Help - Question about running stereo rig

Meatcurtains

My Axe FX II XL+ is still on its way but I've got a question for everyone. I'm currently running a Mesa Triple Rectifier and a VH4 with no modeling, except for a two notes torpedo on my Diezel. I want the Axe FX to take over for the Mesa, but I intend to continue using the Mesa as a power amp to drive my live sound until I can get a Matrix or something.

So my question is this. I want to use all of the Axe FX effects on both amps. How do I configure the Axe FX to output L and R to two different amps and only model on the Mesa (L)? Also, do I want to use cab modeling on the Mesa side, despite running it through the Mesa clean, connected to a Marshall 4x12 1960 lead cab? So basically, I want to use the full power of the Axe FX on the left side and only FX on the right side. I'd love it if this all used stereo FX as well.

Thanks for your help!

the explanation might be hard to understand without you having the unit with you. one way is to use the FX Loop block (Out 2) to send a separate signal that doesn't include Amp and Cab sims, and just pan that right, while panning the Out 1 to the Left. the problem you may have is Pre vs Post effects. it would be much easier if you just use Post effects, which are typically Reverb, Delay, Modulation, etc. but somehow you have to get your guitar to the VH4 input, yet not the Recto input.

i think you'll have to let us know exactly what effects you want where. the cabling might be tricky. also, curious why you are considering using Cab Blocks into the Mesa side. that typically doesn't work out well.

Thanks! That sounds pretty straight forward. I'm not decided on anything really. I might sell everything but my guitars if I get the right sound out of the Axe FX. I was just asking about cab modeling on the mesa side. I've never been crazy about my 1960 lead cabinet.

I mostly just use delay, flanger, chorus, etc. Nothing too crazy, but it would be nice to experiment with the Axe FX.

running a cab sim into a real cab usually "doubles up" on the "EQ" that a cab provides. so it's not like you're going to change the sound of that real cab. it'd probably be better to just do regular Graphic or Parametric EQ to adjust things. no rules though. try it, but in general it doesn't work out.

So would your advice be to use both of my tube amps as power amps with no cab sims. Still run amp sims and FX. If I did that, is there a good VH4 amp model stock on Axe FX?

i would experiment if you can. real amps sound great, and you have those :D there are Silver- and Blue- face VH4 channels 2 - 4 on the Axe-Fx.

you'll have to try things and see what sounds best to you. when you get the axe, we can help you with specific setups.

Thanks Chris! You've been a huge help.

i would experiment if you can. real amps sound great, and you have those :D there are Silver- and Blue- face VH4 channels 2 - 4 on the Axe-Fx.

you'll have to try things and see what sounds best to you. when you get the axe, we can help you with specific setups.

Back
Top Bottom