Help me deal with this GAS problem: MK V:25

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I've been watching the Timmons Demo and the Petrucci Proto Demo too much so I'm kinda GASing for a Mesa Mark V:25.

Do we basically have models of the 25's modes since they are kind of from other Meaa amps?

Clean: USA Pre Clean (?)
Fat: Texas Star Clean (?)
Crunch: (?)

JP IIC+: USA IIC+ (duh)
MKIV: USA....something (?)
Xtreme: (?)

Additionally, the way the mid control is setup on the amp, with a boost past noon, seems pretty cool. Do any of the models do that?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. A forum search netted a few threads but I didn't see the answers to these.

Keep in mind, and this took me a while to finally grasp. What you hear on youtube is the amp recorded with a mic. Meaning the Axe Fx will most likely be able to nail the tone if the amp model is close enough and you use the right IR. If you were to buy a Mk V right now, it might not sound anything like the videos when playing in your own room.

In simple terms, remember that what you are loving right now is a recorded/miced tone, which is where the Axe happens to excel.

USA Clean = Mark IV Rhythm 1 channel (clean)
USA Rhythm = Mark IV Rhythm 2 channel (mid-gain)
USA Lead = Mark IV Lead channel (high gain)
The Extreme mode of the Mark V is based on the Mark IV Lead channel with the presence knob pushed in for a more modern and aggressive sound. Presence shift is modeled in the USA Lead modes so turn it off for that sound.
USA Sub Blues = Mesa Subway Blues amp
TX Star Clean = Mesa Lonestar clean channel
TX Star Lead = Mesa Lonestar lead channel

The Mark V:25 a cool little amp for sure, but the Axe II can nail all those same tones and many many more. My Mark IV has been collecting dust since I got my XL and CLR cab.

Keep in mind, and this took me a while to finally grasp. What you hear on youtube is the amp recorded with a mic. Meaning the Axe Fx will most likely be able to nail the tone if the amp model is close enough and you use the right IR. If you were to buy a Mk V right now, it might not sound anything like the videos when playing in your own room.

In simple terms, remember that what you are loving right now is a recorded/miced tone, which is where the Axe happens to excel.

Yes, very true. The Axe is an amazing piece of gear. Still...this GAS is a bitch. And I've not heard much (any) negative comments about the V:25. I suspect a NAD will be coming soon. Lol.

You must realize.... GAS is an illness - one day you will overcome it ( hopefully before you spend all your hard earned dough)

The only GAS I've had are for the EHX keyboard emulation pedals (and that's only because I don't have a keyboard or MIDI controller for software). Thanks to M@ and others, we already know it's possible to dial in decent organ tones.

I do still GAS for a nice grab and go combo, once in a while.

I think the axe will do everything you need it to and then some. Best piece of gear I have ever owned and I have had some killer amps.

I was more so just trying to see if the modes of the 25 had semi direct correlations in the Axe.

the preamp modes have direct correlations, but not the poweramps. i've never A/B'd my 5:25s against a full size mark V, (nor my Studio 22+ against a IIc+), but my understanding is that the full size models have the ability to produce more bass at higher master volume settings. i can't help notice hat no one is clamoring for Cliff to model the EL84 power amps, so i doubt there's too much special magic there.

If you like that vibe, maybe consider getting a Boogie cab and a Matrix amp.
when time and if possible to create this can be solved by having an option to do anti-mic modelling ;)
like whats now there to put a mic in the mix, but have option to take the effect of mic and mic position out.

So why don't you just buy the Mesa .. you know you want to?
I was considering buying one of these at my visit to Gearfest at Sweetwater where Mesa had a booth and I coulda grabbed the show demo model at a discount, but When I plugged in (for the first time ever on a real Mark),my immediate reaction was ....meh... I got all this already...perhaps I didn't have proper opportunity of tweak age in the not -optimal NAMM-type atmosphere , but my GAS for a real Mesa was quelled. we are truly spoiled by FAS goodness.

GAS is an evil symptom. Just remember that those guys you mentioned are incredible players and they always sound good no matter what. I've owned almost half a dozen Mark series amp throughout my life and I've used them both live and in studio etc. and I'm definitely a Mesa guy more than anything else.. except a Fractal guy! :D Still even as a Mesa guy I would choose a Fender clean over a Mesa clean any day and also I'd choose Marshall crunch over a Mesa crunch as well. For high gain nothing beats Mesa if you ask me. Still you can't get the best of all worlds with one tube amp.

I think you would genuinely enjoy a real Mesa cab and driving it with a Mesa tube power amp instead of getting a Mark 25.

EDIT: That being said many people really love the Mark I mode on the Mark V which I think might be a bit harder to get at the moment. Could not be hard but I remember loving that in real life.

Last edited:
Longtime Mesa guy myself (I have a Mark IV and F-50 that have sat mostly unused for years). The JP-2C is the only Mesa to come out in a while that has sort of given me GAS since getting the Axe, but now the new C++ Axe model has really quelled that quite a bit.

OP, IIRC you said you had recto cabs and a Matrix, and now have the V-25. If you can, you might try running the Axe into the Mark's FX-loop (effectively using it as a power amp only), and compare the tones to the preamp on the Mark. If you can get them close enough (which I strongly suspect), and want to save some cash, you might consider looking for a Mesa 20/20. It's a 1U rack power amp that uses EL-84 tubes (same as the V-25), so it would sound very similar, and likely much cheaper.

Or keep the V-25, and use it as a power amp and/or backup (or even primary) amp for playing live. That's how I used my Mesas (I prefer 6L6 to EL-84 power amps). It never hurts to have more options, and if you like it (and can afford it), there's no reason to feel you have to rationalize keeping it.

Having a real tube amp (Specially a mesa) is always feels like a blessing. Nowadays I only use my ax8 or axe2 though and they collect dust. all my GAS is towards new guitars right now :D

Hi,
I actually bought a Mesa Mark V:25 from Humbucker Music after watching that Petrucci video about 20 times. I must tell you that I am a big Petrucci fan, and I normally like Mesa Boogie products (I owned a triaxis for many years), but this thing was a piece of crap!!! When they made that video they must have processed the hell out of the signal to get it to sound like that. After two days of playing through it, it bothered me so much that I had a friend of mine over to evaluate it with me. We A-Bd it with a Egnater Rebel 30, and the Rebel 30 blew it away. The distortion channel on the Mark V:25 sounded like a bad fuzz pedal. The worst part was when I sent it back, I had to pay Humbucker Music a $150.00 restocking fee! I still have a knot in my stomach from the whole incident. If you already own a AxeFX, you have everything you will ever need. Don't waste your time with this piece of garbage. I don't know why Petrucci is even endorsing that thing!

Back
Top Bottom