help me get closer to this tone

gdgross

Experienced
Here's a fun tone that I'd love to get a little closer to having in my stable. Real dry, raw, stiff, crunchy, but not sustained...you can hear the big "grains" of the overdrive if that makes any sense. (I know it doesn't electrically lol). It kinda sounds to my ears a bit like a farty fender.

Seeing as he's using a tele, I started with my tele on the neck pup with the tone all the way down into the Princeton model, cleanish on the amp, and cycling through various drive pedals, mostly with the tones down and the gains to taste but on the low side. The fuzzes are too gainy and compressed, the boosts aren't gainy enough, and the TS's are too smooth.

I also tried no drive at all, cycling through various fender amps with the gains mid to up, trebles down and bass controls mid to up. That also kinda gets close, but there's a certain dryness to this tone that I'm not really achieving.

Any thoughts on how you'd go about it?

Thanks all ;-)

Although I can't be sure, it looks like the guitarist is utilizing a GK synth module. Instead of adding this, try the following:

If anything, I'd put an pitch block in your signal path with at least one octave down, and add some type of fuzz (which I sincerely believe is what's in use here) and put the guitar tone knob at 0 or close to it. You might also be able to add a parametric filter and boost the bass.

Amp controls I'd not touch, except perhaps for dialing down presence. IDK. More experienced folks will have a better idea of how to do this...

Can you ID any of the pedals the guitarist is playing through?

yeah, that lime green thing is actually a roland spd product - like a kick drum trigger. So, can't see his actual pedals 🙃

Will give the pitch + fuzz a try tho

TBH, it sounds like he's got his guitar's tone knob turned down well below what most people would consider pleasant.

TBH, it sounds like he's got his guitar's tone knob turned down well below what most people would consider pleasant.
Maybe it's a tone control further down the chain. In any case, all the treble has been sucked out of the tone.

TBH, David Grissom does some thing similar, tho his DG-30 imitates a combo of amps, AC-15, Tweed EF5 (?) included...David keeps his tone knob between 0 and 3 for the most part...the above tone example seems like Dave's, only exaggerated...

It's gotta be loud to achieve that kind of tone. Try the AC-15 with your ideal MV all the way up. If there's a gain stage, heavy on that as well...
yeah, been fooling with that for a few minutes now. there's no MV in the fractal model, but I'm fooling with the gain structure. (also did vox make a non-TB ac-15? The only model in the FM9 says "TB")

Yeah, similar to that - might be worth a spin with flats if I decide to really try for this sound.

I did zoom in on the vid a bit and it looks like he's actually on the bridge pickup, though it's hard to tell cuz it also looks like the selector switch hat is missing. But my ears confirm that gets me slightly closer as well.

Love MC btw. Looks lke her guitarist might also be using a rubber bridge guitar, which I gather are generally strung with flats too.

It does sound like there’s a rubber bridge involved in the OP video. You could experiment with some foam under the strings near the bridge.

1683778228117.png
I can see where the thought on the midi-guitar comes from, but this looks to me like a bigsby without the arm, and maybe a rubber bridge or some black foam as suggested...

Back
Top Bottom