Help me decide: Strat-style - Suhr or Anderson

Figured I would mention it since @Andy Eagle talked about the quality of the Anderson bridge.

For my 2 Charvel DK-24 guitars with Gotoh 510 bridges, I replaced the saddles with Wilkinson locking saddles for much better tuning stability. For myself, I would definitely opt for the OFR since the strings are locked in the saddle...

Those guitars are definitely on my list!
I'd forgotten about the Wilkinson locking saddles. Never tried them, but might consider them for my Suhr with a 510.

I've noted the comments about the Anderson bridges being Korean OEM, bit haven't read anything like "Be sure to budget for a bridge upgrade."

"Those guitars": Do you mean one of the Andersons?

"Those guitars": Do you mean one of the Andersons?
Yeah... Guardian Angel at the top of the list, followed by a Drop Top, then probably a Top T.

I was primarily a 22-fret guy for many years but with adding a PRS CE-24, a Suhr Modern and 2 Charvel DK-24 guitars (1 USA, 1 MIM) in the last several years, I'm discovering that I like a 24-fret neck.

That and HSS as a standard option has me leaning towards the Angel.

I was seriously eyeing them before Cliff posted his Charvel DK-24 USA Select (which I had no idea existed at the time) even though I had the MIM version.

My other thought is a Charvel DK-24 custom shop order with a Gotoh Floyd Rose. If I could get that I think it would be my ultimate... Not sure if they will do it but I plan to investigate soon.

Yeah... Guardian Angel at the top of the list, followed by a Drop Top, then probably a Top T.

I was primarily a 22-fret guy for many years but with adding a PRS CE-24, a Suhr Modern and 2 Charvel DK-24 guitars (1 USA, 1 MIM) in the last several years, I'm discovering that I like a 24-fret neck.

That and HSS as a standard option has me leaning towards the Angel.

I was seriously eyeing them before Cliff posted his Charvel DK-24 USA Select (which I had no idea existed at the time) even though I had the MIM version.

My other thought is a Charvel DK-24 custom shop order with a Gotoh Floyd Rose. If I could get that I think it would be my ultimate... Not sure if they will do it but I plan to investigate soon.
Cool!

I'm open to HSS, but would like to have the option to switch to SSS, which pretty much means I need to look for guitars with pickguards.

22 or 24 fret would be OK, so long as the neck position keeps the stratiness. Same goes for 25.5 vs 24.75 inch scale.

Last edited:
Cool!

I'm open to HSS, but would like to have the option to switch to SSS, which pretty much means I need to look for guitars with pickguards.

22 or 24 fret would be OK, so long as the neck position keeps the strainers. Same goes for 25.5 vs 24.75 inch scale.
You should definitely take a look at the Schecter Nick Johnston guitars.

I really want to play one as I hear they are very nice - even the "budget" models.

By the way, there are some SSS versions of the DK-24 with no pickguard, although that might only be the MIM line (which is still a great guitar!).

I really want to play one as I hear they are very nice - even the "budget" models.

By the way, there are some SSS versions of the DK-24 with no pickguard, although that might only be the MIM line (which is still a great guitar!).
I've heard good things about the Schecter Nick Johnston model, too. I won't overlook those.

Didn't know the DK-24 came as an SSS. Thanks for the tip!

I'd buy another Anderson Hollow Drop Top in a heartbeat, the best Strat/Superstrat I've owned in over 40 yrs. At least in the US they are affordable, here in the UK they are ridiculously overpriced at over £4200 !!!!!

I'd buy another Anderson Hollow Drop Top in a heartbeat, the best Strat/Superstrat I've owned in over 40 yrs. At least in the US they are affordable, here in the UK they are ridiculously overpriced at over £4200 !!!!!
Wow! That's $5570 in the US, plus tax!

By the way, the guitar in your avatar looks familiar.

Attachments

• ysmyp6fpj8igcq2jeck7.jpg
    ysmyp6fpj8igcq2jeck7.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 8
So, I made a decision ... but returned for refund.

I bought, online, a Suhr Classic S Paulownia. Based on what I'd read and the specs, I thought it would be just what I was looking for. But, I was wrong - at least with this one.

The fit and finish were great, but the sound before plugging in was thin and kinda bland. I plugged into my AxeFX III and had the same impression. It just didn't sound good to me - and I tried a lot of presets. I even tried out two other guitars to make sure it wasn't some technical issue or my own ears. The other guitars sounded just fine.

I don't know what the "issue" might be. The guitar arrived tuned high, up a full step to F# - kinda odd. I tuned to standard pitch. I'm assuming the strings were the usual gauge Suhr uses, but wondered later if someone had put on lighter gauge - like 008s, but I think I would have noticed that.

Anyhow, I returned the guitar and should get my refund tomorrow.

I've more or less ruled out Suhr at this point, not because they don't make great guitars, but because buying online just to try out gets expensive - about $150 each time for shipping to me plus return shipping.

I'm looking seriously at Anderson now, but not sure if I should go for the Icon Classic or one of the other models like the Drop Top or Angel.

Do any of you happen to know if the Anderson Icon Classic uses a standard Fender-compatible pickguard?
I am 90% sure that you would need to get a pick guard from Anderson. I don't think they are compatible.

I have a Suhr Standard (HSS) and had a USA made Nick Johnston Schecter model HSS. The Schecter was a fabulous guitar. Ultimately I decided I liked the neck on the Suhr a little better and so kept that one, but, just personal preference. They were comparable in quality in every way.

I have a Suhr Standard (HSS) and had a USA made Nick Johnston Schecter model HSS. The Schecter was a fabulous guitar. Ultimately I decided I liked the neck on the Suhr a little better and so kept that one, but, just personal preference. They were comparable in quality in every way.
I think the Schecter probably has a more symmetrical and slightly thicker neck carve, right?

How about the sound?

Why do Anderson’s have 2 strap buttons,

It is supposed to be so that they can easily be stood up on their end with the two strap buttons serving as feet. This is a useless feature in my opinion because I never lean my guitars against amps or other surfaces. Adding to my dislike of that so called feature, neither of the two buttons are in line with the center of the body which triggers my OCD.

I think the Schecter probably has a more symmetrical and slightly thicker neck carve, right?

How about the sound?
Full disclosure, the Suhr is my favorite guitar ever.

On the neck carves, what was most important to me was, 12th fret and below they were pretty close, up higher the Suhr seemed to have a little more room on the board for me and was easier to play. It could have been other factors too, like the medium SS frets on the Suhr that I really like, where the Schecter had Jumbos, or the maple board on the Suhr is easier for me to see these days :)

Another notable was the Schecter trem, it was fantastic. Held tuning better than any non-locking trem I have ever had, including the Gotoh 510 on the Suhr.

On tone, the Suhr has the SSH+ and ML single coils. It just seems to be able to nail such a wide variety of tones. And the single coils get this great mix of saturation and fluidity very quickly with some distortion. The Schecter was a bit darker, very full sounding, but harder for me to dial in what I was going for. Still sounded great though. But in comparison to that Suhr, the bar is very high.

It is supposed to be so that they can easily be stood up on their end with the two strap buttons serving as feet. This is a useless feature in my opinion because I never lean my guitars against amps or other surfaces. Adding to my dislike of that so called feature, neither of the two buttons are in line with the center of the body which triggers my OCD.
FYI, it's an option when you order. My T only has a center strap button.

Back
Top Bottom