Help MY WIFE! (pick out a Christmas present for me!)

So my wife has been pestering me about Christmas. Normally there's some goodie I want, but I'm really pretty happy with my AxeFX 3 MK2. The one thing I do want is super expensive (and not guitar related... Waldorf M synthesizer) but I thought maybe a cool pedal might be in order. Money is fairly tight this year but something in the $200-500 range should be OK. I can't decide if I want something like an Electro-Harmonix CockFight+ (a fuzz-wah) or go psychedelic and go for a Chase Bliss Mood. My worries are that the Cockfight is covered in the AxeFX and the Mood is fairly pricey and probably not something I'll use a lot, though when I hear it I really like it.

Thoughts? Is there something to having the real deal with a Fuzz? (I do have a Blackstar HT-5 Dual that I really like, but everything else is done in the AxeFX or in software.

So my wife has been pestering me about Christmas. Normally there's some goodie I want, but I'm really pretty happy with my AxeFX 3 MK2. The one thing I do want is super expensive (and not guitar related... Waldorf M synthesizer) but I thought maybe a cool pedal might be in order. Money is fairly tight this year but something in the $200-500 range should be OK. I can't decide if I want something like an Electro-Harmonix CockFight+ (a fuzz-wah) or go psychedelic and go for a Chase Bliss Mood. My worries are that the Cockfight is covered in the AxeFX and the Mood is fairly pricey and probably not something I'll use a lot, though when I hear it I really like it.

Thoughts? Is there something to having the real deal with a Fuzz? (I do have a Blackstar HT-5 Dual that I really like, but everything else is done in the AxeFX or in software.
I got a Boss Gt-6 I'd sell ya.

Poly Beebo - 4 in 4 out, touchscreen, convolution reverb, echoplex style looper, loads of synth modules and more.

Source Audio Ultrawave will do nasty fuzz, filters and more and it's stereo in/out.

As mentioned CB Mood or Blooper are wild fun. Hologram microcosm would be another glitchy/loopy one too.

Been thinking about listing an Enzo + I/O combo... definitely a walk on the wild side if you're interested.

Every past Christmas has been the same for me - my wife asks and I give her some links to cool stuff. Now that I have an AxeFx III, I don’t give her those links anymore - got everything I need in one box!

Been thinking about listing an Enzo + I/O combo... definitely a walk on the wild side if you're interested.
I like to keep my guitars less “synthy” these days. I used to be all about it, but after years of feeling constrained I just bit the bullet and got into synthesis.
Every past Christmas has been the same for me - my wife asks and I give her some links to cool stuff. Now that I have an AxeFx III, I don’t give her those links anymore - got everything I need in one box!
How dare Fractal squash our G.A.S! 😂

Mooer Ocean Machine. Getting lost in it is a bit like a flying dream. Devin Townsend was largely behind it. Here are 8 minutes I spent with it one day.

That does look interesting, though I’m not sure I’m that much of a tweak-while-I-play guy. I like things better where there are LFOs and envelope followers that can modulate things for me, or better yet, a way to assign one or more parameters to expression or MIDI CC. I feel like I get in similar territory with something like the Backmask and Blackhole. I think if I were to go reverb, I’d probably go Strymon Nightsky for the mod options. Maybe even get one for my Prophet 12 at some point.

Re: your question "is there something to the real deal fuzz?" for me the answer is not really. The tone for my stoner rock project is a Fuzz War into a Fender Blackface and I find that I can nail the feel and sound with my Axe-Fx III. I was expecting the IRL fuzz pedal to really "take off" and have this special quality to it based on what I've read but it just sounds like a different voiced version of the Big Muff Pi model that's already in the Axe and doesn't feel that different to me. Hope this helps!

I owned the EHX cockfight and sold it. The axe does the same thing; actually the axe does it better.

How do you get that talking sound of the EHX cockfight with your AxeFx? I'd like to add that sound to my repertoire!
You can get it with the formant block, set the control range appropriately and maybe even connect it to an envelope filter or LFO for "auto" sweeps. Add that before or after a fuzz drive to match what the EHX pedal does.

You can get it with the formant block, set the control range appropriately and maybe even connect it to an envelope filter or LFO for "auto" sweeps. Add that before or after a fuzz drive to match what the EHX pedal does.
I'll give it a try...thanks!

I owned the EHX cockfight and sold it. The axe does the same thing; actually the axe does it better.
Yeah, I’m in a weird state where I feel like the AxeFX covers so much, and the out-there stuff, which I like, seems expensive for the amount I’ll use it, or is covered in software.

I like to pick up mini pedals for cheap... sure they are knock offs and made from cheap parts, but for $100-200 you can get 3-5 pedals. Comes in handy as a backup rig, etc

Back
Top Bottom