Help me decide FX8 or AX8

Hi guys, it's about time to decide! For my needs the FX8 is the way to go, specially with the current price point.
My only concern is whether the FX8 could be shortly abandoned by Fractal and all the atentions be focused on improve modeling, and not so much the effects.
In this scenario the additional money spent on the AX8 would pay out in the future...

So what does the community say? How many "years" does the FX8 still have?

Best!

I'd say as is it is an amazing tool as is right now. It'll definitely benefit from any effect block improvements. They don't really abandon their users. Still stringing old AxeFx users along as best they can with new firmware...

If you want to use your real amp, the FX8 is much more transparent and also easier to setup and troubleshoot. That being said, you will be missing out on all the fun with the amp modeling.

I have both. The FX8 was my gateway drug to the AX8. I will keep both because I still my tube amp at times. But play mostly AX8 in my bedroom. Either way, it is a TON of FUN which ever one you decided

I have both. The FX8 was my gateway drug to the AX8. I will keep both because I still my tube amp at times. But play mostly AX8 in my bedroom. Either way, it is a TON of FUN which ever one you decided
Hi there! Any difference when using 4cable method with AX8 vs. FX8 (tone suck, treble loss, hiss)?

Hi there! Any difference when using 4cable method with AX8 vs. FX8 (tone suck, treble loss, hiss)?

You shouldn't experience "tone suck" or treble loss with either unit, but the noise floor is generally demonstrably lower on the FX8, when in 4CM situations.

I AB'd the fx8 vs AX8 in 4CM with my Friedman be-100. FX8 sounded amazing, AX8 not so much. It sounded much better using amp modeling and going into fx return.. And even better ditching the amp for a frfr speaker cab.

I AB'd the fx8 vs AX8 in 4CM with my Friedman be-100. FX8 sounded amazing, AX8 not so much. It sounded much better using amp modeling and going into fx return.. And even better ditching the amp for a frfr speaker cab.
In 4CM, the AX8 and FX8 sound pretty much identical, except that the FX8 has a lower noise floor.

If they sounded different, there was a setting that was different. Maybe you had cab modeling turned on?

I'm a newbie. Just bought a FX8 MII. Pumped! Going to use with a EVH 5150 III EL-34 Amp. Anyone use the FX8 in stereo? Use the Pitch/Detune for a little VH fun?

In 4CM, the AX8 and FX8 sound pretty much identical, except that the FX8 has a lower noise floor.

If they sounded different, there was a setting that was different. Maybe you had cab modeling turned on?

No it was definitely adding some "tone suck". It's been a while so I don't exactly recall in detail what it sounded like but it was significantly nicer with the FX8. I did spend a lot of time making sure levels, pad settings, etc were optimized. There's others on the board that noticed the same. It could be more apparent on some amps as opposed to others I would think.

No it was definitely adding some "tone suck". It's been a while so I don't exactly recall in detail what it sounded like but it was significantly nicer with the FX8. I did spend a lot of time making sure levels, pad settings, etc were optimized. There's others on the board that noticed the same. It could be more apparent on some amps as opposed to others I would think.
Weird. I've used FX8 and AX8 side by side, and they're audibly the same. What "tone suck" did you hear? That's a specific term with a specific meaning that involves loading of the pickups. With the AX8's 1 Meg input impedance, that just doesn't happen.

Hmmm, it must depend on the amp is all I can think of. I'll try to dig up the old thread. It wasnt just me as I recall.

For a multi-FX unit for use with tube amps, I don't see anything out there that compares with the FX8.

If they make future versions that are more user friendly like the Helix, I could see them sell a ton, and dominate the guitar effects market. Tube amps aren't going away anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom