Help me decide: Strat-style - Suhr or Anderson

I've got a couple RGs that weigh next to nothing, it's nice.

Apropos of Tom Anderson Guitars, I e-mailed him in 2019 when my Dad handed me down this custom '84-ish Zion in my av. I reached out to him because he provided that body to Zion. Two pieces of solid quilted maple. Now THAT is a heavy guitar. North of 9 lbs. The figured maple is ridiculously deep.
Mr. Anderson got back to me to say yes he remembered doing some spec bodies for some folks back then, but no they had no records and no one really remembers any specifics. Cool e-mail to have, though.

Personally I am really digging the Suhrs I see. I want one, but I think I want the Guthrie Govan Charvel the most.

Attachments

• 1984 Custom Zion New Pickguard Red Knobs 5.jpg
    1984 Custom Zion New Pickguard Red Knobs 5.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 20191114_233055 - Copy.jpg
    20191114_233055 - Copy.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 21
I've got a couple RGs that weigh next to nothing, it's nice.

Apropos of Tom Anderson Guitars, I e-mailed him in 2019 when my Dad handed me down this custom '84-ish Zion in my av. I reached out to him because he provided that body to Zion. Two pieces of solid quilted maple. Now THAT is a heavy guitar. North of 9 lbs. The figured maple is ridiculously deep.
Mr. Anderson got back to me to say yes he remembered doing some spec bodies for some folks back then, but no they had no records and no one really remembers any specifics. Cool e-mail to have, though.

Personally I am really digging the Suhrs I see. I want one, but I think I want the Guthrie Govan Charvel the most.
I had a Zion in the late 80s, early 90s that looked a lot like yours. I bought it at Masterpiece Guitars in Stuttgart. That's a guitar I should have held on to.

That's a 7 not a 4, great guitar though .
Howdy Andy,
Yes that is a 7. See it says 2/87? That isn't February 1987. It is #2 of 87 pieces in that run, those bodies went all over. The man who commissioned the instrument is a long-time family friend, which is how we came to possess it, and we had it in '85, so yeah he got it in '84. It's a Lukather Model clone from Zion, I just swapped out the EMGs. She's one of a kind. Like I said, I did correspond with Tom Anderson personally regarding this instrument. I'd talk to Ken Hoover about it but he passed years ago.

I love those Suhrs but now that Ibanez has the roasted maple necks I want one of those, too.

Back
Top Bottom