Help me choose an expression pedal

Exeter

Hey there fellow Fractalites. I've been looking at expression pedals for a good while now and am having a hard time deciding what to get. An EV would be my first choice but alas those are out of stock. A few things I'm looking for:

1. A wah like feel and sweep
2. Full size, I tried a mini pedal and did not gel with it at all
3. Price isn't necessarily a barrier but I don't need something boutique if those exist in the expression pedal world
4. Amazon would be my ideal retailer since their return policy is super easy

Any info would be greatly appreciated! The III has been a game changer for me.

I like the Mission spring pedal for wah. It feels more like my analog wah. However, if you want an EV pedal, there are two for sale on the San Antonio Craigslist.

I use a Source Audio Dual Expression and I'm fine with it. $50 used in mint shape everywhere, all day. Why spend more. I bought a 2nd for pitch or volume when I finally mount my FC12 and EXPs to a board.

Mission SP-1
You gain another switch. I plug in balanced cables from OUT 1 to Ext. 1 and OUT2 to Switch1. I set the switch to be WAH bypass. I use the expression for pitch, wah, rotary rate, and volume. If I had a second pedal, I'd still use it this way. I'd use another pedal for MASTER delay parameters like time, mix, and feedback. I wish those were more flexible in the Axe III.

I initially got the Mission EP-1 with spring, but ended up selling it and getting one without a spring. Old dog, new trick, I guess, with the spring. I set my auto-engage to 95% and park it at the toe to shut it off, just like a regular wah pedal.

Mission or personally I’m very happy with my two EV-1s
I have a pair of EV-2 pedals for expression stuff and a dedicated volume control. Great pedals. The Mission EP-1 is my dedicated wah controller and nails the feel/sweep, as it is built in a Dunlop wah housing. Can't get much mure authentic than that.... :)

Swithing FX on and off, alternating between two effects......why not??? (guess a non spring loaded ep1 would be fine too instead of sp1)
Auto engage works fine to turn effects on/off without need of a switch. Unless it's an effect unrelated to the one the expression pedal is tied to?

I can see it for use as some general purpose switch, but it means that you have to effect whatever the pedal is controlling in order to press the switch. For me, I would rather have a dedicated switch.

Anyway, I was just curious as I've never had a need for the toe switch - I have 4 EP-1 expression pedals (2 with spring, 2 without).

Auto engage works fine to turn effects on/off without need of a switch. Unless it's an effect unrelated to the one the expression pedal is tied to?

I can see it for use as some general purpose switch, but it means that you have to effect whatever the pedal is controlling in order to press the switch. For me, I would rather have a dedicated switch.

Anyway, I was just curious as I've never had a need for the toe switch - I have 4 EP-1 expression pedals (2 with spring, 2 without).

The one application that comes to mind for an SP-1 is combining a global volume pedal with a solo boost in one device.

Back in the day, before my Axe days, I built a buffered volume pedal in a dead Crybaby housing, with a boost engaged by the toe switch, and with a knob and switch sprouting out the side. The knob set the amount of boost and the switch set the range of the knob from clean solo boost range (0 - 6dB or so, for finer control) to "kick my edge of breakup amp in the nose hard enough to make it louder and dirtier" range of boost. It was handy to save space, and the two functions are closely related, so it made sense to me to combine them....

Last edited:
The one application that comes to mind for an SP-1 is combining a global volume pedal with a solo boost in one device.

Back in the day, before my Axe days, I built a buffered volume pedal in a dead Crybaby housing, engaged by the toe switch, and with a knob and switch sprouting out the side. The knob set the amount of boost and the switch set the range of the knob from clean solo boost range (0 - 6dB or so, for finer control) to "kick my edge of breakup amp in the nose hard enough to make it louder and dirtier" range of boost. It was handy to save space, and the two functions are closely related, so it made sense to me to combine them....
Right, and I also had it set to shut one on and off without auto engage, I forgot the reason but recommended it but yes, it’s to augment an effect and then shut it off completely

Mission SP-1 for Wah if you like the toggle switch if not then the EP-1 for auto engage, EV-1 for Volume and I'm waiting for the EV-2's to come back into stock so I can control a couple of other functions in certain presets like rotary and trem speed.

Back
Top Bottom