Help me decide on studio monitors

I can point you in the direction of some monitors to try out: The Adam 7 and Adam 7X are great: So I have high hopes for new kid on the block: Adam Tv7 @ $499 a pair: haven't heard 'em yet, nor have I heard the new JBL 305P MkII or 308P MkII: The new JBL versions claim the bass response doesn't shift subtly at low volume: something I barely notice in the excellent LSR 305 and 308 (which I've used extensively) and attributed to Fletcher-Munson related perceptual causes: as I do with monitoring in general - when making assessments at different volume levels. Many studios have the Yamaha HS8s: I often use them, and they are excellent.

I have the A7xs and they sound great. These T7s sound promising

below 600 for a pair, u better find a shop and listen for yourself. The differences are huge below this pricepoint. The alphas 50 are okay and might work. So do Fostex and Yamaha speakers and so on. But we don't know what you are looking for cuz at this pricepoint you have prioitize things over another. Maybe you could list here what is important to you in your next speakers: high volume or low volume listening enviroment, deep or tight bass, listening position fixed or wide, mixing for sale or demos, price including stands/Pads or not, big room or small room, filter options or not, planing to use a secondary speaker-setup yet?

The new Adam T Series monitors look interesting, at a good price point.

My Adam P11A monitors are outstanding.

i was able to go to a shop and A/B around 25 different sets of stereo monitors in a dedicated listening room. In my experience the difference in quality was noticeable but sometimes very slight between the price ranges. For instance,the Genelec were better than the Adam's, which were better than the Focal's BUT the difference in price was not justified for me. It really does help if you can go and listen to a few side by side.

I purchased the Focals, by far the best bang for buck for my needs.

Last edited:
Had the Presonus 8 but returned them due to the fact they were too big for the size of the room I play in. Just exchanged them a pair of Focal Alpha 50 monitors and they sound much better for me. I had different monitors before but could not make them sound good because I didn’t know what I was doing when I first got the AX8. After having it for a while now and reading the forums it is way easier for me to get a good sound with the AX8.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I went with the Focal Alpha 50. After comparing reviews of the Focal against some of the others listed here I felt that they were a good place to start. Sweetwater had an open box set laying around so I was able to get them and fall under budget. They should arrive tomorrow so I will post an update at some point this week. Thanks again!

Update: So after about 10 hrs of working with the Focal Alpha 50 speakers I feel that it is a definite improvement over the M Audio BX6 Carbon series that I have been using for the last 2 years. There is still a little bump at 137 hz but it is more manageable than before. Generally just flipping the low cut switch in the amp block takes care of the issue. As for listening to mixes there is a tightness to the Focals that was missing from the M Audio and overall they are a bit cleaner and less harsh in the higher registers. Again Thanks to everyone for chiming in with their thoughts, opinions and ideas!

I like my equator audio d5's. They've served me well enough for all purposes. Don't have anything to compare them to though.

Got these as well and they're great. Unfortunately I think Equator went out of business. But monitors from Kali Audio are getting positive reviews. Affordable too. (sorry i can't add a link yet as i need to bump up my post count).

I use Presonus Scepter S8s, which sound incredible but are outside your price point.

Cool, I'm looking at the scepter 6's for my setup (once my number comes up on the AF3 wait list). Have you run into any issues with response in the lower frequency ranges (I'm trying to figure out if I can get by without a sub woofer)?

Not at all. You can always add a sub if you want crazy, way left hand keyboard type lows, but the Scepters sound great in the low end all alone. The lows are round and defined, not just muddy roar.

I shared a video of UK producer 5aint when he first demoed the Scepter 8 against the Event 2030s. It’s entertaining to watch, if you’ve got a few minutes. He talks about the lows in this:

...I like my 2030s but I'm used to the Event 'curve sound', 3-way speakers are the way to go, especially if you mix and need to fix all the horrible mistakes you do in the mid-range with 2-way speakers.

Last edited:
Not at all. You can always add a sub if you want crazy, way left hand keyboard type lows, but the Scepters sound great in the low end all alone. The lows are round and defined, not just muddy roar.

I shared a video of UK producer 5aint when he first demoed the Scepter 8 against the Event 2030s. It’s entertaining to watch, if you’ve got a few minutes. He talks about the lows in this:

Right on, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom