Help me dial in the AC30!

gberto

Inspired
I love AC30s and AC15s but I’ve been struggling to dial them in on the AxeFX models. I realized the reason I’m struggling is because the Vox amps I’m used to are the cc and hw2 versions that have a master volume.

Having a master volume allows me to dial in the gain level I want in the preamp, but keep the power section from distorting. This gives me a much tighter sound, especially in the low end.

With the AxeFX models having no master once I’m pushing the amp to the gain level I want it’s clipping the power section too much and the sound is a bit mushier and the low end doesn’t stay tight.

I’m not looking for high gain sounds, more like modern country tones with a bit of hair on them where you can dig in harder for some overdrive.

Any suggestions for how to emulate the master volume on the Vox models so I can clip the preamp without driving the power amp too hard?

Or tricks to getting a tighter, more focused light overdrive sound out of the Vox models?

There is a master volume on Axfx AC models - they are set at max to emulate no master, but, afaik, you can still turn the master down if you want to emulate having one.

Try increasing the Negative Feedback in the Power Amp page of the Amp block. This will also increase the volume so you'll need to compensate with the Level. Increasing the Cathode Resistance may work as well but is more subtle.

I love AC30s and AC15s but I’ve been struggling to dial them in on the AxeFX models. I realized the reason I’m struggling is because the Vox amps I’m used to are the cc and hw2 versions that have a master volume.

Having a master volume allows me to dial in the gain level I want in the preamp, but keep the power section from distorting. This gives me a much tighter sound, especially in the low end.

With the AxeFX models having no master once I’m pushing the amp to the gain level I want it’s clipping the power section too much and the sound is a bit mushier and the low end doesn’t stay tight.

I’m not looking for high gain sounds, more like modern country tones with a bit of hair on them where you can dig in harder for some overdrive.

Any suggestions for how to emulate the master volume on the Vox models so I can clip the preamp without driving the power amp too hard?

Or tricks to getting a tighter, more focused light overdrive sound out of the Vox models?
just turn the master down, it's there.

Try increasing the Negative Feedback in the Power Amp page of the Amp block. This will also increase the volume so you'll need to compensate with the Level. Increasing the Cathode Resistance may work as well but is more subtle.
This takes away the character of the amp. An AC-30 has no negative feedback which is why it sounds the way it does.

The Master Volume is there. It's on the Ideal page of Axe-Edit and the Advanced page of the hardware.

I’d turn down the input in the Amp block and raise the output to compensate for the loss of volume. The Amp block’s controls model the behavior of the real amp but with the additional flexibility of the overall block Level control.

GAIN + OVERDRIVE + MASTER VOLUME has good information about balancing the three to get the sound you want.

Amplifiers model list describes additional modeled amplifiers, like the Matchbox D-30 and the AC-20, with similar designs that might interest you or be closer to the sound you want.

This takes away the character of the amp. An AC-30 has no negative feedback which is why it sounds the way it does.

The Master Volume is there. It's on the Ideal page of Axe-Edit and the Advanced page of the hardware.

Thank you! I didn’t realize that control was there in the ideal/advanced pages. I’ll give this a try. Is it a master volume in the same sense as the amp where it would essentially reduce the gain level before the power section?

Might also be worth trying some of the other Vox-esque amps. The Dr. Z Maz-38, Matchbox DC30, and Morgan AC-20 all have some degree of similarity to the AC30 (the latter two especially). Otherwise check out the master volume control in the ideal settings page.

Might also be worth trying some of the other Vox-esque amps. The Dr. Z Maz-38, Matchbox DC30, and Morgan AC-20 all have some degree of similarity to the AC30 (the latter two especially).

Definitely! But there’s also something special and unique about an actual Vox that I’ve always loved.

