Help on Rust Never Sleeps/Rockin' in the Free World sound

Not enough mayhem here either. But thanks.

I am looking for his lead sound. he steps on the pedal and his device twiddles the knobs on his amp and the damn thing sounds like it's gonna explode - that's what I am looking for. I should have been more specific - it's the lead sound I am reaching for.

That Mayhem I posted was the real deal Neil. Lead starts at 4:41

Sooooo....finally had some time to really dig in to this and, like before, I've come back to the '65 Bassguy model. It just sounds so much closer to the tracks on Decade than the Deluxe Tweed. Run in to the OH_112_DLX_J12-PR_SP UltraRes IR (which you got for free in the 13.xx firmware upgrade) it's...mmm...yup. What keeps bringing me back to the '65 is how it cleans up when the volume rolls back on my guitar, even with high master and input gain settings. It cleans up much more like Neil's sound cleans up.

I have a patch here for you guys to try but...it's been dialed in with beta firmware. So you're going to have to wait a bit longer before you can use it. I dropped some drive blocks in with a Dist+ and an Octave pedal so you can go full-bore Neil mayhem with it. And there's a pre-AMP block tape delay. And some Studio reverb on the back end so you feel like a god.

I was jamming along to Cortez for a good 15 minutes and it feels pretty f'ing Neil to me.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the patch!
Sooooo....finally had some time to really dig in to this and, like before, I've come back to the '65 Bassguy model. It just sounds so much closer to the tracks on Decade than the Deluxe Tweed. Run in to the OH_112_DLX_J12-PR_SP UltraRes IR (which you got for free in the 13.xx firmware upgrade) it's...mmm...yup. What keeps bringing me back to the '65 is how it cleans up when the volume rolls back on my guitar, even with high master and input gain settings. It cleans up much more like Neil's sound cleans up.

I have a patch here for you guys to try but...it's been dialed in with beta firmware. So you're going to have to wait a bit longer before you can use it. I dropped some drive blocks in with a Dist+ and an Octave pedal so you can go full-bore Neil mayhem with it. And there's a pre-AMP block tape delay. And some Studio reverb on the back end so you feel like a god.

I was jamming along to Cortez for a good 15 minutes and it feels pretty f'ing Neil to me.

I love Neil, too. Great songwriter, his singing doesn't bother me and I absolutely love his guitar playing when he decided to rock out. He brings what is an essential element of some of the best guitar rock, controlled chaos. He's hanging on the edge with a rig that is barely contained (and sometimes not) from howling with out of control feedback. There's a huge sense of primal energy and there's also fantastic groove in the interact between he and Crazy Horse.

Sorry for one more not helpful post but this was a wonderful description of what is so great about his rock guitar playing/sound.

Had to wait for you guys to get the most-excellent FW 14.00, UltraRes, the right IRs, blah, blah, blah...BUT WAIT NO MORE!

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/84234-neil-young-rust-never-sleeps.html

Well, it only took me forever, but here's the song that started me on a quest for a RNS tone. THANKS to iaresee, and the P-90 on my Epiphone Wildkat, and a little pre-distortion from a morley volume/wah/distortion pedal, I got what I was looking for. The sound is on the outro solo, starting approx 3:15

Last edited:
Huh. Wonder how this would sound with Quantum? :D

I'lll just have to get off my fat ass and upgrade to find out. Maybe I'll record a little before and after... Thanks again for the superb patch. I use it quite a lot, though more often with just one of the two drive blocks on...

Back
Top Bottom