Help me to keep Ax8, any tips on getting metal tones

I just recently purchasing ax8 and got it the 1st of February here's my problem I have a line 6 Helix which I really enjoy and I love things about it once in awhile it does Squirrely and you know I thought everybody was talking about the ax8 and how better it was well my problem is I tried it straighten to the front of the amp and I tried it 4cm. There was only a couple of High Gain tones that I was okay with but not too impressed except the jvm and a few others. My question is do any of you guys know how to improve that tone by going in and doing the EQ or something else because I do a 10 band EQ on my line 6 Helix and it just sounds awesome. Also the switching I'm not real comfortable with the go to preset or individual stop mode it's kind of easy but sometimes there's a problem with me going and switching banks I haven't figured it out yet. I really like the ax8 for its Clarity and clean tones but the real reason why I get these units is for the heavy metal tones so any things that you have to help me with I really appreciate it I want some YouTube videos and everything but I still don't have it down but I only have 14 days left to decide the return it or not so time is of the essence and I really don't have that much time to spend with it cuz I'm working a lot thanks for your help. PS sorry for the typos I'm using voice command I'm not much of a keyboard user.

If you could answer a few questions it will help us help you.
1. Did you turn off power amp and cab modeling?
2. What amp and cab are you running it through?
3. Are you making your own presets or using the factory ones?
4. There are a ton of low gain and mid gain amps in the Ax8 that may not sound great for metal, which amps were you using that you didnt like?
5. Do you have the ability to record a clip of your current sound so we know where you are at currently?

1. No, have not figure that out yet
2. Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100 head and 4x12 1960A Jcm 900 cab.
3. Have not made my own presets yet just open the box last night.
4. Jvm I liked there was one it was an axle Rose Appetite for Destruction there was a couple others I just don't remember off hand going through all the presets I think one was angle or angle meteor?
5. I could record but I guess my main thing is that everything just sounds like it's plain Jane nothing real special and I know that the presets you know have to probably be tweet I just don't want to mess with the unit too much because in case it doesn't work out on wonder return it and I don't want to damage it. That's why I haven't want to mess with the computer and edit the presets.

Ok, first off there is no need to worry about messing up the factory presets! If you return the untit Fractals will wipe everything you did. You need to get in there and modify some stuff if you are playing your Ax8 thru a real amp and cab.
You are going to want to bypass power amp modeled and cab modeling. To do this click shift then setup then press foot switch 1. Scroll down to power amp modeling and turn it off and then scroll to cab modeling and turn that off.
After doing that the factory presets should sound better.

Once you get it figured out, the AX8 does high gain in spades. Just plug it straight into the effects return on your Marshall (turn the volume down first) disable power amp and cab modelling, then try preset 15-2.

Keep in mind that if you're running into a Marshall power amp, everything is going to sound a bit Marshall-y. You'll be missing the power amp modelling, which is a huge part of the sound. Still sounds amazing though.

Last edited:
There's nothing you can do over usb that will void your ability to return. They would just reload the factory software if they get it back and you've edited anything.

Go into your global setup (shift - store) then go into Global and turn power amp and cabinet modeling off there. Should immediately sound like taking a blanket off your cab... Might be a little jarring at first but most people will agree it's the better way to roll if you're using a traditional guitar cab and amp.

I would recommend just plugging guitar into the ax8 then out 1 into the fx return of your amp for now. This will bypass the preamp and just send the ax8 straight into the power amp. That way you can just focus on getting the right sound from the ax8 and then decide later on if you want to do 4cm.

I can send you my presets later. They probably won't sound real awesome through your rig since I use really different cabs/speakers, but I think with your Marshall cab you'll be able to just tweak the bass/middle/treble to taste and get something good.

The ax8 is worth learning. The footswitches are so configurable that you can definitely figure out something that works for you there I'm sure. I'm happy to go back and forth on it with you before it's time to return.

As already suggested, begin by disabling power amp and cab modelling using the global menu.

My "recipe" for high gain tones is;
-Drive block before the amp with gain at 0 and level at 10; Super Overdrive, Tubescreamer and FAS boost are great choices.
-Amp block; pick your flavour. The friedman HBE, Atomica High, 5153 Blue , Angl Severe and FAS Modern all sound great at stock settings. The Mesa and Bogner amps are great but harder to dial in.

Robert Pazzella..Question..I originally had the AX8 (sounded awesome, but the U.I wasn't vibing with me.) Got the Helix, bought some presets and IR'as, sounds pretty freaking amazing I have to admit (The U.I. alone makes it so fun and easy).. I do feel like it's 90% of the way there, and the AX8 was all the way there.. I'm thinking about trying an AX8 again (since I've had some time to digest FRFR, programming a bit now..) Something about the Fractal's feel...very deep and lush..?? I have an opprotunity to pick it up super cheap, so..somebody either talk me in or out please LOL

Quick starter, the 5153 blue 100W. Gain max, Master 3. BMTP : 7 4 7 7. Then set the global amp gain (in global setup) to adjust it to a reasonably saturated metal rhythm tone. You're in the ballpark for a realistic rhythmic tone. I'm not used to fractal IRs but I can at least tell the 62 and 107 work well together, if you dim their low end a bit. If you don't get a good tone with that, I don't know what you're looking for.

Here's a good AX8/metal tutorial from Ola: , and check out Leon Todd's video on how to use the looper to dial in tones:

Robert Pazzella..Question..I originally had the AX8 (sounded awesome, but the U.I wasn't vibing with me.) Got the Helix, bought some presets and IR'as, sounds pretty freaking amazing I have to admit (The U.I. alone makes it so fun and easy).. I do feel like it's 90% of the way there, and the AX8 was all the way there.. I'm thinking about trying an AX8 again (since I've had some time to digest FRFR, programming a bit now..) Something about the Fractal's feel...very deep and lush..?? I have an opprotunity to pick it up super cheap, so..somebody either talk me in or out please LOL
There's nothing you can do over usb that will void your ability to return. They would just reload the factory software if they get it back and you've edited anything.

Go into your global setup (shift - store) then go into Global and turn power amp and cabinet modeling off there. Should immediately sound like taking a blanket off your cab... Might be a little jarring at first but most people will agree it's the better way to roll if you're using a traditional guitar cab and amp.

I would recommend just plugging guitar into the ax8 then out 1 into the fx return of your amp for now. This will bypass the preamp and just send the ax8 straight into the power amp. That way you can just focus on getting the right sound from the ax8 and then decide later on if you want to do 4cm.

I can send you my presets later. They probably won't sound real awesome through your rig since I use really different cabs/speakers, but I think with your Marshall cab you'll be able to just tweak the bass/middle/treble to taste and get something good.

The ax8 is worth learning. The footswitches are so configurable that you can definitely figure out something that works for you there I'm sure. I'm happy to go back and forth on it with you before it's time to return.

Ok, first off there is no need to worry about messing up the factory presets! If you return the untit Fractals will wipe everything you did. You need to get in there and modify some stuff if you are playing your Ax8 thru a real amp and cab.
You are going to want to bypass power amp modeled and cab modeling. To do this click shift then setup then press foot switch 1. Scroll down to power amp modeling and turn it off and then scroll to cab modeling and turn that off.
After doing that the factory presets should sound better.
Okay, yeah it's pretty easy without looking at the directions the first I did the shift store and then once you do that then you can scroll down with the nav button which is e. you just press enter in the global however when you turn the power amp off it sounds too plain Jane and I know I'm playing through a marshall I turn the cabs off which I've done that in my line 6 Helix and the difference is amazing. When you turn the power amp model off that's where I want the different sounds it's like having the preamp. I went straight to the return of my Marshall but what I'm experiencing is less than so great of a preset. Yes it's clean but it's too clean. so I really want to leave the power amp on to get a lot of benefit and I do not want to get rid of my tube amp. I'm going to experiment more today and tomorrow and without messing up this unit in that way I would like to return it if I decide not to keep it. Line 6 helix has another update and I kind of still undecided. PS I can't turn on my Marshall real loud. it's not really breaking up at low volumes it Powers down to 25 watts with a v p r button but I can't experience true Marshall until I really Crank It Up. So I need something to compensate. I am not ready for the frfr. I will keep my tube amp for now.

