa said:
I agree that there shouldn't be any crosstalk, yet there is. If you pan hard left and right and have each cabinet set to mute in the bypass mode one side always has some bleed that you cannot get rid of.

Are you referring to a single cab block in stereo mode or 2 in mono mode? I'm not sure what bypassing would reveal about crosstalk while a stereo cab was active--it would (and does) simply mute the signal completely with mute bypass mode. I just verified each side goes completely silent when cabs are panned hard left & right and the level of one is turned all the way down, no crosstalk at all. If crosstalk happened previously it must have been a bug that's been fixed.

I was referring to a single cab in stereo mode as being the crosstalk culprit. I haven't tried one for a long time since I was having that problem. If it is fixed now that is good news. I'll have to try it out. Fingers crossed that it does work on my system.

DZ

Back
Top Bottom