Help me find my rig (FRFR/powered monitor)

Skyze

Inspired
Im going to make the switch over to powered monitors I think finally, although i've always been a "tube w/ modeller" kinda guy.. I'll try it out, and hope it works for me. Yesterday I went to the music store and got to try a Pod HD300 into a Yorkville NX25P and was surprised how good it sounded, so an Axe-FX standard with a better monitor should be even better (in theory)

I do have some requirements for my rig though; and while I've done a lot of research on which powered monitors are good, I would like some advice if any of you can provide. Keep in mind, I'll be using these as my backline on stage (replacing guitar cabinets) so im not using it for mains, but I do 100% plan on using live; not a bedroom rocker here, sufficient wattage is needed.

The things I NEED in a powered monitor:
- Small physical size, 10" or 12" speaker.. but ideally no more than 25" tall, 20" wide and 13" deep.
- Pricerange under $1000, but obviously less is better; I'll probably look used around $400-600.
- I need two inputs (I plan on running a Synth too) - ideally 1/4" or combined but 1 XLR one 1/4"
- At least 300W, im hoping that would be enough for monitoring on stage.
- XLR out to would be needed, as I may use my Pod HD with it for smaller gigs so can't use Axe-FX's out.
- Again for the Pod, having a basic EQ (bass/mid/treb) is needed on the powered monitor itself too.

Things that would be awesome to have, but not required:

- RCA inputs may be nice
- Wood construction would be a plus, but not if it makes the weight over 50 lbs
- Tilt back option would be nice, but not if it significantly increases depth (like 16" deep is nothx)
- I'd like the option to play with a 5string bass thru it too, so lower freq range the better

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to double check also; what I want to do is be able to have my modeller (HD300 or Axe-FX) send its signal to the Powered Monitor, but also be able to have a XLR out to the main soundboard. I believe that is included on the Axe-FX already, but for the HD300 obviously it is not; so if the powered monitor has an XLR OUT on it, that should give me the ability to still have a personal monitor for me in my little corner, but not needing to mic it for the front of house, correct?

Also keep in mind, I prefer a very smooth sound.. Not a big fan of shrill/trebley/bright tones, which is a fear of mine going with monitors (honestly I could never play a Peavey guitar amp either, they are so shrill on the high end) - so with this being said, the ones ive researched so far that were in the frontrunning was the RCF ART3xx or 4xx and EVLX112, due to how smooth people say they are. Also been looking at JBL PRX12 and maybe Yorkville NX which was satisfactory enough for me when trying it.

Anyone able to help? Please look at what I've wrote in the requirement sections instead of just saying "yea i like this speaker" that doesnt have any of those specs. At least try to get 90% of what I need before suggesting. Thanks.

Last edited:
QSC K10 or K12 are almost perfect for your needs. Look at their specs.

No eq (kind of, with the switches, but no real eq) and no wood, all plastic.

ive heard alot of people havent been too impressed with the K10 outside of the initial hype they get; especially for the cost when theres others out there half the price that sound much better. so hm.

The QSC K series is the only active speaker I know of with more than one input. I'm not sure about finding one for half the price that sounds better, especially given that you'd have to get a mixer for most others in order to combine two or more signals.

EVX112 has 2 inputs, believe the yorkville NX55P also does, and afew others that I can't recall off the top of my head. But they are definitely out there.

EV elX112 does have two inputs, the tilt back feature, 1000 watts, and has an XLR thru. I used a K10 for a very short while but switched over to the EV which I thought sounds a lot better for the Axe. It does have a wood cab and is under 50lbs. I have a friend who uses the Mackie HD1221 and loves it but I believe that comes in at like 51 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom