Help me sort this modifier problem

fuzzyoctaves

Inspired
What I want to achieve:
I turn on a switch and I want a mixer block's row gain parameter to do a slow, but even fade. In using the Attack parameter, it does the slow part, but attack uses damping, so it is very uneven. It takes as much time for the last 20% as the first 80%.

Here is a screenshot of my current settings:

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 12.24.26 PM.png

Thanks.

Do you mean to change the curve to address the damping problem?
The graph currently is linear. Damping isn’t the problem - that’s how you’re setting the time it takes so it isn’t immediate, but a fade. Being linear is the issue.

You have to “bend” the graph so it isn’t linear using Slope, Scale, Start, End etc. so the dot moves up faster near the end.

Yeah - I understand how modifier curves work. Using a curve to address the fact that attack/release creates a non-linear response due to damping doesn't seem to be a solution because I need it the the parameter to move linearly from 0-100 and from 100-0.

Any other suggestions? I am playing with different mixer block channels now, but it doesn't seem like I can use an external switch to change a block's channel?

The action of the modifiers are not linear. Not really sure why, but have always been that way.

You can manipulate this by editing the curve. Try setting the 'Slope' closer to '0'.

What I want to achieve:
I turn on a switch and I want a mixer block's row gain parameter to do a slow, but even fade. In using the Attack parameter, it does the slow part, but attack uses damping, so it is very uneven. It takes as much time for the last 20% as the first 80%.

It's generally undesirable for the attack segment of the envelope to be linear. That's why you're getting nonlinear response. If you want it to be linear, then you must compensate by making the shape of the modifier curve also non-linear. Adjust it until the sum of those two non-linear responses gives you the linear behavior you want.

There's been wish list items for a while to have a true linear transition option for modifiers. As is, the dot slows down as it gets closer to the start or end values. You can compensate some with the shape of the graph, but it can be tricky to get the exact response you want.

I've managed to get a curve that works (somewhat) properly, but only in one direction (god help me if I want to change the time that it takes to go from 0-100 though). I don't want to use a precious FC6 switch to change the mixer channel so I think I am stuck. This is meant to be a standard part of my preset template and now I am rethinking the whole thing to use an expression pedal. Bummer.

I'll go and +1 the appropriate wish list items. The bottom line is that I think that hitting a switch to have a path fade in/out would be a very useful thing in lots of different musical contexts.

Simeon, while I am sure your "adsr that can be triggered by something other than envelope" wish would be useful in the context of all the killer things you want to do, I couldn't draw a linear curve with an ASDR, so I'm not seeing how that would solve my problem.

[edit]
Ah - I found this thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fade-in-or-out-without-expression-pedal.163164/

Last edited:
if you have an FC6 or FC12, you can change channels in a block

this is a good example of why we need an adsr that can be triggered by something other than envelope

The ADSRs don't change value linearly either.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/constant-rate-modifier-damping.147620/

It's generally undesirable for the attack segment of the envelope to be linear. That's why you're getting nonlinear response. If you want it to be linear, then you must compensate by making the shape of the modifier curve also non-linear. Adjust it until the sum of those two non-linear responses gives you the linear behavior you want.

The trouble then is that movement in the opposite direction becomes even less linear.

Back
Top Bottom