Help me decide?

Akstrat

Experienced
I currently own a FM3/FC6 OMG9 setup with an EV2. I play out in a cover band 2-3 per month. When the FM9 was announced, I thought that would be the ticket for me. I'm now starting to think a bit deeper. I love the tones I get from the FM3 and usually to not need more horsepower. In the event that I do run low, I just make another more specific tone preset and move on. I typically gig with a LP and Strat. I use about 6-10 presets per gig. I can cover a lot of ground with those tones. I don't do a lot of recording, just gigs. It's only rock n roll, but I like it!

I'm now starting to explore the III, rather than purchase the FM9? How many guys are gigging with the III and one FC6? I already own the FC6, just not sure I can come up with a layout that would work with the III? I like to have access to 5-6 effects, tuner, and tap tempo. In addition, I'll need to be able to switch between scenes and presets? Not sure I can get that all done without a ton of tap dancing during the show?

If I'm going to make a change, I want settle in for a bit. I use to own the AX8 and now the FM3. I can come up with the funds to do whatever would be the best solution. One might make the case for the III and the FC12 or to add another FC6 and keep the FM3 as a back up? To be honest, I've never needed a backup. These units have been solid, as long as you stick to tried Firmware.

Sorry for the long post, just looking for advice from the guys that hang here. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Last edited:
Your good to go, I jumped on the FM9 waitlist and sold my FM3, but when I realized it would take a min I just did the big Sin and got a new III MKII, but I don't gig, only record, however My Last Guitar player used his III Live and Loved it and had a FC6 and the capabilities were astounding to say the least.
I would be Leary bringing this unit out to gigs as much as you do, Its so pretty and know shit happens, so keep your rig and maybe grab the 9 when all the hype has subsided

Maybe I just need to sit tight? I'm one of those guys that is always tweaking a good preset in hopes of making it sound better. Two amps have got to be better than one, right? The Fractal tones have all been stellar and playing live has been so easy. I really am torn. Sorry to waste your time with my indecision!

I use an Axe 3 with an FC-6 (+2 external switches and 3 expression pedals) for gigging. I use one preset per song and several of them are pretty complex. So far I've not run into any limitations I couldn't work myself through. That said, I'm on the FM9 waitlist, since I think it'd make a good backup unit for my needs.

Maybe I just need to sit tight? I'm one of those guys that is always tweaking a good preset in hopes of making it sound better. Two amps have got to be better than one, right? The Fractal tones have all been stellar and playing live has been so easy. I really am torn. Sorry to waste your time with my indecision!

I have a 3, i dont use dual amps.

If you always tweak, it wont really matter what you have imo.

I have the Axe III and FC6. Bought the FC6 as it was available at the time but full well expected to get the FC12 when it was back in stock. It's been a couple of years now and I still use the FC6 but did add a 2 button external switch. I have not really considered getting the FC12, there's nothing I need that I can't do with the FC6 and external switches.

Layout Links and Per Preset switches have made the FC6 perfect for my use case, similar to how you want to use yours. I don't use the tap tempo or tuner very often but they're available in one of my layouts.

Yeah I own a Axe3 and run it live with an old KittyHawk midi pedal lol... I only really use 5-6 scenes in a preset anyways so I'm no good to you! :tearsofjoy: I do know this though.. the 3 has plenty (and I mean plenty) of headroom for further updates and if you have the funds and don't mind lugging crap around I'd go the Axe3. I was initially going to go with the Fm3 for portability but I'm so happy I went the extra 9 yards ;)

You really can’t lose whichever way you go.….If I was playing out a lot I would keep what u have and pick up a FM9 at some point cause it has the mojo and almost all the bells …but nothing beats the seemingly infinite power of the III.

I’ve got a III/FC6 and an FM9. I had to make a couple stand in switches to do everything I wanted without hopping between layouts with the FC6. The FM9 negates the need for that, though. I love that I can access Scenes, Presets and Effects right from one button. Makes it the perfect platform for improv/jam sessions where I wouldn’t be relying on specific presets!

I have run into some CPU limitations on the FM9 that I don’t with the III, but those are my more complex/shitload of effects presets that I’m going to have to figure out how to integrate into the FM9.

If you don’t mind gigging with the rack, I’d just go for the III, but now that I’ve got the FM9, I can’t wait to start gigging with it! My setup/tear down is going to take 60 seconds!

I had the III, checked the FM3 but thought it was limited so I passed on it. The FM9 came out so I sold the III MK I, as prices were good and I was on the 9 list early. After more research and consideration, I decided to buy the III MK II. In the end, I just like knowing that if I can’t do something with my rig, it can’t be done by any Fractal rig. I have an RJM MMGT/22 controller, so there you are. Overkill? Yes, no doubt. And I like it that way.

By the way, a PSA: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-question-mark.149745/

Back
Top Bottom