help me out please. power amp noob....

Dudeskin

Inspired
Hi all...
Right, I've done evry bit of reading I can. and I can't decide what I need for a power amp.

I pushed the boat out getting the axe fx, so I can't go for a matrix or tube power amp.

I want cheap for now. So I have been looking at velocity 300 and sla2. Even looked at ipr1600.
I know this has been covered lots.
But I have a 16ohm cab that I want to keep. Rated to 300rms.

I was thinking more the art sla2 so its close to my 300w cab bridged mono. So I'm covered at gigs and stuff but not likely to damage my cab.
But the weight and banana things put me off.

I'm not sure on the v300, is it going to be enough?

I'm in the UK so its all expensive.
I need to get something so I can use the axe fx.

Please help guys. I'm lost.haha.

Joe

The velocity 300 isn't bad for the price... it's just heavy... almost 20lb! It does color the sound a bit. I got rid of mine for the Matrix.

(...)Anyone know about the connection to a cab? Is a v300 loud enough?
How should we know? Any details about where you use your setup, in what kind of venues you play etc. would be very helpful.
I also have another suggestion: If you play in a venue with a decent PA and a sound guy, you could go directly to the mixer, thus making a power amp (and a cab) obsolete. This way, you could save some money.

I have a 16ohm cab that I will be using at gigs. Can't be sure that places ill be starting at will have a good enough pa to want to do that. plus that needs some sort of reference speaker for me etc..

I want to be as self sufficient as I can without breaking my back haha

Good point. I forget this place is very diverse.haha.

Metal/ jazz/ djent band. Animals as leaders meets lamb of god kind of thing.

Just lost a bassist,but 3 peace inc me dimmer and bass.

No other guitarist, atleast don't need one yet.haha.

It's plenty loud... assuming you aren't playing ginormous venues
Well, in gigantic venues, there usually is a good PA anyway. And yes, the Velocity 300 is loud enough. By the way, drums tend to be dominating in very small rooms.

Cool. so either is enough for me.
As they are both the same price for me.

Which would you guys suggest I go for?

Back
Top Bottom