[HELP PLEASE] Broken SPDIF connector

[REPAIRED] Broken SPDIF connector

Hi guys, suddenly SPDIF out stopped working :(
After hours searching for the problem I discovered that if i push more the cable in the Axe-fx's connector it works. What should i do now??

Last edited:
I read on some threads that the XLRs actually give you a better and warmer sounds than the SPDIF. I don't think you are losing much!

I'm pretty sure the SPDIF and AES/EBU are both running on the same digital signal. They are, afterall, compatible aside from impedence and CD-text. It's a known fact that the Axe-Fx's SPDIF connector has jitter issues.

I'm using the SPDIF without problems on my end, but at the first sign of failure, I'll be getting one of the aforementioned adaptors.

Last edited:
I've read that the problem is not only the impedance. AES and SPDIF are two different protocols, very similar, but not 100%. So it's not sure that if you use the adapted AES->SPDIF signal it works. It depends on your hardware. I have to find the same RCA connector and repair it by myself :? :? :?

Hi guys, suddenly SPDIF out stopped working :(
After hours searching for the problem I discovered that if i push more the cable in the Axe-fx's connector it works. What should i do now??

The Axe's RCA jacks for S/PDIF are kind of fragile.
They're not really screwed/mounted into/on the chassis, probably for grounding reasons, and they can be bent out of their original position quite easily.
But I think that if you open up the box and look inside, you'll probably be able to bend it back to its original position, assuming of course that the problem you're experiencing is due to bending it out of place in the fist place.
After that, just be more careful when you plug into it.

and I never said that the problem was the impedence, I said
It's a known fact that the Axe-Fx's SPDIF connector has jitter issues.

I was talking about the AES->SPDIF conversion, not about the broken RCA connector.

The Axe's RCA jacks for S/PDIF are kind of fragile.
They're not really screwed/mounted into/on the chassis, probably for grounding reasons, and they can be bent out of their original position quite easily.
But I think that if you open up the box and look inside, you'll probably be able to bend it back to its original position, assuming of course that the problem you're experiencing is due to bending it out of place in the fist place.
After that, just be more careful when you plug into it.

Yes i looked inside, but I need to take off the motherboard to reach the soldering point. I don't know if it's just bended out or if i need to replace the connector, i will ask for brand name and model to USA support, G66 abandoned me.

Last edited:
I disassembled the mainboard :)geek), and I figured out that the problem should be the trace on the PCB between the central contact and an SMD resistor (R164), as also the support suggested me. I tried to resolder the RCA's pin on the bottom of the board (fig.1), for a moment it seemed to work but then nothing again.

So I GUESS the solution could be to "bypass" the trace with an external wire (fig.2), but I need to find a technician (and the courage) to do this.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 30
If G66 is going to play that game with you I`d never buy anything from them.

They said they can't offer support for units that they didn't sell, even if I pay for the repair. That's what I could expect from whatever company, but for sure it's not a very nice behavior for FA&G66 that has, for what customers say, a great support.
Nerver mind, i will repair it by myself.

LOL thats a good one ,I got this marshall from friend needs work can you fix it ,,Sorry we dont fix stuff WE dont sell

Back
Top Bottom