Help please for a new user.

I just bought my AXE-FX Ultra, and after about a month of exploring the awesome presets I've decided to try and go deeper...a few questions.

1- How do I figure out which Firmware Version I have? And do I need to start updating from the start? Is it best to save my stock presets to my Mac Pro (where, as I don't understand the sysex librarian concept yet ? Can someone explain sysex librarian), and can I add different presets and import them into my Axe Fx in the groups I'd like. Can I rearrange my presets on my Mac, and then export back to the Axe?

2- How do I make the physical connections with my Mac Pro to do this? Do I need any special connections? I have a MBox 2, would that work?

3- Also, I have the MFC-101, and I've connected it to the AFX with a midi cable 7pin, but I still have to plug both pieces in to get power. In my manual, it seems to say that the power for the MFC-101 is supplied by the midi 7 pin cable from the Axe FX, but it doesn't work for me.
Also my MFC stops at preset 127, how do I change that?

I've read thru the manual several times, as well as the forum, but it's so technical I'm left with the fear of damaging my AxeFx if I do something wrong.

Thanks to anyone that can take the time to help.

To find which version you have push the UTILITY button on the front then page over to the right under FIRMWARE and its right there on the screen.

Thats all I can help ya with.

Don't use the MFC101, but usually phantom power is supplied through the little jack on the back of the unit beside the MIDI port. You plug the power supply for the controller into that.

For connection to the Mac you need to have a USB to MIDI interface. I'm not familiar with the MBox so I don't know if it has one, but I'd wager that it does. Connect IN to OUT and OUT to IN between it and the AxeFX. Install AxeEdit (from the website), configure the MIDI settings to match your interface and select AxeFX as the source. After that read the manual because it'll say pretty much what I would type here. :)

Before I did all of that I would check the forum sticky thread covering compatible interfaces. Not all of the play nicely with large sysex transfers which is what happens with firmware updates.

As for needing the update and/or backing up your patches. It's always good to back up stuff, but most of the time it's not critical. The latest firmware update (v11) is on the website's support page and it is a major update in the way that the amps sound and react across the board, but it's not a bug fix or additional feature type of patch so you aren't going to die without it. Most of us like the way the new update sounds as it seems to make the amps sound a bit more natural and require less EQ's and stuff to get rid of the flubby bass that happens with some of them.

Last edited:
Thanks Shasha, I think I'll have to but a M-Audio MIDISport 2x2. As for the power issue, in my manual it seems to say that I can supply power to the MFC-101 via a 7 pin midi cable, from the AXE FX, and only need to plug in the AXE FX. I bought the midi cable ( hope it's not bad ) but still find myself having to plug both pieces in to a power supply.

Also can anyone explain how I make my MFC 101 work past the first 127 presets?

For power to the MFC you will still need to plug the power supply into the back of the Axe and an outlet. Then the 7 pin carries the phantom power to the MFC. As far as the 127 you have to scroll past to other presets with the dial. Hope this helps you out.

Ed

Thanks Shasha, I think I'll have to but a M-Audio MIDISport 2x2. As for the power issue, in my manual it seems to say that I can supply power to the MFC-101 via a 7 pin midi cable, from the AXE FX, and only need to plug in the AXE FX. I bought the midi cable ( hope it's not bad ) but still find myself having to plug both pieces in to a power supply.

Also can anyone explain how I make my MFC 101 work past the first 127 presets?

Hello mate - yep - you have to plug the MFC power supply into the power inlet directly above the socket into which your midi cable goes into the Axe FX and then the lead should carry power to your MFC.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom