Help me decide here

"They both suck" :mrgreen

Nah. they are both equally good (or bad). Without knowing how the guitar fits in the mix with others instruments, I personally can't say which version is better.
The playing is nice btw. It's already a good point!

I like the "wider yet in your face" tone of #2 8)
Had they both been separate posts, I would still want the preset for both :)

It's hard to tell which is "better." The second tone sounds hotter than the first, so that's going to affect people's impressions. And as gpz pointed out, it's hard to evaluate a tone outside of the context it'll be played in. Tones that sound good by themselves sometimes sound crappy in a mix, and vice versa.

If I had to guess, I'd guess there's a midrange boost in the second one.

Just to be a bit clearer here (and thanks for chiming in BTW) I am not looking for "better" or mix related opinions. Basically it's just you looking for a Marshall type tone as you would expect it and as you might want to sit around and jam on.

Just to be a bit clearer here (and thanks for chiming in BTW) I am not looking for "better" or mix related opinions. Basically it's just you looking for a Marshall type tone as you would expect it and as you might want to sit around and jam on.
I'm confused. Are you wondering which is the more "Marshally" tone? They're both very Marshally. If it's just for you jamming without accompaniment, it's really down to personal preference; which one puts a bigger grin on your face. And that could vary depending on what kind of music you're playing, or even from day to day, depending on your mood. I'd be happy noodling around with either one.

Honest opinion, both work and sound good. They sound very different. The second one has a stereo spread like the enhancer on it or something; it's much wider and 'in your face' than the second one. The gain levels are different. The first one has some different effects on it than the second one. Preference here? Either is fine.

Which is better? Which is more this or that? Self-evident truth: Whatever inspires you more is more inspiring to you. Anything beyond that is, IMHO, being too analytic about this all. It's just rock-n-roll.

Too many people spend too much time online trying to convince each other or themselves. The truth is, beyond it all, both will work. Which one makes you want to play more? That's the one to go with.

Actually, I already knew which one I liked before I posted it. One of them I don't even have the device that made the clip nor did I have anything to do with making the clip. ;) Basically just doing an ear check with the forum's help.

Aaaaaah.... you're checking to see if we like the KPA or Axe-II better? Personally, I like no. 1, but no. 2 has some room sound to it that I find mildly distracting. so...

Not really. Someone told me that clip two sounded "horrible" and I didn't think so. I just wanted to see if I was crazy or deafer than I thought.

There are quite a few Kemper tones I really love but this isn't one of them.

Late to the party but .... number 2 sounds like a cabbed marshall at a distance to me ..... number one has it's good points as an essence of marshall with some sort of non breaking up high end that adds some separation .... but there's an unpleasant metallic high pitched digital reverb plate sound behind it .... so number 2 would be my choice between the two - if any.

About that distance thing, that is one of a series of recent experiments to get a room sound using the cab block parameters and the enhancer. I was trying it for recording only. Surprised nobody else heard that annoying verb on clip one. It caught my ear on first listen.

For live I removed the enhancer and also changed the cab parameters as I don't need "in the room" type stuff. In addition, the clip has a PEQ spike at 1750 of 3 db. I lowered it to 1 as it is kinda harsh.

Last edited:
I listened. I like 2 better through my laptop speakers.
But it's a bit like comparing Gorgonzola to Emmental. Both cheeses, but definitely not the same flavor.

Listening on studio monitors. Much preferred #1. #2 is clearer, but this might be tweaked into #1 with some eq if desired. What can not be tweaked out is the compressed, wimpy attack in #2. IMHO of course 8)

Only considering amp tone here. Trying to disregard efx/reverb.

Last edited:
5 to 3 in favor of number 2 with a few "neithers". Interesting. Thanks for joining in on my little experiment.

PS, that's a stock Brit 800 in the second clip with no compression added. V12 Recto RW cab. First clip is just a snippet from theampfactory.com. Kemper profile site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom