Help me choose some pickups

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Getting a bit of cabin fever like most these days and been thinking about doing another pickup swap in my Epi LP custom. Mahogany. Currently I have a set of Dimarzio Transitions which are pretty good but I'm looking for something new and different.

This guitar is primarily used for drop tunings when i want to do heavier riffing. Alice in Chains or Alterbridge type to give you an idea of when im using it.

Looking to steer away from Dimarzio this time around. Maybe JB/59 Seymour duncan i know is a classic set for this type guitar

or

maybe some bare knuckle pickups??? entertaining all suggestions please!

I just got some Mojotone Black Magic pickups for the same purpose. Downtuning and super heavy riffing. Working on a demo video right now. They sound pretty mean but the cleans are a lot sweeter than the ceramic JBs I have in 3 of my guitars. The Black Magics have both alnico and ceramic magnets which is a great combo, IMO.

I'm looking at Bare Knuckle Mules for one of my hollowbody guitars. They seem to have a good range of pickups with different levels of output (i.e., Abraxas, VHII, Nailbomb). They are not cheap but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I have a set of Lollar Imperials in my Fano GF6 (think 335) and they sound great.

BKP have a good range for the modern stuff
Silo nailbomb warpig etc
the only mojo i have played was the tomahawks in the PRS and they were really good as.well
then of course you have the motor city pickups Hot Head and Afwayu

SD '59s
I recently bought a Heritage H 150 and it came with these pups.
For me, they're just perfect.

Motor City Hot Heads would be my first choice, but since they take so long to get, the Suhr Aldriches would be a very close second.

Try a set of Bare Knuckle pickups. I think you will be very impressed.
I once had a BFR JP model. roughly 2009 and put the rebel yells in that guitar. back then i had a guitar ttech do it for me and he was very skeptical about the pickups until he heard it in the guitar. Amazing. I have been thinking about BKP. Might even go rebel yells again or looking at the warpigs possibly...

I'm planning to go Bare Knuckle when I convert my Charvel to a P-S-S setup in a couple months. I've never used them, but I've been hearing many good things, so I guess I'll throw a vote in for them. Plus you can get so many cool cover and pole screw options :)

I also really liked the Seymour Duncan Pegasus/Sentient Combo when I had that in my Kramer Drop D rig. Overall they were a good solid pickup combo, but the real treat for me was I had a series parallel switch on them, and they were the best I've had for parallel wiring, and I imagine they'd be pretty good split too if you're doing any wiring like that.

I have a set of Bare Knuckle Black Dogs in an extended scale Ibanez tuned to drop B and they sound great!

I typically prefer low output and clarity especially for the AxeFx. These are some humbucker pickups I enjoy using in LPs.

Seymour Duncan Joe Bonamassa
Saturday Night Specials
Whole Lotta Humbuckers
Gibson Custom Buckers
Alnico 3 57 Classic Plus & Classic
Burstbucker #1
DiMarzio EJs

If I were to live in the US I would SO order me a shitload of guitar fetish stuff. It's a cheap and easy way, especially with their quick plug system, to try out different kinds of pickups to hear what the clones sound like. Unfortunately I don't live in the US in this regard, so high international shipping costs and the highway robbers called customs agency make that damn nigh impossible. I swear, Guitar Fetish should open up an EU branch and I would order myself into poverty.

If you don't need hot humbuckers and want the best classic PAF tone then these.
Lollar Imperials
Never tried them with anything other than standard E though.
I like them because they don't overpower already hi-gain amps and retain amazing clarity
even when really pushed thru a molten Bogner or Boogie.

are you kidding me? if you play metal and you want some pickups that youll lose your mind over, get the Fluence [idk what you play or how you play, but if you said,id tell you which one youd like or be more suitded to your tastes] BUT if you don't want actives, and you play metal, than get yourself a Lundgren M set, or Lace Alumitones Deathbucker/hum set.....now you said SD JB classic set, so id have to say Stef Carpenter Fluence off the bat

I got 3 sets of bkp now and they are all awesome. (Mule in hollowbody, abraxas in my #1 and riff Raff in my single cut)

So.... +17 for bare knuckle

Well, i was thinking about the rebel yells BKP's but after doing a conversion from pounds to CAD i'm looking at $500 for the set which is what i paid for this guitar!! I may go with the SD JB/59 combo

Back
Top Bottom