Help me Mod an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
need suggestions mainly for electronics. I already have a set of Dimarzio Transitions that sound pretty great in this guitar. I plan to replace the tuners with locking ones. Suggestions for pots, wiring harnesses...anything that will make this a great guitar. The pots and switch all feel a bit subpar and noisy. TIA

The probuckers were pretty good but i already swapped them out long ago. Ive been doing some research and see ppl with Gibby’s in particular going for these mssc prewired kits with bumblebees. I mean i have an Epiphone. And not using Gibson pups so is this even something I should consider?

IMO, doesn’t matter what brand of guitar or pickups being used, you want good quality parts. I usually use RS’s Superpots for the volumes, and their regular pots for the tones. Kind of partial to orange drops for the caps myself which I get elsewhere.

One snag I have run into is that most of these prewired harnesses come with larger sized pot holes (3/8"). Seems Epiphone typically uses smaller metric pots so this may require drilling which i do not want to bother with. I will have to measure my pot holes to confirm this I suppose

Here's the custom pro that I got to tide me over while my R0 was at Historic Makeovers a few years back. Swaped out all the electronics including a set of Suhr Aldrich pickups...it sounded great! I have since gifted it to my nephew. Don't be afraid of hogging out the holes, as it literally took one second per hole to do.......well worth it!

View attachment 60505

in case you reconsider buying pre-wired... this one is a lot of fun. I like options - lots of options (hehe).

image.png.b8159507f97e8cb4b425fdece2232a38.png

I use 550k super pots in all my les pauls. They really open it up. As for caps, ehh I don't buy all the hype, I just reuse the stock Gibson caps. As for pickups, I have suhr Doug Aldrich pickups in all of my les pauls as well.

Here's the custom pro that I got to tide me over while my R0 was at Historic Makeovers a few years back. Swaped out all the electronics including a set of Suhr Aldrich pickups...it sounded great! I have since gifted it to my nephew. Don't be afraid of hogging out the holes, as it literally took one second per hole to do.......well worth it!

View attachment 60505

Nice looking guitar! My Epi is my cheapest guitar but I quite enjoy playing it. With the right adjustments and slight upgrades can really turn these into killer players.

I use 550k super pots in all my les pauls. They really open it up. As for caps, ehh I don't buy all the hype, I just reuse the stock Gibson caps. As for pickups, I have suhr Doug Aldrich pickups in all of my les pauls as well.

I used to have set of Suhr Doug Aldrich pups in my EBMM Axis guitar. They'd sound great in my Epi no doubt. I've been in contact with David Jones from Jonesyblues about some wiring harnesses. Should be a fun project

Back
Top Bottom