HELP! Please suggest budget FRFR headphones for patch tweaking with Axe Fx

Secret80'sMan

Experienced
Guys,
I have no gigs for a week and need to buy some headphones tonight for tweaking my tones. I can't afford the ones Luke lives and dies by even though I so wish I could. Can someone recommend something with fairly flat response, good comfort that will let me tweak at home and when I go out front during sound check not go "geez, what was I thinking, that is nothing like what I put together at home!" I can do $300-$400, maybe a little more if I can be persuaded.

I use M-Audio Bx8b's studio monitors at home and they are quite hyped and not close to being flat so if any of you have heard those before you understand my pain. A few quick suggestions before I leave the house would be really appreciated.

It's impossible to suggest headphones that will translate to your live setup. Too many variables...I can however suggest some extremely comfortable, good sounding phones that I use myself for listening pleasure and reference/editing mixes: Sennheiser HD 600. 8)

Thanks guys. I tried all of your suggestions and the Sony MDR-7506 were great sounding and a bargain to boot. The Sennheisers were musical and comfortable but I was worried they wouldn't necessarily be as true as I need for the translation to live. I think if I just wanted phones to critically listen top Dark Side of The Moon or similar sonically awesome stuff those would have been the ones.

I ended up going with the Beyer Dynamic DT880's. I tried the 770's too and they weren't as balanced IMHO and the bass seemed a bit more hyped probably due to the closed back construction. I will try these and tweak some patches, take them to the gig and see what happens. If no go then I have a extended return policy on these due to the holidays.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

I know it's only been a week, but how are you liking the 880s? Are they translating well for your live tones?

+1 for the Sony MDR 7506. I use them all the time and they sound good (to my ears). Not sure they would hold up in a live environment, but at home they're fine.

Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Electronics

Beware though, you may want to upgrade the cushions. The standard ones had problems. These cushions from Byerdynamic are an exact replacement. I upgraded mine and they feel better. A little pricey, but worth it I think.

Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions for DT250, DT280, Sony MDR7506 and V6 Headphones (Pair): Electronics

Sennheiser HD280 Pros. Good balance between price and performance. I use them all the time with my Axe-Fx II and patches created with them translate well to either my E10P powered monitor or the direct system I used with the Duran Duran group which was amps of some make I can't remember powered TurboSound mains. Occasionally my higher gain patches were a little bassy when I went to the PA, but that's to be expected coming from headphones.

Back
Top Bottom