Help please with global virtual capo

Keith White

Experienced
I have only hours before a show tonight and our vocalists voice is giving him trouble so i may need to drop the tuning a half step on the fly. I know its possible but i havent done this before. So i would like my fc 12 button 8 to be able to drop the entire preset, each preset 1/2 step. Can someone please step me through how to do this

I don't know about multiple presets, I guess you just make the pitch block a global block. Insert a pitch block, set to virtual capo -1, set bypass as a control switch, and set up selected control switch on your FC12, I also set up a custom label such as "drop tune".

You'd need to add a Pitch block set to Virtual Capo type following the Input block on each preset, set to lower it by 1 semi-tone.

Then you'd need to set your button to be a Control Switch and assign that to the Pitch block Bypass switch.

You'll also want to set the Control Switch per Scene to "Last" on each scene on each preset.

Sounds like a lot of work if you use many presets... And what could go wrong? ;)

I think what was stated before will work for you. Although it may be easier to tune down a half step, unless there is some reason that wouldn’t work?

With 8 scenes- another is to build a patch With in pitched (block bypassed) across scenes one through four, and (drop) pitched scenes five through eight using the copy function (and then toggling the pitch block on for scenes five thru eight).

Yes it uses a lot of scenes (And I think the control switch is more elegant), however it’s a quick and dirty way for me to take an amp I really like i.e. 59 basement for standard tuning and then drop 1/2 step into a Thin Lizzy set and have all the tones I need in 4 scenes.

There is no global VC yet, is the short answer to your question, and others have made great suggestions. This is why on my Axe Fx III I ALWAYS put a pitch block in even if I don't think I need it. Then it's too easy to set up a switch to turn it on/off or just pop its controls into the Global Performance view.

Why not just tune a half step down before the show so everything is already set? Will your bass player also need to tune down
I think what was stated before will work for you. Although it may be easier to tune down a half step, unless there is some reason that wouldn’t work?
Certain songs are fine down a half step but certain ones you lose all tone. Fleash for fantasy is an example

With 8 scenes- another is to build a patch With in pitched (block bypassed) across scenes one through four, and (drop) pitched scenes five through eight using the copy function (and then toggling the pitch block on for scenes five thru eight).

Yes it uses a lot of scenes (And I think the control switch is more elegant), however it’s a quick and dirty way for me to take an amp I really like i.e. 59 basement for standard tuning and then drop 1/2 step into a Thin Lizzy set and have all the tones I need in 4 scenes.
I have it like this now. I jist thought it would be easier to have a global switch

If it's just a temporary or occasional change, I'd put a Digitech Drop pedal in front of the AxeFX instead of trying to do it in the AxeFX. Editing all your presets to add a footswitch controllable VC pitch block could lead to problems, including running out of cpu. Unix-guy is right...whatever you do, do not put a VC pitch block in your presets with the shift set to zero.

Hope it worked out for you - I definitely would have gone with the tuning a guitar down in this particular situation. I've experienced a 'pitch block not engaged' issue before so am leery of my own ability to do it correctly across multiple presets. lol

I don't think that will work well as I seem to recall some issue of the shift is left at 0...
Yep there is massive latency with the VC Shift set to zero. My solution is to create another performance page item for pitch1 block on/off. Since the performance page settings don't override scene settings, you have to manually tweak it each time you switch scenes. I think the cleanest solution to have a Global VC would be for performance page settings to override, but maybe there is another way?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom