Help me choose some picjups for my mexican strat

frankiev

Experienced
I picked up a nice mexican strat that plays great and sound good acoustically . I could use some recommendations for pickups as I dont have a clue what to get
Thanks

Texas Specials for strat sounds. Bkp didn't impress me when I used them on my tele. Stock pickups were a lot better.

What sound are you looking for? More of a 50's tone? 60's? Moderate output? High? What kind of Strat tones really move you?

That said, I have a set of WCRs in my main Strat that I absolutely adore. Very well-balanced set.

I also have a set of Klein Epic 55 pups in another Strat I own. I like them too. Not as warm and rich as the WCRs, but nice scooped mid sound.....very glassy cleans...a bit of an Eric Johnson sound.

Klein offers some excellent tone clips to help guide you to the sound you're looking for: Klein Pickups - Vintage Electric Guitar Pickups-

I put a set of Lace Sensor pickups in my mexican strat.

Turned it into a great tone producer.

Love that guitar.........Its cheap but it play's and sounds great.

Specially through the AXFX. .:encouragement:

Lots of great suggestions .. My thanks to everyone . Im actually not sure what sound Id like probably just a little hotter than standard traditional strat sound

Dimarzio area's are great in middle and neck with a virtual solo matching nicely in the bridge! Warm, vintage but able to nail searing solo work!

When looking at Strat pups, in general, they are more mid scooped and get progressively mid peaked as you go from 50's -> modern.

With the "50's" pups being the most scooped and the more modern actually having a mid peak.

I just put a set of Kinman Woodstocks in a Strat. These are vintage 60's sounding to my ears. That could be a little thin sounding for some folks when played in solo. But it sits in a mix pretty good.

Some people swear by the "50's" tone because they love that big Fender low end sound. I like a more balanced tone though and the 60's era still has some twang but is not as boomy.

I've been messing with my strat pickups recently, and have been recording some snippets to compare. I'm not done yet, but this is what I have so far:

This is with my 1975 strat. The amp sim is the Plexi 100. The pickups are all Dimarzio. In order they are Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 1 DP403, Fast Track 1 DP181, Chopper DP184, and Pro Track DP188. They don't make the DP403 any more, so if you want the specs to compare to the new Heavy Blues 2, here they are DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues DP 403

I've been eyeing up the Injector, and will most likely order one up very soon. I'll also put the original pickups back in as a comparison. I'll update this after I've done that. I hope this helps.

FWIW - I play a lot of Classic to Modern Rock, and I'm using the Chopper at the moment.

I found a set of Fender vintage noiseless pickups complete with pots for 5$ at the local flea market . Anyone familiar with these ? are they worth a try ?

Heard lots of good things about the kinmans

If you want to go really, really vintage sounding, look for something with Alnico 3 magnets instead of Alnico 5. Very early Strats were A3 (Tele's too)
Alnico 3 will be warmer. More "Piano" and less high end brightness. Mellower, a bit more mid fullness, and less quacky than Alnico 5.

Back
Top Bottom