Help needed with routing for Tonex

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out how to make Tonex captures while using the Axe Fx III as audio interface. I've spent quite some time trying to figure this out but I can't get it to work. I'm probably doing something wrong.

The signal flow is as follows as can be seen on the image as well: Guitar - Input 1 (front) - Output 3 - Tube amp - Load - In 3 - Out 1. For reamping this works out fine always. As you can see in this image I have the main input set to In USB because the Tonex capture program needs to send signals to the amp through USB. I can't get the signals from the app back into my amp for some reason and I think that's where the problem is.

axe.jpg

Here's an image of the routing I have in Tonex:

tonex.jpg

Am I missing something here? I must be doing something wrong.... Or is there simply no way to get those test signals from the app back into my amp? So through output 3?

With my quad cortex and the IK Axe I/O interface it's very easy to make it work but those simply sound less good than the Axe Fx III or the levels aren't quite right. For some reason I can't get it to work with my Axe Fx yet.

Thanks! :)

Maybe the question could be as simple as: can I route PC usb audio through a preset in the Axe Fx III?

Maybe the question could be as simple as: can I route PC usb audio through a preset in the Axe Fx III?
Sure. But of course you need to send to channels 7/8. Assuming you're on a mac, just use the speaker config in the audio midi setup app. On Windows, no can do...you'll need to use input 1. Otherwise, you'd have to do an awkward workaround where you patch the analog out of jack 1 back into an input jack (and mute the grid output to out 1).

Sure. But of course you need to send to channels 7/8. Assuming you're on a mac, just use the speaker config in the audio midi setup app. On Windows, no can do...you'll need to use input 1. Otherwise, you'd have to do an awkward workaround where you patch the analog out of jack 1 back into an input jack (and mute the grid output to out 1).

Thanks. I'm on windows...

Use input 1 and set the input mode to digital/usb. Also, be sure to turn the level on your out1 block down to -18 dB to balance levels properly.

I have tried that but for some reason the capture signals just won't come through the preset and the amp in the chain...

Assuming you have a functioning usb connection, that should work fine. Use the Meters page on the Home screen to make sure signal is reaching your Axe-FX.

Assuming you have a functioning usb connection, that should work fine. Use the Meters page on the Home screen to make sure signal is reaching your Axe-FX.

Weird, I have tried it many times but never get sound. It's different than reamping through my daw. In that case I have no problem getting the DI signal back into the preset when I send the DIs to outputs 5/6 and set input 1 to digital. Maybe the routing in the Tonex plugin is off? (as can be seen in the image above)

Doh, I'm wrong. Of course, it needs to be channels 5/6 if you want to use an in1 block. I would use the plugin version instead of the standalone, and use your DAW to route to the correct channels.

Doh, I'm wrong. Of course, it needs to be channels 5/6 if you want to use an in1 block. I would use the plugin version instead of the standalone, and use your DAW to route to the correct channels.

Thanks! I tried that but the plugin version can't make captures :(

Then use the patch cord technique I mentioned above to get Windows system audio into the grid. Or simply route the out1 jack to your amp instead of using your row 2.

the only way to capture is to be at 44.1k. At least, that's the only option they gave me. I had to use the axe as hardware in/out rather than software and then it worked. Since the axe is 48khz, thats where the problem lies

the only way to capture is to be at 44.1k. At least, that's the only option they gave me. I had to use the axe as hardware in/out rather than software and then it worked. Since the axe is 48khz, thats where the problem lies

It's been working fine at 48khz. They fixed that

In summary, I would suggest looking at the problem a little differently:

1) Mute out1 in the Axe-FX i/o settings.
2) Delete row 2 from your preset.
3) Connect the out1 jack to your amp.
4) Adjust the out1 block level as necessary.

In summary, I would suggest looking at the problem a little differently:

1) Mute out1 in the Axe-FX i/o settings.
2) Delete row 2 from your preset.
3) Connect the out1 jack to your amp.
4) Adjust the out1 block level as necessary.

I hope out1 supports humbuster though...

Back
Top Bottom