Help needed with routing for Tonex

Hi, did anyone manage to use Tonex with Axe FX?

Nope. The routing options make this impossible basically. Another thing is that captures tend to be more accurate when you're running a 44.1khz interface. Luckily my Helix rack is very flexible with the routing and I can change the sample rate to 44.1khz so that's what I'm using now with amazing results!

Reactions: TGM
Hi, did anyone manage to use Tonex with Axe FX?
It should be pretty simple. It's no different than using the Axe-FX to connect any analog gear to your computer. You're just passing audio through the Axe-FX outside of the grid. Then connect an analog in through the grid to Out 1. There are other ways to do it, but this way you're using the simplest usb configuration with channels 1/2 for both input and output.

Here are the instructions:

1) Mute out1 in the Axe-FX i/o settings.
2) Connect the out1 jack to your amp.
3) Bring that back to input 3 of the Axe-FX
4) Adjust the out1 block level as necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGM
It should be pretty simple. It's no different than using the Axe-FX to connect any analog gear to your computer. You're just passing audio through the Axe-FX outside of the grid. Then connect an analog in through the grid to Out 1. There are other ways to do it, but this way you're using the simplest usb configuration with channels 1/2 for both input and output.

Using the preset shown in the OP as a reference, here are the instructions:

2) Delete row 2 from the OP preset.
3) Connect the out1 jack to your amp.
4) Bring that back to input 3 of the Axe-FX
5) Adjust the out1 block level as necessary.

I’m going to give this a shot this weekend. If I can make this a simple process I’ll most definitely snag the ToneX pedal. If not, I’m just going to grab a Stomp.

Using the preset shown in the OP as a reference, here are the instructions:

2) Delete row 2 from the OP preset.
3) Connect the out1 jack to your amp.
4) Bring that back to input 3 of the Axe-FX
5) Adjust the out1 block level as necessary.
Thanks GlennO, have you tried this, or is this how you think it might work?

Thanks GlennO, have you tried this, or is this how you think it might work?
Yes, I use an Axe-FX as an interface to do ToneX captures and it works fine. There are various ways you could do this and the exact method you use depends on how you want to monitor and whether you're doing an amp capture or an amp and cab capture.

Here's what works for me for an amp capture. Connect AxeFX out 1 to amp input. During the capture, connect amp send to AxeFX input 3. To play the capture, move that cable to connect amp return to AxeFX output 3.

ToneXAxeEdit.jpgToneXConfig.jpg

@GlennO @mikeyg I received my Tonex pedal, and will try my first capture with AXE FX today. It would be great if you could help me with the following:

Accoding to the diagram shared:
1- Guitar goes into the front input
2- A Cable from Axe FX Out 1 to Amp input 1
3- Cable from my loadbox to Axe FX input 3
This is the suggested config for capture. However how do I monitor during the capture?

I didn't get this part: "During the capture, connect amp send to AxeFX input 3. To play the capture, move that cable to connect amp return to AxeFX output 3."

I didn't get this part: "During the capture, connect amp send to AxeFX input 3. To play the capture, move that cable to connect amp return to AxeFX output 3."
While capturing, put a cable between the amp send (or load box output) and the AxeFX Input #3. That routes the signal to the tonex app, which is listening to usb channel 1. Pay careful attention to the Input Config settings in the screenshot. When you're done capturing and want to listen to it, the app will send to usb channels 7/8, which you can hear on Axe-FX output 3.

I tried it a few times, and I had multiple problems. So let me summarize my experience trying to use Tonex with Axe Fx3:
I used the preset @GlennO suggested and did the routing accordingly.
Problem 1 - During the setup process Tonex kept telling me that my input levels were too low. I tried increasing levels through multiple places (amp, load box, axe fx) but it did not help.
Problem 2- In addition I was not able to hear anything during the capture process.
Problem 3- I completed the capture process and started the training process. However I got a warning, and the process stopped: 'Error while processing training files'. I searched for the error, and it seems most people have solved it by changing the interface's sample rate to 44.1. As far as I know Axe Fx's sample rate is 48kHz, therefore I have no idea how I can get past this.
Anyone else having similar problems?

It worked fine for me at 48 kHz and I'm pleased with my captures. Sorry, I haven't seen that error. The RTA is in the example preset above to give you visual feedback of the capture audio. I'm not sure listening to the capture audio is very enlightening, but you can route input 3 to an output for audio monitoring if you want.

Yes, I use an Axe-FX as an interface to do ToneX captures and it works fine. There are various ways you could do this and the exact method you use depends on

View attachment 115119

Hi Glenn hoping you can help me please - just got tonex pedal for the life of me I cant get it to work with AXE III

I just want to use it for eq knobs - volume - etc. - I think maybe my axe grid is not proper maybe - it worked ok with a fishman pro eq - but not with this pedal

Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks much

I'm pretty sure all the relevant settings for an amp capture are in the screenshots. You have to be careful to follow those screenshots exactly.

I'm pretty sure all the relevant settings for an amp capture are in the screenshots. You have to be careful to follow those screenshots exactly.
Thanks Glenn - I dont want to amp capture I just want to use eq knobs on the tonex pedal - volume - eq doing nothing :(

Going from wireless guitar unit into instrument in front of axe - tonex in and out to back of AXE input 3 and output 3

I got it to work Glenn - you have to push the C stomp button in lower right corner of unit - got lucky on that one - pressed it on and it worked

Is actually pretty nice in front of the Axe - step above the Fishman Pro EQ for sure

Back
Top Bottom