Help on patches for Noob

stevlam

Hi everyone

Just got my Axe FX II at last after an long wait and am new here. Wanted some advice on some patches. I play in a covers band mainly doing 60s and 70s stuff like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, T Rex, Cream/Clapton, Santana, ZZ Top plus loads of other stuff. Dont necessarily need others patches just advice on how to create them, what amps/cabs etc. etc.

thanks

Steve

Hi everyone

Just got my Axe FX II at last after an long wait and am new here. Wanted some advice on some patches. I play in a covers band mainly doing 60s and 70s stuff like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, T Rex, Cream/Clapton, Santana, ZZ Top plus loads of other stuff. Dont necessarily need others patches just advice on how to create them, what amps/cabs etc. etc.

thanks

Steve

Maybe this will help you: Amplifier (FX block): details of all amp types - Axe-Fx II Wiki.
It provides information about the amps, but also stock cabinet suggestions. Basically; if you like the tone/sound, you can use any amp with any cabinet of your choice.

How to create presets I would suggest to read the manual carefully and/or the wiki-pages (http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Presets:_how_to_edit_(grid)).
Good luck.

Last edited:
I thought the "Plexi Treble" Preset on the Axe FX II nailed the plexi tone, so you can probably modify that to work for almost all of them, especially Clapton and Santana.

However, when you say "The Beatles," to which period do you refer. It changes a lot throughout their career. For their earlier sound, the Vox based amp models are a good place to start, and for their later sound, try the Fender Twin Reverb based model

The Plexi Treble, AC30 and Vibroverb + pedals.

That should cover it all.

I recommend just start with amp + cab until you are 90% there before even adding verb or delay.

Thanks everyone.

Any of the standard presets I could use to start with for the bands I mentioned (gig imminent!) ?

006 - Top Boost - Beatles

008 - Plexi Treble - ZZ Top / Zeppelin

018 - Shiver Clean - Clean tones. I recommend this one over the Fender cleans because the factory fender patches tend to have some dirt in them. If you are in a hurry this patch cleans up with less effort IMO.

Richard

+1 Plexi Treble. There's so many variations on that one patch alone not to mention the others.

You are using Axe Edit yeah? I'm two weeks in and couldn't have done a thing without it.

Yeah I´m using Axe Edit, getting to grips with it. I will take a look at those patches to start with and try creating my own when I get some time. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom