Help me decide: Axe-Fx III or AX8

Fredlegentil

Hi All,

Although I just registered, I have been lurking the Fractal Forums since before the Axe FX 2 was announced ...

A little back story first!

I have been playing guitar since the mid 90s when i started as a teenager. I'm a big Metallica fan and my quest for tone is pretty much that ... late 80s, early 90s Metallica tones (you know ... RTL, MOP, ADFA, Black album ...). Both Crunch and Clean tones.

I've always been a bedroom player and pretty much always played through headphones (Sennheiser HD590 for 15 years that died last week, replaced by HD598SR).
At one point during the mid 2000s, my rig was composed of an Engl 530, Mesa Triaxis, G-Major, a 24? band rack EQ (can't remember how many but that was a lot), a Red Box DI going through a very basic mixer and my headphones.

At the time, this was pretty much my way of "tone matching" using the EQ. That worked great but I then moved to NYC and had to let my gear go. That's when i switched to a Pod XT.

I now use a Pod HD500X that I'm not in love with mainly because of the "no IR loader" feature and just being Line 6 in general. Not that other people can't get amazing tones out of any type of gear, for me, it doesn't click anymore and I'm ready to move on.

I'm not a professional musician or play in a band. This is my hobby and I would like to enjoy it a bit more again.

I'm a firm believer that the bulk of what we are seeking in terms of tone comes from the IR. I mean think about it ... how many albums were recorded with pretty much the same gear but sound different? It's mostly because of the engineers ears. But anyhow.

I'm at a point in my life where I can technically afford the Axe FX III ($2,900 shipped with extended warranty) but that is still a lot of dough for my limited use.

And that is why I'm also looking at the AX8 for a much more affordable $1,300 shipped with extended warranty.

Now aside from being the latest and greatest, the Axe FX III also includes a headphone jack and tone matching capabilities. To achieve that, the AX8 requires an audio interface / mixer and software to create the tone match which could add easily $200 or so. So in essence the AX8 for my case would be about $1,500.

Again, my goal is not to find my personal tone, it is to emulate the tones of my favorite artists.

I'm a firm believer that Fractal Audio is the best at what they do and the huge community around the products certainly helps. I know about the Helix, the Headrush, the Boss GT 1000, the Atomic Amplifire but while they look like great products, all my research brings me back to Fractal. I tried VSTs and while it was fun for a bit, I prefer the hardware route.

I know I want Fractal but I'm torn between the III and the AX8. I know some of you would recommended the middle route and go with the II XL+ but I believe that if I was to go the rack route I might as well jump on board the III bandwagon.

My worries is that I would have to find workarounds with the AX8 to use it the way I want (Headphones / Tone match) but at the same time, the III is a lot of money that I would rather keep in my pocket.

I've read countless of threads and I guess I just wan't to have a bit more personalized feedback based on what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks for reading!

Go with the III... As I as reading your post I was going to recommend the II, but the III gets everything you need and is the basis for the foreseeable future.

I second the III. It will serve you for many years. I have both and they are both awesome but if I was buying one, I would get the III.

If you want the latest and greatest or feel you might be missing, the III for is for you. It is a F***ing monster for sure.
And keep in mind it is still a young device and will continue to get better with more features and so on.

As for the AX8 as far as updates probably at the end of the rope, not a bad thing! Tested and fully baked. Ha ha
Sounds great, allot easier on the pocket, your also getting a EXTREMELY versatile board for control.

I have both units and still use the AX8, at this point and time the AX8 is still my gigging device.
You can run and do allot more with the III, (no secret there), some have felt a little limited by the AX8 (but I'm not one of them).

If you could swing a III, personally I would consider that, but the AX8 still kicks ass

John

III

Awesome tool for recording, reamping etc, near limitless patch creation, years of future updates etc

Ax8 only really makes sense if you need on stage portability or budget is an issue. Neither of which seem to be a concern for your needs, so go with the III, imo

Just a quick follow-up question, for confirmation. You are looking for a device to play at home, is that right? Are you playing along with recordings of songs/bands you like to emulate?

I'm to bust to read your post lol, but get the III PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the best dang unit money can buy, and you will NEVER regret it:D

Remember that the III also is a 8 I/O soundcard that can most likely replace your existing one. After upgrading from my good old II, the III is now the center of my home recording setup. Works perfectly with my DAW, and recording/reamping is a lot simpler for me now.
Besides the convenience of having the unit on the table, right at your fingertips, there are a lot of new features like "channels" and loads of new effects.
My body bought an AX8 not too long ago and regrets that he didn't wait for the III. He is also mainly a bedroom player.
It comes with a hefty price tag, but if you can afford it you will never look back :)

Reactions: MSS
I'm a bedroom player as well and at a point in life where I can afford things that make me happy. I don't need a III just like I didn't need the II. But as I thought about it I kept coming back to how happy it makes me to plug in and jam it and mess with the presets and effects. I also realized how much I enjoy watching these forums, watching the videos (Leon Todd for example) and seeing the new stuff that the III allows with so much more to come. So while I'll never leave the "bedroom" nor be a great player like lots of the guys on here - it is just fun. Especially stuff like dual amp presets - I love setting up a different amp on each side and sitting in the middle of it. You can't do some of the coolest things on the AX8. I also find in middle age that my purchase regrets have gone from "buying it when maybe I shouldn't have" in younger years to "not buying enough of it to save a few bucks" now. And with all the excitement here and on youtube with the III, if I want to be a part of it - I needed to be in the club. I don't have any other hobbies so..... That was my justification anyway for what it's worth! :)

The III is superior without a doubt. You cannot go wrong with either choice. If form factor and cost are your top two priorities then the AX8 may be the best fit for you. If not, get the best, and the king of the hill at this time that is the III.

