Help me replicate this sound...

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Ok... So this might seem a bit weird, but I'm going to ask for ideas in replicating a sound I created myself (back in 2015).

This was Axe Fx II with an eBow and a Wah pedal (inside the box). It's the "solo" section here (starts about 2:13):

http://toomuchfiction.com/mp3/looking_in_mix/Back_To_Life.mp3

Now, here's the challenge: I've never been able to use the eBow live. It's always something that just isn't easy for me to grab and use on the fly, and I rarely use anyway.

So, I'm looking for ideas on how you might get something similar purely inside the box (Axe Fx III or FM9).

Maybe a Synth block plus some flavor of Pitch block and of course the Wah.

I haven't tried anything yet - interested if anyone has ideas I can try.

Nice sound!

Ah, the eBow! I have an original one and used it a lot way back when. I think you're on the right track with a Synth, Pitch and Wah. The eBow can switch octaves nicely; I'd probably use a pedal to mix in an octave from the Pitch block, but not a full 100%. It also has a slower attack so messing with auto-swell will help. I'd also try a fuzz distortion with a LFO to wiggle the mix back and forth from clean to a bit of fuzz because the eBow could drive a pickup into distortion or rattle a string on the frets. It sounded like it was doing that during the solo a couple times.

Alternately, I'd be tempted to try using a driven amp, maybe the "USA Lead Mid Gain Bright" because it likes to go into octave feedback, at least in the patch I use it in, ride the guitar's volume so it's trying to feedback, and play legato and experiment with the pitch and wah or even auto-wah. Think Hendrix or Jeff Beck in a spacey mood. Use a tremolo bar to help get the slide sound.

(I used mine with my acoustic guitar several times too. It's a cool sound.)

Nice sound!

Ah, the eBow! I have an original one and used it a lot way back when. I think you're on the right track with a Synth, Pitch and Wah. The eBow can switch octaves nicely; I'd probably use a pedal to mix in an octave from the Pitch block, but not a full 100%. It also has a slower attack so messing with auto-swell will help. I'd also try a fuzz distortion with a LFO to wiggle the mix back and forth from clean to a bit of fuzz because the eBow could drive a pickup into distortion or rattle a string on the frets. It sounded like it was doing that during the solo a couple times.

Alternately, I'd be tempted to try using a driven amp, maybe the "USA Lead Mid Gain Bright" because it likes to go into octave feedback, at least in the patch I use it in, ride the guitar's volume so it's trying to feedback, and play legato and experiment with the pitch and wah or even auto-wah. Think Hendrix or Jeff Beck in a spacey mood. Use a tremolo bar to help get the slide sound.

(I used mine with my acoustic guitar several times too. It's a cool sound.)
Thanks... I was also thinking of Fuzz with some form of modifier to manipulate the gain.

Ok... So this might seem a bit weird, but I'm going to ask for ideas in replicating a sound I created myself (back in 2015).

This was Axe Fx II with an eBow and a Wah pedal (inside the box). It's the "solo" section here (starts about 2:13):

http://toomuchfiction.com/mp3/looking_in_mix/Back_To_Life.mp3

Now, here's the challenge: I've never been able to use the eBow live. It's always something that just isn't easy for me to grab and use on the fly, and I rarely use anyway.

So, I'm looking for ideas on how you might get something similar purely inside the box (Axe Fx III or FM9).

Maybe a Synth block plus some flavor of Pitch block and of course the Wah.

I haven't tried anything yet - interested if anyone has ideas I can try.
Very cool sound. I like my eBow (I have the Plus version that can add in harmonics), but since getting into synth it's been neglected. Like you, something I wouldn't attempt live.

I think Greg Ferguson gave some good advice. Could you maybe also be sure to use the gain enhancer in the amp block to manage the amount of overdrive with your playing technique?

Very cool sound. I like my eBow (I have the Plus version that can add in harmonics), but since getting into synth it's been neglected. Like you, something I wouldn't attempt live.

I think Greg Ferguson gave some good advice. Could you maybe also be sure to use the gain enhancer in the amp block to manage the amount of overdrive with your playing technique?
I like that idea. Maybe I can tie a controller to it... Not sure that parameter supports modifier assignment or not.

Will experiment tonight/tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom