Help me choose some pickups

JB is not for everyone. It has quite a bit more highs than DiMarzios I've used, which can sound brittle. It's also pretty hot as far as output, which also might not be to everyone's liking. Worth a try, it's not a bad pickup, but it's not a silver bullet. FWIW mine has been sitting in a drawer for a long time. I'd sell it, but I dremeled off the long screws so that it fits in the guitar I was using it in, so I'm unlikely to get a good price for it.

A couple of Loller Imperial fans here but I hated them. They were completely lifeless and sterile in my Collings CL. I couldn't get them out fast enough. I put in a set of Motor City Hotheads as that was what Mark Day was posting with at the time. I love them

A couple of Loller Imperial fans here but I hated them. They were completely lifeless and sterile in my Collings CL. I couldn't get them out fast enough. I put in a set of Motor City Hotheads as that was what Mark Day was posting with at the time. I love them
Ive never heard of any of those pickups. Incredible variety.....Im surprised I don't see any q-tuner or lace?

Yeah man, the HotHeads are fabulous! I have em in two guitars and soon to be three. I got started on em from Mark’s videos as well.

Maybe try a Bare Knuckles in the bridge and see how you feel. I had a guitar with a Nailbomb in the bridge. Their pickups are really clear, so they would work great for drop tuned guitars. The Lollar Imperial is a great classic humbucker, but it’s on the warmer side, so it probably wouldn’t suit your needs.

One thing I do to all of my bridge pickups is raise the pole pieces about a full turn to get a little extra bite out of them. Pole piece adjustments make a HUGE difference and can make dull guitars come to life.

For an inexpensive all around humbucker, the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro is fantastic. I’ve got guitars with Lollars, Duncan Custom Shop, Arcane Inc, etc., and the Alnico II Pro ends up being used the most. It’s a moderate output pickup that takes gain really well and doesn’t hit the front end of the amp too hard.

Yeah man, the HotHeads are fabulous! I have em in two guitars and soon to be three. I got started on em from Mark’s videos as well.
Funny, Mark day had influenced my choices a few times as well. Way back he had the SD Blackouts and then the Suhr Doug Aldridge pups (which were awesome) and not to mention he was the first youtube vid i came across talking about the Axe Fx Ultra

Funny, Mark day had influenced my choices a few times as well. Way back he had the SD Blackouts and then the Suhr Doug Aldridge pups (which were awesome) and not to mention he was the first youtube vid i came across talking about the Axe Fx Ultra
Ha ha yep, me thinks Mark has a way of making everything sound good. ;)

For an inexpensive all around humbucker, the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro is fantastic
I totally agree.
I even compared them to SD's '78.
Same Al2 magnet, a bit less DC resistance.
I have two identical Kramer Stagemasters.
I compared clips until I didn't know to which one I was listeng.
I had a pickup custom made with the same specs and supposedly shatter wounds and so...
Couldn't here the difference
All sounded equally great.
So none of that magnets made by goblins and wire wound by faries and elves stuff.
Same magnet, equal DC ==> same sound.
Just look for the ones that are better priced.
There's no easier way to turn copper into gold than making pickups.

That being said, I still think the '59s are pretty sweet and a little warmer than the Al II Pro's.

Last edited:

I have Aldrich's in a couple of things and I love them too.

Last edited:
Kinda considering the Suhr Doug Aldrich set now. ebay roughly $350 for the set in gold. Would look great on my Epi LP Pro. I'd love BKP but just can't justify the cost

Like I mentioned above, the Aldriches would be a close second for me after the HotHeads. The Aldriches are just a bit more “hairy around the edges”, where the HotHeads are a tad tighter. Both excellent though.

$350 for a set is so ridiculous. I mean Ive spent slightly silly amounts on pickups, once, just for the hell of it because everyone and their mother SWORE that if you want a real metal tone, then your only [passive] choice is the Lundgren M at $200..

Guess what....sounds the same as an EMG 81

I'm dying to try the WCR (JWP)Godwood's as the hype around them is unreal. But really expensive and I'm happy with all my pickups right now.

I have BKP Nailbombs in a PRS Cu22 tuned in C# and they transformed the guitar. The PRS 7-string I got 2nd hand came with BKP pickups but I haven't pulled them to find out which ones but they are have great definition without being muddy. Thinking of getting some Rebel Yell's for my Eb PRS single cut to try.

I'll second the recommendation to try GFS pickups. I've tried several different types and had really good results.

I am also really liking the Thornbucker and Thornbucker+ in my Suhr.

also curious about the SD nazgul/sentient set. Anyone have experience with these?
Yes, I've used them and I'm a huge fan. Perfect combination of a tight, high output bridge and more traditional PAF neck. One of my favourite sets of pickups.

Back
Top Bottom