Help me decide on studio monitors

I currently have my AX8 running into a Focusrite 2i4 into a pair of M Audio BX6 Carbon speakers. While I do like them for mixing music they aren't the greatest for the Ax 8. They have a bit of a bump at 137hz which causes most preset to have a low woof to them. I have been looking into the Focal Alpha 50 but would love to hear opinions on what everyone is using these days. Keep in mind that my budget has a ceiling of $600.

This is a brand frequently trashed however, I was surprised at how good my Behringer B2301A speakers sound.
Traded them straight up from my old Yamaha MSP3's and did not regret the swap.

Not the best out there maybe but pleased for these old ears.

If your not treating the acoustics of your room and ensuring proper positioning from walls etc, I’d just stick with what you’ve got. No point puttin really good monitors in a less than ideal acoustic space

I like my equator audio d5's. They've served me well enough for all purposes. Don't have anything to compare them to though.

Is your room treated? If it's not I would avoid anything with a speaker bigger than 4/5"

The points on room treatment are valid, but with your budget, that might not be possible. Keep your speakers away from the walls. It won't solve the problem, but might be a bit of an improvement.

My room is treated. All points of first reflection and bass traps in every corner. As I mentioned in my post I do like the M Audio for mixing but when playing the AX8 through them I get a bump at 137hz.

I have used a pair of Rokit 5's for a couple years that sound pretty good to me.

I do find that you end up getting a big discrepancy between studio monitors and playing out of PA speakers (live)... I wonder what one or two Alto TS210 speakers would sound like a low volumes.

I use Presonus Scepter S8s, which sound incredible but are outside your price point. The Eris speakers are also great sounding and have a much lower buy in point, at $499 for a pair. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MIl_3znqiZ2QIVULnACh1s7AdcEAYYBCABEgKIofD_BwE

This is a great option, and with Sweetwater, you can return them if you feel they don't measure up! They also have some financing options if that appeals to you.

BTW, I do not work for either, but do beta test for Presonus. I bought my S8s from them, if that tells you how much I liked the sound!

I have s6’s, got them used for $600 pair. Best monitors I’ve ever owned

Coaxial design gives amazing stereo imaging

I can point you in the direction of some monitors to try out: The Adam 7 and Adam 7X are great: So I have high hopes for new kid on the block: Adam Tv7 @ $499 a pair: haven't heard 'em yet, nor have I heard the new JBL 305P MkII or 308P MkII: The new JBL versions claim the bass response doesn't shift subtly at low volume: something I barely notice in the excellent LSR 305 and 308 (which I've used extensively) and attributed to Fletcher-Munson related perceptual causes: as I do with monitoring in general - when making assessments at different volume levels. Many studios have the Yamaha HS8s: I often use them, and they are excellent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom