Help me complete my new Axe-Fx III Rig

Fordman65

Just ordered the new Axe3. Not only am I completely new to Fractal, but I'm also brand new to modeling in general. I'm also having delivered a Matrix 1000fx. What else would you get to complete my new rig? I'm looking solely for home use. No gigging at all. I do want to take advantage of all the amp models, though since I've never used IR's, I am not clear on the best path forward.

FRFR? If yes, which one? Since I will have the matrix, are passive cabs just as good as self powered? Wedge or box? For those that went the FRFR route, did that completely negate the need for a guitar cab?

Studio Monitors? If yes, which ones?

I currently own a V30 loaded 4x12. What about the Matrix Neolight NL212? Great alternative to FRFR, but provides "real" cab feel?

Real recommendations are greatly appreciated. New Axe should be arriving next week.

Thanks.

If you're just using at home, get the best studio monitors you can afford.
Audition them with music you know intimately, and buy the ones that you think are the most accurate.
Welcome!.. You are going to be amazed at the guitar sounds you have just bought access to!
Thanks
Pauly

I have a Yamaha DXR12 but that's a bit overkill for home only. I agree that you should get a good quality pair of powered studio monitors.

IMHO, since it’s for home use and you don’t have to lug the stuff around, you might as well go whole hog and go for a w\d\w set up....nothing sounds quite the same! You send a dry amp signal through the matrix and out to your 4x12 for the center dry channel, and then all you need is a quality pair of powered frfr speakers for your left and right wet channels. This kind of set up sounds HUGE, and is loads of fun to play through!

I have a gt1000fx myself going through a 4x12, along with a pair of clrs for the frfr, and I can’t imagine playing through anything else, really.

I like FRFR as you can use IRs and have cab sounds that match the amp models that you choose and the size and weight, or portability is better than real cabs and a power amp - I prefer FRFR to a power amp and cab.
The Atomic Amps CLR monitors are great for both bedroom volume and stage use.

I like the CLRs as much now as when I wrote this review
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/atomic-clr-sonic-bliss-in-depth-review.71961/

Just ordered the new Axe3. Not only am I completely new to Fractal, but I'm also brand new to modeling in general. I'm also having delivered a Matrix 1000fx. What else would you get to complete my new rig? I'm looking solely for home use. No gigging at all. I do want to take advantage of all the amp models, though since I've never used IR's, I am not clear on the best path forward.

FRFR? If yes, which one? Since I will have the matrix, are passive cabs just as good as self powered? Wedge or box? For those that went the FRFR route, did that completely negate the need for a guitar cab?

I currently own a V30 loaded 4x12. What about the Matrix Neolight NL212? Great alternative to FRFR, but provides "real" cab feel?

Real recommendations are greatly appreciated. New Axe should be arriving next week.

Thanks.

Oppinions are very subjective, but I would cancel the matrix and just get two friedmans if you can afford them. Yamaha DSR112 are nice and about the same price as the Friedmans at $900 for each. This keeps you from having to buy a power amp.Yamaha DXR10 for about $530. You can save even more on Ebay buying these. Stereo make a big difference and you need two. Studio monitors works well for home use but won't cut it live. Another direction also is a QSC power amp and passive cabs. I have 2-Vox with Flat Celestions with two 12s in each cab. I have tried all kind of stuff and my Adam studio monitors sound better than anything I have tried. Next, I am doing away with the QSC and the Vox and go with the Yamaha DSR112. They has 2 inch titanium tweeters. Your tone is clear with that nice tweeter. With my Vox Cabs I need to do a Global eq to match my Adams and I will be happy for now. My next purchase will be the FC12 first before I buy the Yamahas. The Yamahas are designed for PA and works well for medium size gigs, so I just want double function cabs. I can run direct and use the Yahamas for the mains for really quick gigs. I am sure others have their favorite.

Running the matrix into stereo guitar cabs can be a blast ... literally.

And, having the option to run FRFR via CLR or Xitones is massive as well.

Do what you want. The only limits are your imagination. :)

I’ve been using 1 x Yamaha Dxr110 for several years now and love it. If Fractal would stop making awesome gear long enough, I’d like to get another one to run stereo. I was worried that the 10” speaker wouldn’t reproduce the low end but, I actually have to engage the bass cut switch on it. Haven’t found myself thinking I’d be better off with 12” version.

I'm using a Line 6 Powercab + and love the thing! Nice light weight for gigging and it has plenty of bottom and doesn't fart out. I use mine in FRFR mode. I run out 1 into the PC and out 2 into FOH.

IMHO, since it’s for home use and you don’t have to lug the stuff around, you might as well go whole hog and go for a w\d\w set up....nothing sounds quite the same! You send a dry amp signal through the matrix and out to your 4x12 for the center dry channel, and then all you need is a quality pair of powered frfr speakers for your left and right wet channels. This kind of set up sounds HUGE, and is loads of fun to play through!

I have a gt1000fx myself going through a 4x12, along with a pair of clrs for the frfr, and I can’t imagine playing through anything else, really.

Randy - Can you provide a screenshot of the layout you created to do this? I currently have a WDW rig running a Friedman BE100/Matrix 1000, but am on the waitlist for the III (3/10). I am considering all of the possibilities.....

Do you use an amp block with no IR direct to the Matrix?
Can you mix any of your dry signal in with the wet cabs?
Does the AxeFx act in any way as a mixer? I currently use a Mark L DSLM for this function.

Thanks.

The learning curve is much less steep, if at first you just stock to what you've got: the 4x12 V30 + Matrix. This avoids the daunting task of selecting and tweaking IRs.

Tip: always run the control on the Matrix at 2 o'clock, because this sounds best for some reason. Many owners can attest to this.​

When you're comfortable enough with amp models, and the III as a whole, only then consider (moving to) a FRFR-system.

I know some members here like Friedman ASM monitors, but the one I tested sounded awful.

Note that some FRFR monitors can also function as your home studio monitors, especially CLRs because they are very flat.

Randy - Can you provide a screenshot of the layout you created to do this? I currently have a WDW rig running a Friedman BE100/Matrix 1000, but am on the waitlist for the III (3/10). I am considering all of the possibilities.....

Do you use an amp block with no IR direct to the Matrix?
Can you mix any of your dry signal in with the wet cabs?
Does the AxeFx act in any way as a mixer? I currently use a Mark L DSLM for this function.

Hey Doc, I posted a screenshot for this in the thread you started.

Thanks for all the replies. Quite a number of different opinions. I'm going to stick with the matrix and am thinking I will venture into the IR world a bit later. One of my concerns and reasons for late adoption into fractal is the possibility of option paralysis. I'm primarily a plug and play guy right now. Seems a bit overwhelming, but that could just be my unfamiliarity with this equipment in general.

When I first got my AxeFx I tried the FRFR thing and realized, to me, it wasn't anything special nor was I going to get anything I couldn't dial up through my usual poweramp and cab setup. The best part was going solid state poweramp! The Matrix really is a great punchy little poweramp. Make sure you enable amp sims, and although most will tell you to disable cab sims, enable it and try some IR's you might be surprised. I run my "real" cabs (pair of 212's in stereo) with sims and it sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom