Help me keep my new Axe-Fx III

Niko

Inspired
Hello,
Sorry for lengthy post . my history with modelers started 2 years ago when I purchased AX8 . While it is nice piece of equipment, I never really bond with it. I was using it occasionally in front of the amp for effects only. I play mainly modern country tele stuff and John Mayer/ SRV clean. My main rig is Suhr Bella Reverb and 64 Custom Delude reverb. I tried using AX8 for complete tone but it was lacking feel and tone mainly probably for lack of my skills setting it up and using HS8 monitor.
Fast forward to last week when I pulled the trigger on AXE FX III . it really surprised me how great and lively it sounds. Really easy to control from the front ( very Intuitive) , but mainly tone of the amps and drive blocks is amazing. I grabbed line 6 powercab from Guitar Center and been using it for a week. This brings me to my main question. Line 6 powercab sound good but pretty narrow or boxy for lack of the better term. I read many posts on frfr speakers and honestly it’s just confused me even more. Some saying Mission Gemini is way to go for the amp/cab in room feel , while others are saying it’s not good and overpriced. I heard that CLR is amazing but sounds PA ish and Hi FI. What you guys would recommend for best frfr for clean fenderish tones which would give best traditional cab in the room feel. While I am amazed how good and authentic axe 3 but I really wanted to figure out speaker solution which would fit my needs.

Last edited:
This is quite challenging because there are lots of different preferences here for FRFR solutions, and there are quite strong opinions which might be different to your own. The best answer is to try find someone that has them, or a shop and try them for yourself.

FWIW, I use 2 CLRs, and I love the Fender cleans I get through them, they sound really open for me especially with the latest Axe FX updates. I play through a large PA and the CLRs translate incredibly well to that. That said, I suspect you might get more 'amp in the room' from an actual guitar cab and power amp - but quite honestly I am very happy with my CLRs.

Chucma,
Thanks for your reply. Those strong opinions are exactly why I feel lost. Using power amp with guitar cab ..I assume it would drastically limit quality fo the presets ? I haven’t try playing through my Suhr Bella which can be set pretty neutral. I guess I’ll try run it like that and see how it sounds.

The Line6 Powercab has built-in Cab Sim as a switchable feature. If you are using a cab block in your preset, it will sound better if the one in the Powercab is switched off to give a true FRFR response.

The Line6 Powercab has built-in Cab Sim as a switchable feature. If you are using a cab block in your preset, it will sound better if the one in the Powercab is switched off to give a true FRFR response.
It is set for flat. I am wondering if Gemini will be step up from Powercab

Hello,
Sorry for lengthy post . my history with modelers started 2 years ago when I purchased AX8 . While it is nice piece of equipment, I never really boned with it. I was using it occasionally in front of the amp for effects only. I play mainly modern country tele stuff and John Mayer/ SRV clean. My main rig is Suhr Bella Reverb and 64 Custom Delude reverb. I tried using AX8 for complete tone but it was lacking feel and tone mainly probably for lack of my skills setting it up and using HS8 monitor.
Fast forward to last week when I pulled the trigger on AXE FX III . it really surprised me how great and lively it sounds. Really easy to control from the front ( very Intuitive) , but mainly tone of the amps and drive blocks is amazing. I grabbed line 6 powercab from Guitar Center and been using it for a week. This brings me to my main question. Line 6 powercab sound good but pretty narrow or boxy for lack of the better term. I read many posts on frfr speakers and honestly it’s just confused me even more. Some saying Mission Gemini is way to go for the amp/cab in room feel , while others are saying it’s not good and overpriced. I heard that CLR is amazing but sounds PA ish and Hi FI. What you guys would recommend for best frfr for clean fenderish tones which would give best traditional cab in the room feel. While I am amazed how good and authentic axe 3 but I really wanted to figure out speaker solution which would fit my needs.
honestly, you just have to try things yourself. no one can tell you what's more of your preference. the items you've mentioned are all good. but i'd start with things you can get easily and have either a demo or a good return policy.

the powercab is meant to make it sound more like a guitar cab, but it has the limitations of a guitar cab as well. it can work if that's what you're looking for.

i'd take your axe into a guitar center or similar and ask to try some general powered speakers like QSC K12 or CP12, Yamaha DXR10 or DXR12, etc. just plug in (keep the volume down as you change to different speakers) and see what you think. that's really the only way.

i personally go for gear that is readily available or easily replaceable, rather than one-off specific devices that could be hard to fix or get again. that's just my concept on gear in general.

I agree no substitute for trying speakers. Best is if you can borrow or rent and try at rehearsal or gigs. In my experience, a great DI sound from the Axe translates very differently through different full-range speakers, especially at higher volumes. For instance, I started with a Mackie SRM, and found I was dialing in all my tones to be dark and mushy, since the speaker itself was a little harsh. I also used a little Schertler acoustic amp for a few months, and while it sounded great at rehearsal volumes, it felt small next to a drum kit.

I now have a XiTone wedge and Accugroove Latte. They both sound outstanding, although I'd say surprisingly different since both are marketed as FRFR. I like them both because I can dial in tones through my studio monitors, and they generally sound great through those bigger cabs at gigs with no tweaking.

Then again, sometimes I'm surprised how a tone that worked in the studio really doesn't feel right at a gig. There's no substitute for rehearsing and tweaking through your full gig rig!

Hi Niko,

I believe that the best thing you can do when choosing speakers for the AXE FX III is treat it like a Studio monitor purchase.
One high value test is to get a high quality disk together with a bunch of songs you know intimately (the sound), and audition the speakers with music (not just guitar). Many speakers sound great with some specific guitar sounds but are inaccurate and fail with different sounds. The best 'leveler' is music.

If you play music that you know very well through speakers loud, and it sounds like it should, then they will represent your guitar sound faithfully as well.

Thanks
Pauly

Hello,
Sorry for lengthy post . my history with modelers started 2 years ago when I purchased AX8 . While it is nice piece of equipment, I never really boned with it. I was using it occasionally in front of the amp for effects only. I play mainly modern country tele stuff and John Mayer/ SRV clean. My main rig is Suhr Bella Reverb and 64 Custom Delude reverb. I tried using AX8 for complete tone but it was lacking feel and tone mainly probably for lack of my skills setting it up and using HS8 monitor.

Back
Top Bottom