HELP!----Power amp wattage and speakers ---- HELP!

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Ok. I use a oversized Genz Benz G Flex 2x12 loaded with 200 watt EVM 12L Classics. Paired with a Matrix GT1600FX poweramp in stereo. Used for past 9 years and love. No issues. Just wanting to try a different cab and speakers for change sake.

Obviously the 200 watt speakers I now use can handle just about any wattage you throw at them. But I'm concerned if I get say a Mesa cab with V30's if I'd blow it up with that poweramp? I obviously don't play with Axe Fx II output full up, but typically run the poweramp at full or 3/4's. Please advise as I've never understood how to pair up wattage to speakers. Thanks!

Also any 2x12 stereo cabs I should look at and what speakers to have in them would be appreciated!

You'll be fine.
If you turn it up so loud that the speakers sound like they're going to explode....then turn down.

There are lots of threads on the topic, but 100watts of Tube power vs. 100watts of SS power is different.
The threads describe the math/science behind it.

I use a 1000watt SS power amp on a speaker rated for 350 watts....been doing it for years after Jay Mitchell explained the reasons why it was ok. (if I tried to explain it, I'm sure it would not be accurate).

Ya I've read where under powering is actually worse. I'm sure I would not crank it loud enough to actually deliver full ramming power to the speaker to damage it.

Speaker ratings are usually "RMS" ratings from reputable manufacturers like EV, Eminence and Celestion. If you are concerned, or want more power handling, look into the Eminence Delta 12a or Pro 12a.

Generally your onstage sound for most bars/clubs will be around 60-80w. (Maybe touching 100w on a big stage with a loud drummer) You generally get to a point where you sit in alongside the other instruments volume wise unless you want stuff throwing at you by them lol. If you're running a 2x12 then all will be fine, just watch you don't crank the levels on the amp and Axe Fx and keep an eye on the signal lights on the amp. If you're going for a custom style cab, then possibly think about wiring it for 16 ohms mono. That way the amp will produce the least amount of power giving you a bit of a safety margin.

I use a 212 cabinet with stock 100w speakers, and a 900 watt SS amplifier.
The speakers are 16 ohms each, so the power is cut significantly. (square law I think)
I use the SS amp in "stereo" mode, and drive each speaker separately, so my Axe FX time based effects are L/R in my near field.
If I run the speakers in parallel, the amp is looking at an 8 ohm load (bridged mono)..same output is derived.
You should be safe. As mentioned, under powering, and clipping the amp are more detrimental to drivers.

I run a Matrix GT1000fx 2u into a pair of Friedman 2x12s closed back cabs (stereo) loaded with V30s. Quite loud when the amp lights start to blink on, and when they go bright blue IIRC, they're either 6 (or 12?) db from the limit (amp).

Then SPLs are jumbo jet sized, and I know it's time to back off. That's usually axefx at aprox. noon+ and Matrix at 3:00, modulated by volume pedal. No issues with the V30s at <500W per side surprisingly.

Back
Top Bottom