Help...Mesa Boogie 20/20 vf 50/50 vs Carvin TS100

It would appear that the 20/20 is more popular, and actually may sell for a bit more than the higher powered 50/50.

Why? Is it because they can drive the greenbeans out of the tubes, for more tubeyness?

Thoughts? Also, comments on the Carvin TS100 in comparison?

Any assist would be great.

It would appear that the 20/20 is more popular, and actually may sell for a bit more than the higher powered 50/50.

Why? Is it because they can drive the greenbeans out of the tubes, for more tubeyness?

Thoughts? Also, comments on the Carvin TS100 in comparison?

Any assist would be great.

Probably because it is 1U and 40W total rather than 2U and pushing 100 Tube Watts (which is severely overpowered for many users) and weighing twice as much or more.

FWIW, I've seen a significant number of negative comments wrt the Axe-fx and the 20/20, YMMV.

Probably because it is 1U and 40W total rather than 2U and pushing 100 Tube Watts (which is severely overpowered for many users) and weighing twice as much or more.

FWIW, I've seen a significant number of negative comments wrt the Axe-fx and the 20/20, YMMV.

Could you capsulize what the complaints were. I am using a Carvin TS-100 and love it. Thinking of trying the 20/20.

Any other ideas?

By the way,...tried the Matrix, etc.....didn't care for it.

Could you capsulize what the complaints were. I am using a Carvin TS-100 and love it. Thinking of trying the 20/20.

Any other ideas?

By the way,...tried the Matrix, etc.....didn't care for it.

As far as tube power amps, the biggest difference will most likely be in the type of power tubes being used (6L6, EL34...). Beyond that, there is probably enough "tweakability" in the Axe to make them all sound pretty close (tonewise). I've used a few, and am currently using a TS100. Which Matrix amp did you try, and what didn't you care for?

As far as tube power amps, the biggest difference will most likely be in the type of power tubes being used (6L6, EL34...). Beyond that, there is probably enough "tweakability" in the Axe to make them all sound pretty close (tonewise). I've used a few, and am currently using a TS100. Which Matrix amp did you try, and what didn't you care for?

Are you using a TS100 as well? Honestly, I have no complaints with it at all.

I started with the Ultra and a Matrix GT1000. Hated it. First, I noticed, without comparison, that it was lifeless, dry, pale. I started to think about my Bose power amp that I use for my studio. Bamm. Killed the matrix. No ifs, ands or butts. Also, it is big and heavy.

So, then, I figured, because of the infinite search, that I'd try tube power with the ultra after talking to a tech a Fender.

There are many out there, and the price varies considerably depending on what you get. So, I started entry level. The Carvin for $300.

It kills. I have wood and glass coming out of my Gibson all day long. Where you get it is in the quality and depth of the mids, and lower mids.

My tone right now kills. I am just playing around now. Sure, I could go VHT, or other stuff in the thousands, but why? At this point, if I get a 20/20 and like it better, I'm good already. If I hate it,...I'm still good, with my cheapo TS100 that sounds great. The Carvin was $300, and my Matrix was $750, so money wasn't what I was hearing. With V-30's or V30/g12h mix. I would say that using an Axe-fx with ANY transistor amp, WILL NOT allow you to truly hear what the Axe is putting out. JMHO

Side Question...poweramp sims engaged or not? im thinking on buying a TS100. If it dosent color the tone in a negative way.

Side Question...poweramp sims engaged or not? im thinking on buying a TS100. If it dosent color the tone in a negative way.

In my case, power amp simulation is ON. I've run the Axe through both SS and tube power amps, and I don't notice any distinguishable "coloration" from the Carvin. The TS100 was not designed specifically for guitarists, it is merely a tube based power amp.

Hola, soy nuevo en el foro no sé si mi contestación se traducirá automáticamente al inglés, disculpad si no es así, leo bien pero escribo fatal en inglés..el caso
he usado la etapa mesa boogie 50/50 y hay un dato q se pasa por alto, si reducción a 15/15 q la hace totalmente manejable en estudio casero, tienes ambos mundos, estudio y ensayo directo, si bien pesa más q la 20/20 y ocupa el doble en el rack, solo por esa versatilidad ya vale la pena..además me costó mucho más barato y fácil de encontrar q la 20/20
suena rica rica, redondita y suave, si bien no pude apretarla para sacarle distorsión de etapa en mi estudio/local y eso fue lo q me decidió a probar una vieja solid state de estudio, la aechiconocida alesis RA 100 y a volúmenes normales me funciona muy bien, no he de desactivar la simulación de etapa y si quiero distorsión valvulera de etapa, lo hago desde los parámetros del Axe ultra..si no vas a usar un volumen de ensayo/directo es una muy buena elección las S state, saludos

Back
Top Bottom