Help recording via USB into Logic-LOUD HISS

SJW

Bought my Axe Fx3 couple weeks ago and love it. Finally got all my sounds programmed to play live. Few days ago started the next chapter, recording. Plugged the USB into my Imac, opened up Logic Express 9, created a track, hit the record button and BAM! input levels maxed out in the red and a really loud hissing noise with only a faint guitar sound in the background. I'll admit I'm not tech savvy(I still play CD's), but I've tried many solutions. In Logic preferences I have Axe Fx 3 as input and output so it is recognizing it. So my guess is I'm not setting up the Imac to correctly recognize the Axe Fx. My OS is El Capitan 10.11 if that matters. Or maybe I'm not setting up the I/O's correctly on the Axe Fx. Watched a lot of vids and searched the forum, can't seem to find the answer. Appreciate any suggestions.

You have an audio loop somewhere. Is the master output in logic going into the IN 1 of the axe fx 3 ? Post a screenshot of the IO settings in logic.

Check the clock setting. If it is expecting 48k sample clock and not getting it, it will make a nasty static/pink noise kind of hiss.
I was hooking up SPDIF to test it, and I set the Axe to use that 48k instead of internal, and forgot about it. Next day I removed the cable but forgot to reset the sample clock to internal, and nearly panicked when it HISSSSSSSSSed at me. The cat? Departed in great haste for parts unknown.... :D

Axe Fx pics (1).JPG

Attachments

• Axe Fx pics (2).JPG
    Axe Fx pics (2).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • Axe Fx pics (4).JPG
    Axe Fx pics (4).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • Axe Fx pics (5).JPG
    Axe Fx pics (5).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • Axe Fx pics (3).JPG
    Axe Fx pics (3).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
@SJW Turn off “software monitoring” in logic

If that doesn’t work, try setting the main output in logic to “None”. Does the noise go away ?

Thanks toneseeker for the suggestions.(You too Joe) When I turned off the software monitoring the noise went away. Hooray! Unfortunately the input meter is still maxxed out with no way to control it. Turning the output knob on the Axe Fx has no effect. The problem is on the input end. I wonder if your first suggestion about the master output going into the in1 of Axe is the problem. Showing my ignorance, how do I check that?

Pretty Old Doug. Like to drive it until the wheels fall off. Thanks for the link but I did change the sample rate from 44k to 48k to match the AxeFx, didn't help. Search goes on..........

@SJW you still have a loop somewhere is my guess. Are you sure that input monitoring is turned off everywhere?

Just to be sure, change the output channel in logic to 7/8 and see if you are able to record.

Update. Unit is going back to Fractal to see if there is a hardware issue. Customer service from Fractal has been terrific. Will update once it's solved.

Update. Received my 2nd AxeFx3. It solved the issue with recording, so there was a hardware issue with the first AxeFx3. Now I have to send this one back because it won't work with the footcontroller. I was a little skeptical when I received the 2nd unit because it had dust all over it. Sure enough when I turned it on it wouldn't do anything. I had to erase ALL presets and then reload them for it to work. I'm sure hoping the 3rd one is a charm. Have to say I'm not holding my breath. This is the most frustration I've ever had with a musical product. Having said that, customer service has been very responsive. Couldn't ask for more help than I've gotten. If only the product was as good as the customer service.

Received my 3rd AxeFx3 this week. Works beautifully! Excuse my frustration in the post before this. It is a great product. But it shouldn't take 3 tries to get a good one, especially considering the costs. Speaking of costs I was held up for roughly 6 weeks waiting to get this resolved. Lucky or un-lucky(depending on how you look at it) I didn't have any gigs due to the virus, but I lost a recording session( which payed pretty well) and I bought a $200 program thinking the initial problem was my DAW. Turns out I didn't need to do that. Anyway, enough complaining. A big shout out to customer service, which was very responsive. They did pay for all the shipping back and forth. And a big thank you to toneseeker, Doug, and Joe for their help here on the forum. Keep rockin fellas'! Now if we can get this virus s**t over with, life will be good.

Back
Top Bottom