Cap'n McErrsome

Heyo! This is my first post on here, so hello y'all! I got my Axe FX 2 Mark 2 now a year ago and I use to replace my Diezel Herbert by running into a poweramp and then into a guitar-cab, because I don't want to lose the feeling of a real amp, but have all the routing options as well as 2 amps simultaneously (it's awesome!). I also used it to jam and practice at home over headphones. Now I started using it also as audio interface. So now to my problem:

There is barely any bass when using it with a poweramp and when using it as an interface.

With my band I thought, it might be the poweramp (Behringer EP2000), since it's not the best and a little old. My guitar sound was just missing the "umpf". Those low frequencies that really come out when palm muting. I didn't do much to tackle this problem since those frequencies are anyways in the way of the bass guitar and it cleared up our sound overall. However it took away too much. I could barely "feel" the guitar anymore.
After running the bass-preamp through my Behringer power amp I could rule it out as the problem, because it was able to amplify all that low-end.

Now using it as an audio interface with my pc it again cuts away all the low end from my pc-audio (Music-editing, games, spotify, youtube videos etc.). Adding low-end with an EQ either from software or from the AXE FX doesn't produce acceptable results. It sounds artificial and "hollow". It sucks.

I went through all the options on the AXE FX, searched the web and this forum for answers and I couldn't find anything to solve this issue.

Please help me and stay on issue (I can already hear people typing about the crappy poweramp.).

Thanks in advance! ;)

How do you connect the Axe to the power amp?
Are you using a speaker cable between power amp and cab?
Have your tried resetting the system parameters?

To optimize the Axe for your cab, you have to find and set the frequency where the cab start to resonate. Here's the walkthrough by Cliff:

Put a Filter block after the amp block.
Set the type to Peaking, Q to 5 or so and Gain to 10 dB.
Start with a Freq. of 50 Hz.
Play some chugga-chugga and slowly adjust the Freq. until you hear and feel the cabinet resonate.
Make a note of the frequency.
Remove the filter block and set the amp block Low Freq. Resonance match.

My first thought was global EQ too, especially if it was bought used. To get in there and check, press recall then the global button. Once there, page over to the appropriate tab for the output you are using (OUT1 or OUT2) and verify it's flat.

Thanks for the quick replies!

How do you connect the Axe to the power amp?
unbalanced 1/4"s from Output 1 to the unbalanced inputs from the poweramp
Are you using a speaker cable between power amp and cab?
Yes from Vovox and they work fine
Have your tried resetting the system parameters?
No, is this what you'd call a factory reset? That's what the previous owner did.
To optimize the Axe for your cab, you have to find and set the frequency where the cab start to resonate. Here's the walkthrough by Cliff:

Put a Filter block after the amp block.
Set the type to Peaking, Q to 5 or so and Gain to 10 dB.
Start with a Freq. of 50 Hz.
Play some chugga-chugga and slowly adjust the Freq. until you hear and feel the cabinet resonate.
Make a note of the frequency.
Remove the filter block and set the amp block Low Freq. Resonance match.
Thanks! I'll try that, but even just boosting anything below 500Hz 12bB didn't help either.
Also when using it as an interface it cuts the low end.

Check you global EQ. Sounds like it's not flat.
That was the first thing I checked and it was and still is flat.

Welcome Cap'n, I'm curious if the AxeFX sounded good (the bass frequencies) up until recently, when you started using it as an interface? I also re-read your original post a couple of times. Specifically in your sentence
There is barely any bass when using it with a poweramp and when using it as an interface.
. Are you connecting to your poweramp and as an interface at the same time? Just trying to understand as completely as possible to help find a solution.

Cheers,

Lee

Back
Top Bottom