This is my hobby and I would like to enjoy it a bit more again.

That was my position when I got my Axe-Fx II. And I am now playing more often than I ever was previously.

I would recommend the III if you can afford it. Playing at home you don't have to worry about portability, it's got more power, and the amps are ever so slightly better. Plus a built in headphone jack.

I see people recommend the II and II XL a lot, and they're great units from what i've seen (hell, I was pretty happy with the Ultra I tried), but ultimately - if budget isn't an issue - you want to be on the latest hardware and upgrade path I would imagine.

Hi All,

Although I just registered, I have been lurking the Fractal Forums since before the Axe FX 2 was announced ...

A little back story first!

I have been playing guitar since the mid 90s when i started as a teenager. I'm a big Metallica fan and my quest for tone is pretty much that ... late 80s, early 90s Metallica tones (you know ... RTL, MOP, ADFA, Black album ...). Both Crunch and Clean tones.

I've always been a bedroom player and pretty much always played through headphones (Sennheiser HD590 for 15 years that died last week, replaced by HD598SR).
At one point during the mid 2000s, my rig was composed of an Engl 530, Mesa Triaxis, G-Major, a 24? band rack EQ (can't remember how many but that was a lot), a Red Box DI going through a very basic mixer and my headphones.

At the time, this was pretty much my way of "tone matching" using the EQ. That worked great but I then moved to NYC and had to let my gear go. That's when i switched to a Pod XT.

I now use a Pod HD500X that I'm not in love with mainly because of the "no IR loader" feature and just being Line 6 in general. Not that other people can't get amazing tones out of any type of gear, for me, it doesn't click anymore and I'm ready to move on.

I'm not a professional musician or play in a band. This is my hobby and I would like to enjoy it a bit more again.

I'm a firm believer that the bulk of what we are seeking in terms of tone comes from the IR. I mean think about it ... how many albums were recorded with pretty much the same gear but sound different? It's mostly because of the engineers ears. But anyhow.

I'm at a point in my life where I can technically afford the Axe FX III ($2,900 shipped with extended warranty) but that is still a lot of dough for my limited use.

And that is why I'm also looking at the AX8 for a much more affordable $1,300 shipped with extended warranty.

Now aside from being the latest and greatest, the Axe FX III also includes a headphone jack and tone matching capabilities. To achieve that, the AX8 requires an audio interface / mixer and software to create the tone match which could add easily $200 or so. So in essence the AX8 for my case would be about $1,500.

Again, my goal is not to find my personal tone, it is to emulate the tones of my favorite artists.

I'm a firm believer that Fractal Audio is the best at what they do and the huge community around the products certainly helps. I know about the Helix, the Headrush, the Boss GT 1000, the Atomic Amplifire but while they look like great products, all my research brings me back to Fractal. I tried VSTs and while it was fun for a bit, I prefer the hardware route.

I know I want Fractal but I'm torn between the III and the AX8. I know some of you would recommended the middle route and go with the II XL+ but I believe that if I was to go the rack route I might as well jump on board the III bandwagon.

My worries is that I would have to find workarounds with the AX8 to use it the way I want (Headphones / Tone match) but at the same time, the III is a lot of money that I would rather keep in my pocket.

I've read countless of threads and I guess I just wan't to have a bit more personalized feedback based on what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks for reading!
You and I are the same person from your description LOL!

My vote is (money aside) all out AXE III. I bought the AX8 loved it and ultimately got the III and haven't regretted that decision one bit. Yes the AX8 is AWESOME, I could have stopped right there. The III is cutting edge FAS you get it allllllll and years of upgrades are around the corner as FW gets more and more robust.

Yes it's more expensive and yes you have extra costs of a controller etc. I would still do it again. I'm waiting on the new FC series and on waiting list for that. At that point I could almost had bought 3 AX8.... still.....my vote is go for the awesome sauce you won't regret it!

Regardless of which you go with happiness is around the corner.

Wow, thanks to all of you guys for the input! I'm wondering if the poll would have been somewhat different if I had posted in the AX8 forum lol

I guess I will splurge and be part of the cool kid gang lol, I know the Axe III ticks ALL the boxes and (much) more ... still painful on the wallet but you only live once ... I'm also confident that down the road, the unit should retain its value much like anything Fractal produces which is awesome ...

If any of you like woodworking ... Fractal is like Festool for woodworkers ... top of the line, expensive but awesome tools that retain their value thanks to a great company and a group of like minded non toxic people.

Also, a bit unrelated but for those of you who have Visa Signature cards, if you make the purchase with it, it will add an additional year of warranty coverage so in essence, you get 2 years without selecting the 3 year coverage. I just realized that myself:

When you use your covered Visa Signature® card for your eligible purchases Extended Warranty Protection will double the term of your eligible U.S. manufacturer’s warranty up to 1 additional year on eligible warranties of 3 years or less; for warranties of less than 1 year, the term is doubled; for warranties of one year or more an additional year of coverage is provided

Just a quick follow-up question, for confirmation. You are looking for a device to play at home, is that right? Are you playing along with recordings of songs/bands you like to emulate?

Yes, play at home, by my lonesome, along playback tracks of my favorite songs

Hey,

I definitely share your dilemma as far as choosing the modelling platform and the options they offer. Since you have decided to go with the FAS (understandably so), and given how new the Mk III is, I think there hasn't been better time to join the club and enjoy the latest revision, for the long run. Given its claimed processing power and extensive routing options, you should have lots of mileage before anything newer is announced. It is also very likely that your (at the moment) unsophisticated/modest use will expand, so it would be prudent to account for that.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom