Help me understand, please, how the cabinet block actually works.

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I'm trying to improve the sound of some presets to make them more "organic" if you will.
I find that the element that tweaks the sound most, after the basic amp settings, are the cabinets.
I downloaded the free IR from RW (the 1960A Marshall) and so far, my presets have taken on a whole new dimension with this amazing cabinet.
BUT - there is one thing I cannot grasp, it seems:

The cab block includes settings such as mic, mic spacing, etc.
The IRs downloaded come with files for each mic and each position.

When loading an IR made with a 414 for example, should I set the mic to NONE to get the 414-recorded IR?
If I want to change mic, I then need to lead the appropriate IR, not jet flip the mic type and/or mic position, right?

So is there a way to load the whole collection into the Axe so that by changing the parameters in the axe, we now hear the IRs that were recorded by RW with the mics?

Yes, set Mic to none to hear the IR as captured. But it's not against the law - use a mic sim as an additional filter if it sounds good (R121 can be a good choice for adding mid warmth).

The mic distances and locations just indicate which mic was used to record the cab, and where it was placed. It's worth spending some time comparing the different IRs at first to get a feel of what to expect. That way when you try one, but want a bit more or less of soemthing, you'll know where to start looking.

The other thing to bear in mind is that many of these IRs are captured nearfield and in front of the speaker. This is what gives you the recorded tone of a speaker and not the typical off-axis and so-called "in the room" sound that most of us know and love. Many of these IRs will have accentuated highs and often middle cut, which might need EQ correction to get to an organic, "middley" tone without exessive high end.

Patzag said:
When loading an IR made with a 414 for example, should I set the mic to NONE to get the 414-recorded IR?
Yes.

Patzag said:
If I want to change mic, I then need to lead the appropriate IR, not jet flip the mic type and/or mic position, right?
Also yes.

Patzag said:
So is there a way to load the whole collection into the Axe so that by changing the parameters in the axe, we now hear the IRs that were recorded by RW with the mics?
Axe-Fx II has room for 50 user IRs. Axe-Fx Ultra and Standard each have room for 10 user IRs. The full Redwirez collection of IRs in Axe-Fx format contains many more IRs than either of these.

Back
Top Bottom