Help me make my strat bigger

andyp13

Power User
hi
I have a custom shop 63' strat and really like how it plays.... My main guitar is a jap strat with EMG humbucker and 2 X SA single coils (I also have a mid range boost). On any lead setting the jap strat sounds huge and fat.
I would love to use the custom shop, I'm not expecting it to ever be big and fat like the jap, but no matter what I do with it, it always sounds thin and weak with no balls to the solo sound and certainly no clarity to the notes. Is there any particular amp or setting recommended to help me get a bit closer the the jap (without swapping out the pickups.

Load up the new Bank A presets, try the '59 Bassman with the default drive engaged. That's super "Fat" on my strat. Even the Double Verbvibe with a shimmer drive set to "0" drive works well.

FWIW, I always hear the thinness when I switch from HBs to SCs ... but I've spent the last week playing my strat (Nowcaster from Laurent Brondel and Chuck Thornton - uses custom wound Ron Ellis PUps) and I find that the new 8.01 F/W with the new presets can sound thick - loving it. I use Continuous controllers on delays and sometimes Input Drive (or scene controllers) - but the drives Cliff chose seem to work very well for deep, rich harmonic content. Gook luck!

did you try pushing the low mids with an EQ, you can try with EQ page in amp block. if you generaly have the tone-break up characteristics etc try post power amp. or you can use an EQ block after amp/cab. start with 250hz and move up if needed. this helps me alot with my custom shop telecaster to add some more body to tone.

Load up the new Bank A presets, try the '59 Bassman with the default drive engaged. That's super "Fat" on my strat. Even the Double Verbvibe with a shimmer drive set to "0" drive works well.

Andy, I may be wrong on the drive type (not shimmer) for the Double Verbvibe - it very well could be (and more likely) that it is a FAS Boost with drive set to "0". I'll have to look later today when I'm in front of the box. I do something funny on that preset (the default is a TS808 @ 3.54 drive IIRC, and I leave that for the X state). I have something else going on for the "Y". I'll have to recheck.

But try the 59 Bassman with Cliff's drive selection. :)

Put an eq before the drives, amp models , and use it to boost frequencies and volume. EMG's are much hotter than classic /vintage type single coils.

Make sure you are getting a solid signal into the Axe FX. You may have to crank the Input to 100%

Post a sample so we can hear what the custom shop sounds like. It's tough to make recommendations based solely on a description.

Personally I take the Gary Moore approach to guitars whether they are valuable or not IE he had no qualms about changing things on the legendary 'Greenie' LP.

I'd have the pickups out of that 63 custom without a second thought and put something else in that did the job I wanted it to do. The original pickups could be put back in with minimum effort at any time you wanted as well and nobody would know the difference. With a strat you can also hide lots of stuff under the scratchplate like the clapton mid boost kit etc. and nobody would know a thing from looking.

It's a nice cherished guitar I'm sure - but it's still a tool to be used.

If however you like the guitar's sound as it is through some other amp you own maybe then I'd be saying use some separate presets with a different amp model on the AxeFX to make it sound more like the Jap/EMG one, or add a GEQ block before the amp block that kicks in with a lead scene etc.

hi
I have a custom shop 63' strat and really like how it plays.... My main guitar is a jap strat with EMG humbucker and 2 X SA single coils (I also have a mid range boost). On any lead setting the jap strat sounds huge and fat.
I would love to use the custom shop, I'm not expecting it to ever be big and fat like the jap, but no matter what I do with it, it always sounds thin and weak with no balls to the solo sound and certainly no clarity to the notes. Is there any particular amp or setting recommended to help me get a bit closer the the jap (without swapping out the pickups.
Had the same experience and decided to give the passive strat to a friend and keep the emg equipped...
I'd recommend compressing before the amp your passive strat, as emgs tend to compress

Personally I take the Gary Moore approach to guitars whether they are valuable or not IE he had no qualms about changing things on the legendary 'Greenie' LP.

I'd have the pickups out of that 63 custom without a second thought and put something else in that did the job I wanted it to do. The original pickups could be put back in with minimum effort at any time you wanted as well and nobody would know the difference. With a strat you can also hide lots of stuff under the scratchplate like the clapton mid boost kit etc. and nobody would know a thing from looking.

It's a nice cherished guitar I'm sure - but it's still a tool to be used.

If however you like the guitar's sound as it is through some other amp you own maybe then I'd be saying use some separate presets with a different amp model on the AxeFX to make it sound more like the Jap/EMG one, or add a GEQ block before the amp block that kicks in with a lead scene etc.

I think your right, I should maybe look at some pickups, maybe the stacked humbucker in the bridge etc...

Someone sent this iphone recording to me last week from this past weekend--what better excuse to post our band than this thread haha! I did think the AC30 patch sounded pretty big even with the strat.

Sounds like you need to change the pickups unfortunately. I've got a Dimarzio FS-1 in my strat and it's a nice balance between power and keeping that strat vibe.

Dunno if i'm understanding well...
you are comparing passive SC (custom shop) with active EMG?
Man... use the hammer for the nails and the screwdriver for the screws!
Thare are things that needs the Strato sound and things that needs other guitars&puppyes!

Back
Top Bottom