Last edited:

The question is is do you like using the computer to edit your presets or you want to go on a fly personally I do like going on a fly however if I'm on the computer it is sometimes easier and faster to edit your presets then I don't have all the software to sit there and plug and play I just sit there and play my guitar through an amp when I'm editing the Helix does have a lot of updated firmware which really makes it better not saying better than it ax8 but question is do you want very nice cleans do you or do you want dirty metal sound do you want to go on the Fly and be able to edit on the go if you're at a gig I'm giving it some more time I'm testing it out and testing all the options like I said I want to see what the hype was but I can't determine that right now yet maybe I'll get back to you if I decide

Okay, yeah it's pretty easy without looking at the directions the first I did the shift store and then once you do that then you can scroll down with the nav button which is e. you just press enter in the global however when you turn the power amp off it sounds too plain Jane and I know I'm playing through a marshall I turn the cabs off which I've done that in my line 6 Helix and the difference is amazing. When you turn the power amp model off that's where I want the different sounds it's like having the preamp. I went straight to the return of my Marshall but what I'm experiencing is less than so great of a preset. Yes it's clean but it's too clean. so I really want to leave the power amp on to get a lot of benefit and I do not want to get rid of my tube amp. I'm going to experiment more today and tomorrow and without messing up this unit in that way I would like to return it if I decide not to keep it. Line 6 helix has another update and I kind of still undecided. PS I can't turn on my Marshall real loud. it's not really breaking up at low volumes it Powers down to 25 watts with a v p r button but I can't experience true Marshall until I really Crank It Up. So I need something to compensate. I am not ready for the frfr. I will keep my tube amp for now.

Hey what EQ would you recommend I put a 10-band EQ but I didn't react the same on a patch the global one however reacted a little bit more to what I was wanted recommend going for patch or global?

I'm still trying to decided which one to keep.
... I still have my Helix LT, but am picking up an AX8 (couldn't pass up the deal) today. Now that I've lived through the programming of the Helix, and tweeking around with a friends' Axe Ultra, I feel a little less intimidated this go-around. Helix UI is AMAZING, and it records and sounds top notch.. The AX8 to me has just a little more of that 3d chimey feel...If the Helix, per say, is 85-90% of the way there tone and feel-wise, AX8 is 99% of the way there (I also think the effects are richer and more lush on the AX8(IMO) and isn't quite as "fun" as the Helix is to click around and tweek. I found an AX8 under $1K and figured I take another chance. If it turns out to be what I think it will be, I will be unloading my Helix (mint with Freman Big pack and Choptones) for cheap..

... I still have my Helix LT, but am picking up an AX8 (couldn't pass up the deal) today. Now that I've lived through the programming of the Helix, and tweeking around with a friends' Axe Ultra, I feel a little less intimidated this go-around. Helix UI is AMAZING, and it records and sounds top notch.. The AX8 to me has just a little more of that 3d chimey feel...If the Helix, per say, is 85-90% of the way there tone and feel-wise, AX8 is 99% of the way there (I also think the effects are richer and more lush on the AX8(IMO) and isn't quite as "fun" as the Helix is to click around and tweek. I found an AX8 under $1K and figured I take another chance. If it turns out to be what I think it will be, I will be unloading my Helix (mint with Freman Big pack and Choptones) for cheap..

Back
Top Bottom