help me choose a new guitar :)

simeon

Axe-Master
i'm thinking about getting a 7 string. i wouldn't be using it live so much as for tracking in the studio

my budget is about £500/$800

i'd like a trem, but preferably not a floyd
i'd like a narrow nut width and a slim neck
i'd like something that's not too "metal"
i'd prefer an ebony board

i'm looking at the PRS SE7, which has a 42mm nut but no trem. Thomann in germany are doing them for about £590 and they have a model with an ebony board, which would be a preferred option for me

i'm also looking at the Sterling JP70. it has a 50mm nut width (which may be a bit too much for me), but it has a nice non-floyd trem. thomann has them for £625 which is over my budget, but guitar center has them for $550, which is a crazy good deal. i'd have to ask someone in the states to buy it for me and ship it, because guitar center don't ship to the uk

there's also the ibanez iron label series - they have a couple in that price range, but without trems...there's jackson, schecter, esp and more and also used ibanez rg series as an option (although hard to find here in the uk and a confusing number of models)

anybody got any advice for me? i've read mixed reviews about the PRS and very good reviews about the JP70....

i'd be happy to pick something up used, as it may already have upgraded pickups, or it could do it myself, but it's knowing what to look for...i

cheers!

I would suggest Cliff help you buy it and ship it to UK in exchange for you doing beta testing... muuaaahaaahaaa ;)

yes, i've seen a lot of recommendations for those MIJ RG series. the RG7620 in particular is supposed to be very good.

I have a PRS SE7, and I like it. Don't play it too much, though, as I have trouble enough to master 6 strings.
You've read mixed reviews? I thought they were considered great instruments for the money.

IMO The PRS seems to check all the boxes for you. I believe the SE series guitars are built by World Guitars in Korea who are generally regarded as a good builder.

If you know that, perhaps you can tell me who builds Agile guitars? I know they're out of S Korea, and very high quality instruments. I've owned a number of them and am always impressed.

yes, i've seen a lot of recommendations for those MIJ RG series. the RG7620 in particular is supposed to be very good.

Those old MIJ RG's are really good for the price you pay. I'm currently in the proces of refinishing and upgrading an old RG7421 (non-trem) as my first sevenstring guitar. Only payed 200€ for it and have already done new inlaywork, sanded the body down, have a hipshot replacement bridge ready to go, ...

Here are some pictures of the proces:

RG7421 Refinish Project - In Progress - SevenString.org

subscribed! that's coming along really nicely!

as for the PRS SE7 - 99% of the reviews i've read have been good...there was just one comment from somebody on a forum who'd said he tried two and didn't think either of them were great.

the JP70 seems like the obvious choice, but the 50mm nut width kinda scares me slightly....the 42mm nut of the PRS is exactly what i have now on my main gigging guitar, so i would imagine the transition would be much easier. also the JP70 seems impossible to get here in the UK....and costs more....

If you know that, perhaps you can tell me who builds Agile guitars? I know they're out of S Korea, and very high quality instruments. I've owned a number of them and am always impressed.

Agile built by Mirr in Korea. Rondo gives order to Indie music and Indie has Mirr produce product. Knowing Mirr, they build the Les Paul's and ESP style guitars. The hollow bodies and fender styles are most likely a different factory. Mirr is an excellent builder.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Have you looked at DBz guitars? I haven't personally played one but they are on my radar. I know Rex scored a sweet deal on a used one a while back and said he loves it. Seems like nice guitars for the money. Another one worth mentioning is Chapman guitars. The Chappers has his own line of guitars and they seem like they are really nice.

Last edited:
When you are unsure about a guitar purchase it is always best to buy used. In the event you chose incorrectly, you can hopefully get back out for the cost of inbound freight. In other words, avoid new guitar depreciation unless you are certain.

Back
Top Bottom