Having spent money and time searching for an ac30 sound I have in my head (which is from a live concert soundboard recording of a mic’d ac30), I’d start with the stock settings and start hunting for an IR that gets you closer to the tonal character you want. The fact that you have the handwired model isn’t the entire issue. My favorites are from: @edo, @York Audio, @ML SOUND LAB, and @Valhallir. Each vendor has at least a couple that I like better than the factory cabs. Also, I just bought my first tone match ac30 sysex file (preset) of their ‘64 ac30 from these guys called Worship Tutorials that I like. York Audio has IRs from his red tolex ‘94 AC30tb that I love. I owned that (not his) exact amp and sold it to pay for my fx3. But if you are looking for an ac30 amp in the room sound and feel that actually breaks glass and compresses your chest, you’ll have to also address what you are listening with - studio monitors or headphones ain’t gonna do it.

I have basically no working understanding of amp circuits and agree that increasing the Negative Feedback does change the character of the amp but it's a parameter I use to get more 'headroom' or a tighter tone. There are other good suggestions here, and might be more logical options, but increasing the NF is a trick I've come to prefer as it seems to be a simple solution to making an amp sound tighter and fatter without changing a lot of other parameters.

From the Blocks Guide about Negative Feedback

"Higher values give a tighter and brighter sound but can be harsh at high master volume levels."

"...you might dial in some negative feedback on a “Top Boost” amp type to give the power amp a more “American” sound while still retaining the preamp voicing."

Having spent money and time searching for an ac30 sound I have in my head (which is from a live concert soundboard recording of a mic’d ac30), I’d start with the stock settings and start hunting for an IR that gets you closer to the tonal character you want. The fact that you have the handwired model isn’t the entire issue. My favorites are from: @edo, @York Audio, @ML SOUND LAB, and @Valhallir. Each vendor has at least a couple that I like better than the factory cabs. Also, I just bought my first tone match ac30 sysex file (preset) of their ‘64 ac30 from these guys called Worship Tutorials that I like. York Audio has IRs from his red tolex ‘94 AC30tb that I love. I owned that (not his) exact amp and sold it to pay for my fx3. But if you are looking for an ac30 amp in the room sound and feel that actually breaks glass and compresses your chest, you’ll have to also address what you are listening with - studio monitors or headphones ain’t gonna do it.
I'd be interested to hear that "live soundboard recording". It's it available somewhere, or if not, is it something you can post here?

It was on my hard drive of a laptop I can’t get to fire up anymore. Basically I have a few bootlegs of a live U2 rehearsal where you can hear the Edge’s ac30 on a couple anthem songs. Where it’s just Stratocaster > tc2290 (or sdd3000) into his amp. I can try to find it.

It was on my hard drive of a laptop I can’t get to fire up anymore. Basically I have a few bootlegs of a live U2 rehearsal where you can hear the Edge’s ac30 on a couple anthem songs. Where it’s just Stratocaster > tc2290 (or sdd3000) into his amp. I can try to find it.
Take the HD out and put it in a USB enclosure! Curious as well.

Ok gents. Found one. I think it’s Bono’s IEM feed from a rehearsal for Elevation tour. @strabes @Dave Merrill

SoundCloud Link
I played an Edge inspired part at 0:22 in this clip. I always keep the high cut on my AC30 at zero, but I bet bumping it up to around 4 or 5 would give you the warmth your clip has.

https://on.soundcloud.com/tYNAa95j4Ep3yDch7

If I remember correctly, the patch was just a compressor, drive block, delay, amp (Class-A 30w TB), and cab block with the VX30 Mix EDGY. It might not be identical to your clips, but it should get you in the ballpark.

I played an Edge inspired part at 0:22 in this clip. I always keep the high cut on my AC30 at zero, but I bet bumping it up to around 4 or 5 would give you the warmth your clip has.

https://on.soundcloud.com/tYNAa95j4Ep3yDch7

If I remember correctly, the patch was just a compressor, drive block, delay, amp (Class-A 30w TB), and cab block with the VX30 Mix EDGY. It might not be identical to your clips, but it should get you in the ballpark.
Your edgy IR is my go to in cab slot 1 in probably at least 20 of my presets.

Back
Top Bottom