Help me WAH

violindave

Inspired
Main instrument is acoustic violin with Schertler Stat-V pickup. This is an extremely feedback proof pickup at high volumes. The AX8 is working out great for me and I've figured out how to make all the effects sound great on this instrument and the low gain/clean amps. [High gain amps feedback but not what I need for fusion].

WAH is a different story. They feedback and are shrill. If I turn down the volume on the Wah patch to kill the feedback then the Wah patch drops my volume when kicked in. When I used an analog board I have used a Teese RMC, a Fulltone, an Xotic which was probably the best sounding. But with all of them I got very little joy trying to wah more than two octaves about middle C and I do quite a lot of playing higher than that.

Has anyone had luck creating a Wah patch that might work for me which is deeper and not shrill and feedback proof?

Maybe try using a filter block? A peaking filter or a low pass filter might work better for you. You have much more precise control over the Q and the knee of the filter with respect to the position on the expression pedal if you do this with a filter block.

Well reading the wiki I see the WAH adds 16 db at its peak, putting it at +4. no wonder I get digital distortion with it. Maybe if I cut the range back to keep it from peaking .... I'm already cutting the max freq to about 1500, maybe needs to go even lower, also add FAT and lower tracking might help

maybe I need to get an AXiii for that 8 band EQ on the wah ;-))

will try filter too

Thanks!

i typically use a lower Maximum, and also cut the Level of the block at least 3 dB. i don't want the wah to really be louder for my uses.

Try the wah of the free Glenn Delaune Matchless patch, and adjust frequency parameters to taste. Also check on the volume and delay blocks that are adjusted by the expression pedal also.

I'm surprised I don't see more people setting up their grids (or any factory presets) with the wah before the compressor. This obviously applies to more than the AX8. Discussion on this topic may be helpful ...

I use a comp block for cleans only and a wah block for distortion sounds only so the placement doesn't really matter to me as long as both are in front of the amp block.

I use a comp block for cleans only and a wah block for distortion sounds only so the placement doesn't really matter to me as long as both are in front of the amp block.

The discussion was centered on the wah increasing levels and various ways to tame it, which led me down the path of having the wah before the compressor.

Back
Top Bottom